Gibson Brands Forums

Dumb Question, I admit but would still like some ideas

glennc

... I believe there are x-rays of them around showing the locations of the chambers and I seem to remember most of the lightening being done in the mid to forward body area......and if there is chambering near the back of the body, you might be able to drill laterally (sideways) through either the bridge pickup cavity or control cavity...

This may help.

Chamber_BFG_2007.jpg

P.

Hello! If You are really determined to do it, drill a hole from pot cavity and fill the chamber with thin resin or liquid timber. Better than hot metal, at least won't damage the instrument. Not sure it will make it better tough, but who knows...Maybe You come up with a revolutionary solution in guitar technology. [smile]

I'd start with brass backplates, the ones I've seen add some nice weight without any modification.

Howdy DestructorsKillMusic1982,

I apologize for the time it took for my brain to kick in. Brass backplates sound like an elegant help. They will certainly help.

Thanks

glennc

Hi glennc,

I don't think putting different tuners or a heavier tailpiece will achieve what you want. Hanging a weight on the end of the strap might help but then how do you keep it from swinging around and bashing things up or getting in the way? The problems to consider if you add weight to the body are these, how will it affect the tone and resonance? How do you keep the weight from working loose inside the guitar? I assume that you have one of the chambered models and I forget exactly where the chambers are located. I believe there are x-rays of them around showing the locations of the chambers and I seem to remember most of the lightening being done in the mid to forward body area. Ideally it would be nice if you could do this without having to cut or drill through the top or back. If you can find an x-ray of one, and if there is chambering near the back of the body, you might be able to drill laterally (sideways) through either the bridge pickup cavity or control cavity. If so, you could drill the hole and insert the weight that way. Then I would not use molten metal but either pellets, beads, or small bars like wheel weights. Then rather than glue, use some of the expanding foam insulation that you can get at most home improvement stores. That will bond to the wood, fill up the chamber and should keep the weights from shifting around. If you cannot find a suitable chamber, then you could get a round switch cavity cover, rout out a hole in the back of the guitar, put the weight in there and then put the cover over it. Again I would use some of the expanding foam insulation to secure it. Mask off the guitar body well to keep from getting any of the foam on the guitar as it will probably ruin some of the finish. If you drill to a chamber you would be able to cut out and remove any excess foam. If you drill through the back, you can then trim the foam and sand it down until the cover fits.

I haven't looked at the other site, so if I have duplicated his ideas forgive me, but that is all that comes to mind right now for me.

Cheers

Hello Raptor,

First thanks for replying. I've seen the X-Ray and may be able to find it again. On the other site, it appears as if the whole process that poor guy used was deleted. You have put some thought into it, The foam idea to keep things from shifting around, cool. I think there could be a cottage industry if the proper materials and technique could be found, that would increase the weight without adversely affecting the natural resonance. Some epoxy resin with lead pellets would pretty much seal the cavities in essence making it a solid body guitar. Unfortunately, I don't believe I am willing to be the experiment. Pretty good thinking. Thanks for the great ideas.

glennc

This may help.

Chamber_BFG_2007.jpg

P.

pippy,

Thanks for finding the photo. It looks like there is a lot of room, and it could all be assessable from the tuner cavity. Idle hands are the devils workshop. Just kidding. I think with so many Reissues and Traditionals that there is a market for a viable method, whatever that may be.

Appreciate it pippy.

glennc

Hello! If You are really determined to do it, drill a hole from pot cavity and fill the chamber with thin resin or liquid timber. Better than hot metal, at least won't damage the instrument. Not sure it will make it better tough, but who knows...Maybe You come up with a revolutionary solution in guitar technology. [smile]

Hey btoth76,

I was thinking about that. May start a new industry. Great idea. Wonder what the volume of the cavities are. Then we could figure out what to suspend in the resin, BB's, lead shot, etc.

glennnc

Hello Glennc! Looking at the x-ray picture sent by Pippy, You could easily drill a hole on the pot cavity wall thru the jack tunnel. Then fill it up with lead shots and resin! If it improves the guitar's sound, You can start a business: Unchambering Gibsons! You will earn billions! O:)

Thank You Glennc for offering this rare opportunity being the first person to own a filled-up LP, but I think I can live with those chambers... But I promise, if I'll be given 20 LPs by someone, I will send You one for experimenting, and if I hear about someone who wants to be pioneer, I'll inform You. :)

Thank You Glennc for offering this rare opportunity being the first person to own a filled-up LP, but I think I can live with those chambers... But I promise, if I'll be given 20 LPs by someone, I will send You one for experimenting, and if I hear about someone who wants to be pioneer, I'll inform You. :)

Hey btoth76,

I certainly appreciate the offer. Might I suggest you send on of those 20, preferably a 58 VOS Reissue to me, to use as a comparison. You know you have to have a set model to emulate. Be assured I will cherish it and keep it forever mint.

glennc

glennc.......this may be an oversimplified and anticlimactic remedy, (it's also very inexpensive) but have you tried a 3" wide suede leather strap with it??

I have 2 geets that are horribly neck heavy, and the suede strap keep both perfectly in place unless I actually lift the strap from my shoulder and re-position it.......

maybe i've just seen the forest for the trees.........

You are welcome! As soon as I receive those 20 LPs, the '58 VOS will be sent to You for using it as an etalon. It would be a pleasure for me to do so. Although I am afraid Your experiment will be delayed a bit. [biggrin]

Howdy btoth76,

You are kind and munificent person. Although I will not hold my breath, I will await eagerly the receipt of both guitars, did I mention eagerly?

Thanks for your interest in the name of scientific research and expanding the limits of man's knowledge. A true visionary.

glennc

glennc.......this may be an oversimplified and anticlimactic remedy, (it's also very inexpensive) but have you tried a 3" wide suede leather strap with it??

I have 2 geets that are horribly neck heavy, and the suede strap keep both perfectly in place unless I actually lift the strap from my shoulder and re-position it.......

maybe i've just seen the forest for the trees.........

Hello Bender 4 Life,

Thanks for a simple, elegant and possibly successful idea. I have some heavy suede leather straps. Will give it a try. Although I prefer the experimental procedure I am setting up with btoth76, better. Will let you know. Cool.

glennc

Hello jmg257,

I did not explain myself clearly enough. I really like the guitar for what it is, the least expensive American made Les Paul. Believe me, if I could have afforded better, I would have. I now consider this my Hot Rod guitar. As time goes along I can mod it anyway I want, lower the roof, take off the fenders type of thing.

This can all be at my leisure and as finances accrue, bit by bit. Sure, I think I would like a Traditional Pro better, but the prices aren't even close. Like Dr. Frankenstein I will create a new guitar from the parts of other guitars. BTW, I don't like the pickguard either and would like pointers on the knobs. Time will tell.

Thanks for you logic and opinion. Take care.

glennc

Why not find a piece of mahogany or an even heavier wood and cut it to the shape of the back of the guitar? You could then use double stick tape or velcro to see if it makes it feel like what you like. Then if you decide you would like to keep it this way you could come up with a more "Permanent solution" by either using some wood screws to affix the back plate on. Then if you want to remove it you could unscrew it and fill the holes if neccessary. You could also have a route to acces the control cavity. If you really like this and think you will never sell the guitar you could actually sand the finish off the back of the guitar and Glue/laminate the wood directly to the back. Obvioulsy it would be a bit thicker but you might have the first "Fat Gibson Les Paul" !!! I Think you willl end up with better tone this way IMHO..

Andy

Why not find a piece of mahogany or an even heavier wood and cut it to the shape of the back of the guitar? You could then use double stick tape or velcro to see if it makes it feel like what you like. Then if you decide you would like to keep it this way you could come up with a more "Permanent solution" by either using some wood screws to affix the back plate on. Then if you want to remove it you could unscrew it and fill the holes if neccessary. You could also have a route to acces the control cavity. If you really like this and think you will never sell the guitar you could actually sand the finish off the back of the guitar and Glue/laminate the wood directly to the back. Obvioulsy it would be a bit thicker but you might have the first "Fat Gibson Les Paul" !!! I Think you willl end up with better tone this way IMHO..

Andy

Hey rectorE2,

That is another avenue of approach. The inventiveness of the human mind is limitless. With that extra back it would feel like playing a very heavy ES-175 with better fret access. Good thinking.

glennc

Step 1. Buy stock in "Minwax" company.

Step 2. Purchase enough of this product to fill the chamber:

mediamydoitbestcomimagerequestaspxsku793564&size2&warehouseC&newsize200.jpg

Step 3. Enjoy a tonelicious, heavier guitar.

It will bond with the existing wood and add some weight.

Seriously... I think someone joined the board at one time and wanted to fill the chamber with cement [confused]

Step 1. Buy stock in "Minwax" company.

Step 2. Purchase enough of this product to fill the chamber:

mediamydoitbestcomimagerequestaspxsku793564&size2&warehouseC&newsize200.jpg

Step 3. Enjoy a tonelicious, heavier guitar.

Hello to you ChanMan,

The diversity of human thought and ideas is remarkable. Yet another avenue to approach in the quest to make a chambered LP feel like we want them to! That is probably a good choice there. Thanks

glennc

It will bond with the existing wood and add some weight.

Seriously... I think someone joined the board at one time and wanted to fill the chamber with cement [confused]

Don't change the weight of your guitar to adjust the balance. Move the tail end strap button up about 1" away from the jack. This will lower the center of gravity in relation to the strap, which will cause the body to sink while the neck will rise. Try it, it will work.

Don't change the weight of your guitar to adjust the balance. Move the tail end strap button up about 1" away from the jack. This will lower the center of gravity in relation to the strap, which will cause the body to sink while the neck will rise. Try it, it will work.

Howdy rcscruff,

Now that is a great idea slso. It won't change the weight but will the balance. Elegant. But I think I have for the moment taken care of the problem with Bender 4 Life's suggestion. I put a wide suede strap on it and it doesn't move at all. Hangs just where you put it.

Good easy call Bender 4 Life, thanks and thanks to all who have made this IMHO an interesting thread.

glennc

What's the problem with your guitar? If it's weight and you ad to it you'll probably change the tone and if you already like the tone, you could end up with a guitar that weights as much as you like but sounds as bad as your worst nightmares.

If the problem is your guitar is neck heavy, I sugest you get a nice leather strap that prevents your guitar from going down.

What's the problem with your guitar? If it's weight and you ad to it you'll probably change the tone and if you already like the tone, you could end up with a guitar that weights as much as you like but sounds as bad as your worst nightmares.

If the problem is your guitar is neck heavy, I sugest you get a nice leather strap that prevents your guitar from going down.

Hello Thundergod,

The thick strap is the answer for now. Next will be to sell it and get a higher quality Les Paul, maybe a Traditional Plus or the 60's Classics.

Thanks for your response. Actually the tone of the guitar is not that thrilling IMO and the Burstbuckers aren't my style either. But I have plans!!!!!

glennc

Archived