Gibson Brands Forums

finding a Les paul Silverburst

Timmy87

Hello! I assume it will be very light. Studios are chambered. I've received my 50's Tribute Gold Top on 27th of Dec, and it is extremely light compared to the old '92 black Studio I had. As far as amplifiers are concerned I would vote on a full-tube amp. I have four of them. Can't compare them to valve-state, or solid-state amps. Tube amps sound richer, they do not cut off the nice harmonics that build up the sound of a guitar. For home a 15 watt combo shall be enough, but if You want to use it for gigs, get something over 50 watts. A separate head and cabinet is always better than a combo.

• 2 weeks later...

Question 1. As i've seen the Silverburst is chambered, when im ordering the guitar, I thought I should buy straplocks to, Any suggestions, difference between schaller and dunlop? Is it hard to change straplocks? i've seen the toothpick advice. Will there be any problem with chambered guitars?

Queston 2. What is good to polish the guitar with? As i've read you shouldn't put the guitar into a guitar stand beacuse of the finish, but what is the best to polish it with, Gibsons pump polish? I saw they have this 3 piece guitar care package, with gibson high gloss polish, fretboard cleaner, and string cleaner. Which is best to choose? //Timmy

Hello Timmy! I have no problems with my chambered LP. The only thing You'll notice it's light weight. Installing a straplock is easy, You will only need a screwdriver - a good idea indeed! It makes no difference whether You will install it on a solid or chambered guitar. I think Schaller has more historical connections with Gibson than Dunlop - just remember the machine heads used as replacement on many 70's LPs. The 3-piece care package sounds great, although I would recommend You to ask at the shop, what is the best cleaning compound for the finish of Your guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh congratulations! My next buy is a good tube amp =) So i'm kinda VERY VERY excited [biggrin]

Try as many of them as You can! I am using 40 year old amps, just because can't find any good one built these days...Take Your time!

I dont think we got that, unfourtantly Sweden doesn't have alot to offer on the instrument side:( I saw we have a 50's tribute GT at a local music store here in sweden, it costs about 1400 US dollar here, I think it's kinda expensive

I dont think we got that, unfourtantly Sweden doesn't have alot to offer on the instrument side:( I saw we have a 50's tribute GT at a local music store here in sweden, it costs about 1400 US dollar here, I think it's kinda expensive

Wow! That's even higher than here in Hungary! But we have 25% VAT on all products!!! I bought mine for 1200 USD here. Well...maybe I will buy that GT hanging on the wall at my favorite shop and take it to Sweden with me, next time I visit Gothenburg. Sounds like a good deal! :-k

Like everything else these days, Ebony has grown more expensive, and more highly regulated. You'll probably see Gibson restricting it's good ebony to the higher cost instruments. I've always preferred rosewood fingerboards, especially the beautiful Brazilian rosewoods. I have a PRS Singlecut with the entire neck made out of one piece of Brazillian Rosewood, it is the best feeling neck I've ever played.

I don't have any problem with Gibson using rosewood for alot of 'boards, unless they start dyeing the boards black to make them look like ebony! Then I'll cry 'Foul"!

Archived