Gibson Brands Forums

Stores with best selection of Gibsons

Guitar Man Friday

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first Gibson. An ES-335 or maybe an ES-175. I live in NYC and have found the best selection locally for new Gibson's is at the Guitar Center on 14th St. But even their they only had two 335's on display and zero 175's. Would anyone here suggest it being worth a trip to their factory stores at either Nashville or Memphis for a better selection to chose from?

Thanks,

James

I'd agree...

In fact, if I had the time and money I'd do the visit. Used to live in Memphis, in fact, before the Beale Street restoration and anything big Gibson there.

Call first, though, that's a great idea.

Either a 335 or 175 is a great choice. I prefer the 175 but... the 335 makes a great backup. <grin>

m

Nashville lost the Showcase in the flood last spring, and the deafening silence from Henry J on his forum when I asked if it would be reopened tells me you oughta book the trip to Memphis.

If the Showcase in Memphis is anything like the one in Nashville was, plan on spending an afternoon there playing guitars :)

James, do you have access to a car?

The GC on route 46 (westbound) in Totowa usually has a fair selection of Gibson electrics.

A little further out, also on route 46- eastbound, is Robbie's music ( http://robbiesmusiccity.com/shop/ ).

Along Route 4 (Paramus, NJ) there's a GC and a Sam Ash.

If you "mapquest" the locations, the 4 shops are within about a 1/2 hour of each other.

You could probably hit all 4 in a day (The stores on route 4 are CLOSED Sundays).

Obviously give them each a call to see what's in stock.

Happy hunting.

I'll just add this thought.

Nothing against Internet purchases, but I think if you're buying a $2-6,000 guitar, you should be able to play it first, then have a pro setup with your preferred strings on it - at no additional cost. But that's perhaps just a grouchy old man talking.

I do find it interesting that in one exchange on the "Talk with HenryJ" section, the Gibson chief himself recommends playing before paying on grounds that there are tiny differences among necks even of the same "model" that may make a difference in a player's comfort. I'll agree entirely.

m

I'll just add this thought.

Nothing against Internet purchases, but I think if you're buying a $2-6,000 guitar, you should be able to play it first, then have a pro setup with your preferred strings on it - at no additional cost. But that's perhaps just a grouchy old man talking.

I do find it interesting that in one exchange on the "Talk with HenryJ" section, the Gibson chief himself recommends playing before paying on grounds that there are tiny differences among necks even of the same "model" that may make a difference in a player's comfort. I'll agree entirely.

m

That's a good point. Never thought of that and guess that shows why I'm a novice lol. I've bought one guitar from musiciansfriend. It was a 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It had "slight wear" and had I been able to play it first I'd have noticed the 12th fret low E string buzz. Good advice! Bought other gear from there though.

James, do you have access to a car?

The GC on route 46 (westbound) in Totowa usually has a fair selection of Gibson electrics.

A little further out, also on route 46- eastbound, is Robbie's music ( http://robbiesmusiccity.com/shop/ ).

Along Route 4 (Paramus, NJ) there's a GC and a Sam Ash.

If you "mapquest" the locations, the 4 shops are within about a 1/2 hour of each other.

You could probably hit all 4 in a day (The stores on route 4 are CLOSED Sundays).

Obviously give them each a call to see what's in stock.

Happy hunting.

+1 on Robbies.

Craig

AJ....

Yeah, but you didn't pay $2-5k for the Epi, either.

As I said, I have nothing against MF, for example, as I've had basically good experience with them and there just isn't much around where I live as a "local" option. I wouldn't mind a shot at Sweetwater, either, from what I've heard.

OTOH, I'd not care to get a really pricey new Gibson without testing it first - then ensuring it's properly set up for what I do. That'd also include driving it home with me after paying for it - so there's then no question about any subsequent damage, although we all know you're gonna find "something" that's "imperfect" on any product you purchase that's more than a buck or two, but only after you've had it a cupla weeks or months.

m

Archived