Gibson Brands Forums

fret tang corrosion?

tlwwalker

I got a new 2009 Gibson ES-335 Satin Black in March 2010

I have noticed a gree/turquise color on the fret tang only of four of the frets. I think it is a mild corrosion of the metal. This is visible on three from the top, one from the bottom.

This is an unbound fretboard, so the ends of the frets are visible on both sides (top & bottom) of this right handed instrument. The frets are completely seated. The ends of the frets appear to be below a clear finish material (laquer or nitrocellulose). There are no rough edges to the frets. This does not affect the comfort or playablity or tone. I wonder if this is just a natural, common and expected development of the instrument.

Has anyone any experience like what I have described above?

Per requests, here is a picture.

Top of neck, nut + first (green dot) and second fret (all clear)

Comments welcome.

Hmmm Looks like a case of fretboard shrinkage where sweat and moisture have gotten in there. You're going to have more trouble if you don't get that looked at.

It appears moisture has gotten under the finish and corroded the fret tangs. Not sure steel wool will do much good here. The corrosion is probably deeper into the fret slot. Either live with it or have it re-fretted, then a finish touch up to the neck in the area of the fret ends. I've seen green corrosion squidging out from under the frets the full width of the finger board. There is stainless fret wire available.

Archived