Gibson Brands Forums

Comparing my Strat to my PRS

rocketman

I just realized that I had two versions I did of the Digital Man solo by Rush. On one I used my Strat with the S-1 switch down, which beefs up the sound. Here it is with the Strat (I'm playing along with it and then it's just me after that).

I then played the solo with the same amp settings using my Custom 24 PRS. Here is that solo (it's the second one).

As expected the PRS sound is much fuller and the sustain is out of this world. The pinch harmonics are really easy to nail down on the PRS (that solo tests your abilities to get those right). I love my Strat but for this tune it's the PRS all the way.

Well Rocketman; It's difficult to compare a Strat to a PRS, regardless of the models.....Alex mods his Strats anyways, but........Strats are great for Strat work, which is why I own four Strats..And PRS guitars are great for what they are good for......I do not own a PRS, but have almost purchased one twice.....Yup, your PRS sounds great..I'm not sure if you posed a question here, so, I'm just concuring with your thinking...

I just realized that I had two versions I did of the Digital Man solo by Rush. On one I used my Strat with the S-1 switch down, which beefs up the sound. Here it is with the Strat (I'm playing along with it and then it's just me after that).

I then played the solo with the same amp settings using my Custom 24 PRS. Here is that solo (it's the second one).

As expected the PRS sound is much fuller and the sustain is out of this world. The pinch harmonics are really easy to nail down on the PRS (that solo tests your abilities to get those right). I love my Strat but for this tune it's the PRS all the way.

HSS strat? I can get a very similar tone to my LP on my Mahogany strat with the S1 down, but it's not my favorite tone off the axe :)

I'll have to wait for Steam to finish my DL of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 before I listen to the versions.... I waited forever for the tunes to load but it seems as if my bandwidth is now at a premium :)

HSS strat? I can get a very similar tone to my LP on my Mahogany strat with the S1 down, but it's not my favorite tone off the axe :)

It's an American Ash Deluxe with noiseless single coil cobalt pickups. The S-1 switch definitely beefs up the sound. It has some good applications but overall I don't use it much. Before I got the PRS the Strat was the only guitar I had with a whammy bar. You can actually hear after the first dive I do it how it gets slightly out of tune (it's not that bad). The PRS is spot on though.

Archived