Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson gold waranty

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

I want to register for the gold warranty on my 56 vos. The online form asks for a product code and I don't know what it is. I emailed customer service the day after my purchase but have heard nothing. I emailed them again from Gmail 4 days later In case they didn't get the other one for any reason and nothing on that either. I believe I have to register it within 15 days to get the lifetime warranty and that's up tomorrow.

Any ideas? Thanks

Guest FarnsBarns

a US company cannot refuse to honor a warranty due to failure to register said product. In other words, those cards don't mean $h!t. [biggrin]

Thanks but....

Legal speaking, in Europe, they can offer a warranty above and beyond one's statutory rights but attach the condition of registration. My contract of sale is with a UK dealer and the wholesaler is Gibson Europe. They might honor it anyway but I'd rather not risk it for the sake of a product code. Especially as the warranty only applies to the original purchaser which kind of justifies the condition.

Thanks but....

Legal speaking, in Europe, they can offer a warranty above and beyond one's statutory rights but attach the condition of registration. My contract of sale is with a UK dealer and the wholesaler is Gibson Europe. They might honor it anyway but I'd rather not risk it for the sake of a product code. Especially as the warranty only applies to the original purchaser which kind of justifies the condition.

sucks to be you i guess. lolz

Take a look at any and all tags and papers that came with your guitar, and also the receipt. The product code for a 56 Reissue should look something like LPR6. I am not sure if there is anything added for the VOS or glossy finishes, but if you find a code on something that looks like LPR6 that will be the product code. I have to admit my memory is a bit rusty as to whether or not the code includes the hardware and finish codes i.e. LPSWRGH (if I remember correctly) would be for a LP Studio, Wine Red, with Gold Hardware. If you cannot find it on any documentation then you can call the store and ask them if they know it. I believe that your warranty would be honoured by the UK or European wholesaler anyway. At least that was the way it always used to be. Even in Canada our warranty is handled by Yorkville Sound who is the distributor in Canada. It was the same for all Gibsons sold outside of the USA. You might want to call the shop and confirm that with them too. I still register my guitars on the Gibson site although I am in Canada, I figure it can't hurt, so go ahead and register yours too when you find the code.

I will do some looking and see what I can find out for you WRT the product code and warranty.

Cheers

More information:

**Customers who purchased product outside the U.S should contact their local distributor for the handling and resolution of all warranty issues as the above-described Gibson Gold Warranty is not applicable.

This is from; http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/GibsonUSAWarranty/

Guest FarnsBarns

Thanks Raptor.

My COA says LPR6 so that's what I entered. Interesting that it says not valid outside the US, they definitely have a similar lifetime warranty over here. Anywho, for the sake of an online form I feel it's best to fill it in regardless.

Thanks again.

Farnsbarns,

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I did get some more information on the product codes. I was worried I was forgetting somethings and concerned now that they added the VOS/glossy finish options. The basic format for the product code is model/finish colour/hardware colour so the exact code for your 56 reissue would be LPR6VOAGNH1; LPR6VO= 1956 LP reissue VOS(not sure what glossy would be GL perhaps);AG= Antique Gold; NH1= Nickel Hardware. I had totally forgoten about the 1 at the end, although no one at Gibson has ever explained the reason for it to me. I forget a lot of the codes and there are a lot of new models too, but the LP reissues start with LPRX X= model year, the Black Beauties are LPRXBB, the LP Standard was just LP, the Studio LPS and so on. I will see what I can dig out and maybe we can put up a sticky with the codes to help out others.

davidl,

you are right that the distributors officially only offer a 1 year warranty. The website simply says that the Gold Warranty does not apply outside of the US. Another thing to note is that if you buy a guitar, mail order from the US, the only way to get the warranty honoured is to return the guitar to the US. In other words Yorkville can refuse to repair the guitar you bought at GC and tell you to send it back to them for repair. However, it has been my experience that if you have a good relationship with your music store they will usually do what they can to help you out if you have any legitimate problems within a reasonable time.

Cheers

p.s. This has been a heck of a reply to write. My 8 month old Macaw has been crawling all over me trying to type on the laptop. I told her she was only an assistant and couldn't type a reply until she can say Les Paul and identify at least an LP and a Strat on sight.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest FarnsBarns

Just remembered this thread. I did get an email back from Gibson eventually, stating that the lifetime warranty is not valid if bought outside the us. Funny thing is, on the gold warranty card in the case there is no mention of that so whether they intended it, or like it, they HAVE given me a lifetime warranty, I hope to never use it although, my guitar is in for repair right now under the not gold warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW !!!!! I can't believe this thread came back to life. To answer the question have you ever used the Warranty?

Yup , anytime I have a problem, that is either under the first year coverage or when a part is defective. I always bring it to My local Autherized

Gibson Tech first. I always go with my reciept.He has always been helpful and Gibson has always done right by me . Even after the 1st. year. They have fixed ,replaced or repaired anything that was needed. Not there have been many issues. But stuff does happen. Gibson has always treated me right and I have thanked them Here and on any other forum, just the same. The guys at CS have always been great to deal with and get any problem or question I have they get resolved or answered. they honor their warranty.

Guest FarnsBarns

I have to say, since this thread I have experienced Gibson's after sales service. There were problems but when they came to light Gibson went to the moon and back to put it right.

Top work.

I want to register for the gold warranty on my 56 vos. The online form asks for a product code and I don't know what it is. I emailed customer service the day after my purchase but have heard nothing. I emailed them again from Gmail 4 days later In case they didn't get the other one for any reason and nothing on that either. I believe I have to register it within 15 days to get the lifetime warranty and that's up tomorrow.

Any ideas? Thanks

Hey Man,

my philosophy is that it it's working for the first -let's say 2-3 months and there are no hickups, then a Gibson, especially a Les Paul should last you a lifetime, and beyond

I can't see why the concern for a warranty- make sure you have a good qualified guitar tech. to set it up for you-that's if you can't yourself and periodically have adjustments made every 12-18 months

The only issue I can see is the neck, bowing, twisting, stuff like that and all this can be solved and rectified with your guitar tech

I can't see any issues down the track with electronics, pickups, any other hardware, as I said if it's working ok from the start, then I can't imagine what can go wrong

Cheers, Mick from OZ!!!msp_thumbup.gif

I live in the UK and I have bought all my Gibson's here. I have had minor problems with one of my Gibson's and I was outside of the 1 Year warranty. I contacted Gibson Customer Services and they were very helpful! They honored my request to have the instrument repaired under warranty and for that I was very thankful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as another example, My local Gibson dealer got me another Bridge for my "V" I bought in 2008. the 50th. Comm. 1. Cost

$0.00, free of charge. I went to the store yesterday and picked it up. talk about suprised. I will say it again . by me Gibson has been great and does the right thing to make good. thanks Gibson

Just as another example, My local Gibson dealer got me another Bridge for my "V" I bought in 2008. the 50th. Comm. 1. Cost

$0.00, free of charge. I went to the store yesterday and picked it up. talk about suprised. I will say it again . by me Gibson has been great and does the right thing to make good. thanks Gibson

Nice to see some good Gibson stories. I for one love the brand.

Too bad people tend to report bad stuff more often than good stuff.

The good far outweighs the bad in my opinion.

Dave

Guest FarnsBarns

Nice to see some good Gibson stories. I for one love the brand.

Too bad people tend to report bad stuff more often than good stuff.

The good far outweighs the bad in my opinion.

Dave

You are right, that's why I thought I owed it to Gibson to come back and tell the happy experience I eventually had some tme after starting this thread!

It's easy to whine when things go wrong but not many make the effort to tell a happy story.

They say that a happy customer will, on average, tell 4 people about there experience but an unhappy one will tell, on average, 42 people about their bad experience.

Archived