Gibson Brands Forums

Dumb Question, I admit but would still like some ideas

glennc

Hello,

This is an unusual request for opinions and advice. I want to make my Les Paul Studio heavier, by several pounds. Something like drilling holes from the hardware cavities into the hollow chambers an pouring molten lead in. To silly. Just I love the guitar it is just too light and IMHO improperly balanced. Anyone willing to chime in on this silly idea is appreciated and welcome.

glennc

i eagerly await the results of this experiment. [rolleyes]

or you could sell it and buy an older, non-chambered studio.

Hello FennRx,

Don't hold your breath. It will be a long time before I do anything like that. In reference to purchasing another non-chambered, I barely afforded this one. I can live with it! Thanks for the response.

glennc

Do you think your guitar is not balanced due to it being neck-heavy, or is the lower bout of the body too heavy to balance on your knee? You could see if a local machine shop would make you a stop-bar out of steel, lol. That would add some weight.

Hello strat-o-steve,

It is neck heavy without or without strap, plus it feels wrong to me. I am just wondering if anyone has been experimental enought to try options that were success full. In reference to a steel stop bar, I don't believe it would provide enough weight.

Thanks for advice on a strange question.

glennc

I've been thinking of the same thing, a way to fill up my hollow studio without making it a dud and not being able to undo if it doesn't work out. The fill has to bond and become one with the wood so it breaths and doesn't mute the resonance of the body but enhances it. Think I'm outa luck, so I bought a traditional.

I've been thinking of the same thing, a way to fill up my hollow studio without making it a dud and not being able to undo if it doesn't work out. The fill has to bond and become one with the wood so it breaths and doesn't mute the resonance of the body but enhances it. Think I'm outa luck, so I bought a traditional.

Hello DiamondJig,

Ultimately, what you and strat-o-steve advised is the only real answer. But that will be a while. Maybe a weighted guitar strap on the bottom side, might simulate what I want, without altering the guitars sound. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Thanks for your replies.

glennc

Seems silly to me but what can you do. In future, don't buy a guitar you're not 100% about and you'll avoid things like this.

This guy did it but the pictures aren't loading up for me. Sign up at MLP and send him a message if you're serious.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/55588-weight-unrelieving-les-paul-how.html

Well, at least he's not alone in the Universe... :blink:

Seems silly to me but what can you do. In future, don't buy a guitar you're not 100% about and you'll avoid things like this.

This guy did it but the pictures aren't loading up for me. Sign up at MLP and send him a message if you're serious.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/55588-weight-unrelieving-les-paul-how.html

Hello R9,

I am glad to hear your sentiments on this subject. If I had the money, I would have purchased an 58 Les Paul VOS new. That I would be 100% about. Since this is not the case, I chose to buy the least expensive American Made Gibson Les Paul. My bad. Thanks for the link, can't see the pictures either and don't believe I'd have the energy to do it anyway. I was thinking to make it easier I could use depleted Uranium pellets poured in the cavity. You could always pour them back out and retain it authenticity. Necessity is a mother.

Thanks for the reply and the site.

glennc

As a matter of interest does your LP have Klusons or Grovers?

It may sound nuts but I had a Grover-equipped LP which felt neck-heavy because even that small amount of extra mass (compared with a set of Klusons) right at the 'far end' of the instrument was enough to make it feel, IMO, unbalanced.

I don't suppose it would be easy to find out if this would make enough of a difference for you but it's worth a thought.

And at least no-one here has responded quite like the #9 post on the MLP thread...LOL!

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.

you could use lead pellets (sinkers) from your closest "bait shop" but I strongly advise against MOLTEN lead, as this would burn the wood and cause irreprable damage.

google and watch the videos re: bullet casting, primitive weapons......notice the wood burning away.

Howdy Bender 4 Life,

Thank your for your cautionary advise. Makes sense. I appreciate your thoughtful incite. I will probably just live with it, it is not that big a deal... I'm gonna save my effort into removing the burstbuckers, and installing a 57 Classic in the neck position and a P94T in the bridge. That should keep my mind off of it. But still, lingering, is and idea of making a nylon coated braided fishing wire loop attached to a weight (no idea of size) and just hang it off the lower strap peg. Time and changing interests will tell. Boy, why was I born good looking instead of rich? Take care Sir.

glennc

...And at least no-one here has responded quite like the #9 post on the MLP thread...LOL!

P.

Or number 3...

Hello R9,

I am glad to hear your sentiments on this subject. If I had the money, I would have purchased an 58 Les Paul VOS new. That I would be 100% about. Since this is not the case, I chose to buy the least expensive American Made Gibson Les Paul. My bad. Thanks for the link, can't see the pictures either and don't believe I'd have the energy to do it anyway. I was thinking to make it easier I could use depleted Uranium pellets poured in the cavity. You could always pour them back out and retain it authenticity. Necessity is a mother.

Thanks for the reply and the site.

glennc

A flaw in the logic. If you can afford to acquire depleted uranium, you can certainly afford that R8! And BTW, I don't think anyone can see those pics in that other thread, I think they have probably been taken down at some point (I was logged in and have "permission" to view pics there, and saw nothing).

Hello T Bone,

Maybe I'm missing the useful information of your post. Could you maybe clarify it. It seems only a type of ridicule, but I may be wrong!

glennc

Well, I was making the point that (surprising to me) you were not to only one to consider such a madness for your method. You were mostly on track though.

But TBH, the whole idea of pouring molten lead into your guitar (with all the potential pitfalls of burning wood, destroying electronics and killing the instrument's resonance) just seems ludicrous to me. You yourself called the idea "silly" in your initial post. And you did ask for opinions.

Okay, you asked for advice too. Hang a lead weight from the back end of the strap. Done. Or get used to and learn to appreciate the instrument as it is (you're halfway there now, you already said "Just I love the guitar"). And start saving for that R8. If it's what you really want, make it a goal and strive for it. Start with five bucks if you have to, but put a little aside each time you get paid. Eventually, it will happen.

As a matter of interest does your LP have Klusons or Grovers?

It may sound nuts but I had a Grover-equipped LP which felt neck-heavy because even that small amount of extra mass (compared with a set of Klusons) right at the 'far end' of the instrument was enough to make it feel, IMO, unbalanced.

I don't suppose it would be easy to find out if this would make enough of a difference for you but it's worth a thought.

And at least no-one here has responded quite like the #9 post on the MLP thread...LOL!

P.

Hello pippy,

That is an interesting avenue of thought. With the leverage of being all the way out on the headstock, I can see the concept. Good investigative thinking. In my case though, the guitar is stock with the Gibson Deluxe Tuners. I don't know all the terminology but they are the NOT-Grover type. They eventually will, but not as of now.

Yes the answers, that poor OP got were off the scale childishness for the most part, it seemed that answering members(for the most part) were more interested in having a mean type of fun at his apparently successful for him, experiment. I am assuming that this type of behavior is aberrant and does not represent the majority of the membership at that site.

I appreciate your thinking about helping my issue and not taking cheap shots. So far this site's members have been nothing but Gentlemen and Ladies, willing to help, for the most part. I'm going to save up and in about 10 years I'm going to buy my 58 VOS.

Viva Gibson.

Or number 3...

A flaw in the logic. If you can afford to acquire depleted uranium, you can certainly afford that R8! And BTW, I don't think anyone can see those pics in that other thread, I think they have probably been taken down at some point (I was logged in and have "permission" to view pics there, and saw nothing).

Well, I was making the point that (surprising to me) you were not to only one to consider such a madness for your method. You were mostly on track though.

But TBH, the whole idea of pouring molten lead into your guitar (with all the potential pitfalls of burning wood, destroying electronics and killing the instrument's resonance) just seems ludicrous to me. You yourself called the idea "silly" in your initial post. And you did ask for opinions.

Okay, you asked for advice too. Hang a lead weight from the back end of the strap. Done. Or get used to and learn to appreciate the instrument as it is (you're halfway there now, you already said "Just I love the guitar"). And start saving for that R8. If it's what you really want, make it a goal and strive for it. Start with five bucks if you have to, but put a little aside each time you get paid. Eventually, it will happen.

Or number 3...

Hello T Bone,

So I was right in that I couldn't find any helpful advice. The idea of pouring molten lead in the guitar seemed extreme and was used as a possible example. That is why I asked for help and opinions. As for asking for opinions the wording of your response seemed to be an inside joke at the childish behavior I read in the MLP thread, on his question. Sounded more like supposed adults getting personal giggles at a honest post. This I must admit set my tripwires at high alert. Then the opinion you gave was that you, and I may be wrong, were personally entertained by the childish treatment of that OP and wished to lump me in with his insults. That is not giving an relevant or necessary opinion IMHO. If I am wrong I apologize!

The point of depleted uranium, which is unavailable IIRC to the general public was just a joke! Although it might work. As previously stated in prior posts in this thread, I will just probably live with it. Other than the weight, which is a matter of personal taste, I do like the guitar. My personal situation with the Mrs. is that I can trade any of my toys for different toys, but not spend new money on more toys. This is how I acquired the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded.

I can appreciate the incredulity of your thoughts about this admitted silly project, though the expression on public forum seems unnecessary. For now I consider it "Water under the bridge." Take care Sir, and hopefully we will share ideas on future adventures in the obscure [thumbup] .

glennc

I know you said you couldn't seriously consider trading in the guitar for something else, but you also said you "love the guitar it is just too light and IMHO improperly balanced" and that you're "gonna save my effort into removing the burstbuckers, and installing a 57 Classic in the neck position and a P94T in the bridge" & "it has Gibson Deluxe Tuners...but they are the NOT-Grover type. They eventually will, but not as of now."

You sure you just love that guitar? Doesn't seem you are really happy with it too much at all...weight is wrong, balance is poor, you are planning on swapping out the PUPs and eventually changing the tuners...not sure what else is left to love. Since it is welcomed, my opinion would be to do what you need to do to get a different guitar you might love even more ASAP.

I know you said you couldn't seriously consider trading in the guitar for something else, but you also said you "love the guitar it is just too light and IMHO improperly balanced" and that you're "gonna save my effort into removing the burstbuckers, and installing a 57 Classic in the neck position and a P94T in the bridge" & "it has Gibson Deluxe Tuners...but they are the NOT-Grover type. They eventually will, but not as of now."

You sure you just love that guitar? Doesn't seem you are really happy with it too much at all...weight is wrong, balance is poor, you are planning on swapping out the PUPs and eventually changing the tuners...not sure what else is left to love. Since it is welcomed, my opinion would be to do what you need to do to get a different guitar you might love even more ASAP.

Hello jmg257,

I did not explain myself clearly enough. I really like the guitar for what it is, the least expensive American made Les Paul. Believe me, if I could have afforded better, I would have. I now consider this my Hot Rod guitar. As time goes along I can mod it anyway I want, lower the roof, take off the fenders type of thing.

This can all be at my leisure and as finances accrue, bit by bit. Sure, I think I would like a Traditional Pro better, but the prices aren't even close. Like Dr. Frankenstein I will create a new guitar from the parts of other guitars. BTW, I don't like the pickguard either and would like pointers on the knobs. Time will tell.

Thanks for you logic and opinion. Take care.

glennc

Ahh - gotcha! OK - that is pretty cool, then! Enjoy! :)

Just got it back from getting setup. Sounds even better now, no buzzing. Maybe I'm fixated but to me they don't sound as warm and classy as the 57's. Well opinion being what they are it appears it's gonna run me approx.

$270 to purchase and have the pickups, new CTS Pots, and capacitors installed ready to rock. Now since I nothing to trade, I'll save up for it. Saw a youtube with P-94T in bridge and a SD '50 Humbucker in the neck. I thought it sounded pretty good.

glennc

I'd start with brass backplates, the ones I've seen add some nice weight without any modification.

Howdy DestructorsKillMusic1982,

I am not sure what you mean by backplate, sorry. I need like 2 to 3 pounds to get it the right weight and it is not really that important or worth the time, money and effort. I am starting to get used to it as long as I don't play my Epiphone (Pre-China Ban) les paul standard. Thats where these burstbucker pro's will probably end up. Thanks for the reply and idea.

glennc

Hi glennc,

I don't think putting different tuners or a heavier tailpiece will achieve what you want. Hanging a weight on the end of the strap might help but then how do you keep it from swinging around and bashing things up or getting in the way? The problems to consider if you add weight to the body are these, how will it affect the tone and resonance? How do you keep the weight from working loose inside the guitar? I assume that you have one of the chambered models and I forget exactly where the chambers are located. I believe there are x-rays of them around showing the locations of the chambers and I seem to remember most of the lightening being done in the mid to forward body area. Ideally it would be nice if you could do this without having to cut or drill through the top or back. If you can find an x-ray of one, and if there is chambering near the back of the body, you might be able to drill laterally (sideways) through either the bridge pickup cavity or control cavity. If so, you could drill the hole and insert the weight that way. Then I would not use molten metal but either pellets, beads, or small bars like wheel weights. Then rather than glue, use some of the expanding foam insulation that you can get at most home improvement stores. That will bond to the wood, fill up the chamber and should keep the weights from shifting around. If you cannot find a suitable chamber, then you could get a round switch cavity cover, rout out a hole in the back of the guitar, put the weight in there and then put the cover over it. Again I would use some of the expanding foam insulation to secure it. Mask off the guitar body well to keep from getting any of the foam on the guitar as it will probably ruin some of the finish. If you drill to a chamber you would be able to cut out and remove any excess foam. If you drill through the back, you can then trim the foam and sand it down until the cover fits.

I haven't looked at the other site, so if I have duplicated his ideas forgive me, but that is all that comes to mind right now for me.

Cheers

Archived