Gibson Brands Forums

Dunlop Original Wah problem...

Andre S

The first time in a month or so that I used the pedals, the wah wasn't working at all.....

It lets the signal through when off, but when its on, it cuts the signal entirely and emits a continuous, equal volume feedback type noise, that varies slightly when you rock the wah back and forth.

Any ideas? Or just pickup a new one eventually?

It lets the signal through when off, but when its on, it cuts the signal entirely and emits a continuous, equal volume feedback type noise, that varies slightly when you rock the wah back and forth.

isnt that what its supposed to do?

just return it and make yourself one like I did [flapper]

73966_155620134482417_100001032944902_305132_6788680_n.jpg

Have you opened it up and looked inside? I'd look for something loose or obviously in the wrong place on the circuit board.

The circuit board should look like this. Look at the back side to. Anything look like it's shorting out?

gcb95.jpg

Have you opened it up and looked inside? I'd look for something loose or obviously in the wrong place on the circuit board.

The circuit board should look like this. Look at the back side to. Anything look like it's shorting out?

gcb95.jpg

Nothing. Everything looks the same as the pic I took of the insides when it was working.

On the bright side, there is more necessity now to get the wah I really wanted. The Vox 847 and if I can't fix this one I'll convert it into a passive volume pedal.

Also are you using the proper power supply? Does it happen when you use a new battery?

When I first got my pedalboard power supply I used the barrel plug adapter for my Morley because it fit.

I had the same problem you described. The polarity of the tip was positive while the wah required a negative polarity.

I had to switch to the 9volt snap cable with that power supply and not the barrel plug cable.

Sounds like a problem with the stomp switch. Stick your finger under the pedal part and push the switch by hand a few times and see if that makes it work properly. The height of the switch has to be adjusted to an EXACT spot so that it doesn't switch on and off when you "wah'ing", and engages/disengages fully when operated by your foot on the pedal. In your case it seems it might be a little low. If the finger switching makes it turn on and off correctly, go inside the pedal and lower the clinch nut a hair, tighten the top nut. This will raise the switch a bit so that you get full clickey when pushing on he top of the pedal with your foot.

You also might spray a little contact cleaner around the base of the shaft of the switch.

Also are you using the proper power supply? Does it happen when you use a new battery?

When I first got my pedalboard power supply I used the barrel plug adapter for my Morley because it fit.

I had the same problem you described. The polarity of the tip was positive while the wah required a negative polarity.

I had to switch to the 9volt snap cable with that power supply and not the barrel plug cable.

I believe I am, the power supply is one of the cables from the Pedal Power 2+ that have always used with it.

L5 Larry: Is it possible for that to be an issue even though its always worked with the switch where it is?

Its never given trouble since I've bought it last year.

Sell it and buy a Vox,a Teese RMC Picture Wah or A Fulltone Clyde wah.Dunlop wahs are nothing like the original,the circuit boards are way different.I've bought new Dunlops and had them give out after a couple of months or right out of the box the pot sounded scratchy.BTW are you sure that the guitar is plugged into the right input on the pedal?On some wahs if you inadvertently put the guitar into the wrong input you'll get the funny sound that you describe.

Sell it and buy a Vox,a Teese RMC Picture Wah or A Fulltone Clyde wah.Dunlop wahs are nothing like the original,the circuit boards are way different.I've bought new Dunlops and had them give out after a couple of months or right out of the box the pot sounded scratchy.BTW are you sure that the guitar is plugged into the right input on the pedal?On some wahs if you inadvertently put the guitar into the wrong input you'll get the funny sound that you describe.

:o :-k

#-o

Oops.....hehe

Problem solved.....darn....no vox 847..... :-"

Thanks.

I didn't use it for a while and I guess I mixed up the inputs....hard to see the labels unless you go to read them....

No sh_t man! Were you just pluggin' it the wrong way? [lol]

If I had a dime for every time a band has showed up for rehearsal and asked if I could help with their pedals only to find out some input is wired to another input [biggrin]

That said, I'm glad you sorted it out. Nothing worst than unexpectedly having to spend money on new equipment.

Sounds like a problem with the stomp switch. Stick your finger under the pedal part and push the switch by hand a few times and see if that makes it work properly. The height of the switch has to be adjusted to an EXACT spot so that it doesn't switch on and off when you "wah'ing", and engages/disengages fully when operated by your foot on the pedal. In your case it seems it might be a little low. If the finger switching makes it turn on and off correctly, go inside the pedal and lower the clinch nut a hair, tighten the top nut. This will raise the switch a bit so that you get full clickey when pushing on he top of the pedal with your foot.

You also might spray a little contact cleaner around the base of the shaft of the switch.

Nevermind!

No sh_t man! Were you just pluggin' it the wrong way? [lol]

If I had a dime for every time a band has showed up for rehearsal and asked if I could help with their pedals only to find out some input is wired to another input [biggrin]

That said, I'm glad you sorted it out. Nothing worst than unexpectedly having to spend money on new equipment.

Yea, I actually do kinda like the dunlop wah....

When I first got my pedals and kept trying different configs through different amps, it sucked when I had everything done and ready to play and nothing worked only to find the inputs on one pedal I plugged in wrong.....[lol]

Archived