Gibson Brands Forums

Whats your new years playing resolution ?

EuroAussie

I will resolve not to spend too much of my redundancy package on Gibsons (although I'm quite tempted) at least until I have a regular income again.

When did all that happen AJ?

Sorry to hear that mate especially as this was the year when I was going to make you an offer you couldn't have refused to buy my SWD12!

Will give you a call later in January when I am up your way and will cheerfully buy you a pint!

Hope things change and will keep my ears open

John

When did all that happen AJ?

Sorry to hear that mate especially as this was the year when I was going to make you an offer you couldn't have refused to buy my SWD12!

Will give you a call later in January when I am up your way and will cheerfully buy you a pint!

Hope things change and will keep my ears open

John

Cheers mate. It's not all bad though as I was thinking about moving on for all sorts of reasons so I guess this just makes me do it. And I get several months salary for my troubles.

I've got 2 or 3 possible new homes to consider in very early Jan.

Thanks for thinking of me re your SWD12. There's a H'bird 12er in Charing Cross Road which is occupying much of my GAS thoughts. I'd love your opinion and you can buy me that beer too. All this after I have secured employment of course.

Since The Ashes got a mention in this thread I can't not mention how close England are to retaining them. Another late night tonight I fear.

• 1 year later...

My New Years playing resolution is to learn more popular music that everyone knows. 'till this point I focus on writing my own and when you hear a song for the 1st time, even if good, people can't seem to relate. So, to learn stuff people are familiar with is my goal. Also, to get my collection of instruments back up to par.

What a good idea to revive last years thread. It's like holding up a mirror.

Without being cocky I have to say I achieved a part of what I went out for in January '11. Moved, , , let's say half a step up (no not talking tuning) and stabilized my skills there – almost.

As for that 12-string intro I talked about in post 25, it got down on 'tape' after all.

A little nervous/busy, but not that bad - skipped the first part though. . .

Regarding 2012, I intend to go one third further, then establish my everyday living room on that floor.

And get rid of the slight pain that suddenly occurred when taking barres in early December – out of the way you little demon. . . .

Wwell I pretty much failed in my 2011 goals as I didnt really progress in fingerpicking (unsurprisingly its no 1 priority for 2012) and I only made small movement in getting better at improvisation.

But I genuinely think 2012 will be about those details. When I look back on 2011 we were so busy with gigging and learning new material that I probably most improved in rhythm and flatpicking, mainly because thats what the songs required that we were learning, so by default. But on the other hand we learned some 50 new songs during this year.

Now that we have a pretty decent reportoire and dont have to scramble madly to learn new tracks I can focus on those 'other' things I need to get around to.

Agree, great idea to rehatch where we were this time last year !

I now have the Chord/melody lines for THREE songs......My resolution is to finish them with words this coming year......by the way, how does one protect his songs by copyright???? (YES, they are that good....lol)

youtube is a simple way of at least having a record of when and who wrote a song . and you never know who's gonna see it . maybe lady gaga's lookin new material.

My New Year's resolution is to try and get better at the multitude of instruments I attempt to play. It's not easy to focus on one insturment when you're having so much fun with all of them. I'm truly a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none. "Try" is the key word in my resolution. My resolution is not that I will get better. My resolution is that I will "try." Anyway, no matter how hard I do or don't "try," I'll have fun trying to keep the resolution.

Last year my goal was an overly ambitious 8 songs recorded I was happy with (We will see if I can finish it by posting them before new years) along with general improvement. This year I want to begin investigating more styles of playing outside what my teacher is giving me and maybe look into a semi-hollow body or little electric to fiddle with. There is just so much to do with music I am fairly confident I could throw my entire life at it and still have massive gaps in my ability. But this year I am better than last year and next year here's hoping I am better than now.

Archived