Gibson Brands Forums

Effects, Headphones and ES

rcwilk

Hi,

I'd like some suggestions on effects and pre-amps for semi-holow body guitars. I have a 335td, and typically am practicing in an apartment where I need to use headphones. Putting the guitar un-amped through my soundboard is ok most of the time for practice, but for effects, I am really having problems as the effects seem to be designed for amp play, not recording and headphones. Or maybe the effects I'm using were just meant for solid bodies, which seem to sound fine with these effects (see list I'm using below), but not my 335.

So, I'd like some suggestions on effects that really bring out the semi-hollow body sound without going through amps, ie for headphones and direct recording. (I'm talking about running the guitar through the effects, not adding them in later - I just have to hear them as I play to make it work for me).

I moved from pedal effects to the digitec rp200, but wasn't happy with that, and then Line 6 pod live, though typically I just pull out a pocket pod. The Line 6 seems ok for my solid bodies, but still doesn't work well with the 335

"Doesn't work well" So, now this is a bit subjective, but I would say that the effects I use with the 335 act like when I turn the 335 up to high on a live amp, ie it gets distored and gravelly, and I don't mean the good distortion and gravel that 335's can produce. Maybe someone has some experiments I can try to describe this better, or perhaps you have had experiences similar.

Thanks for any advice,

RC

Hi,

I'd like some suggestions on effects and pre-amps for semi-holow body guitars. I have a 335td, and typically am practicing in an apartment where I need to use headphones. Putting the guitar un-amped through my soundboard is ok most of the time for practice, but for effects, I am really having problems as the effects seem to be designed for amp play, not recording and headphones. Or maybe the effects I'm using were just meant for solid bodies, which seem to sound fine with these effects (see list I'm using below), but not my 335.

So, I'd like some suggestions on effects that really bring out the semi-hollow body sound without going through amps, ie for headphones and direct recording. (I'm talking about running the guitar through the effects, not adding them in later - I just have to hear them as I play to make it work for me).

I moved from pedal effects to the digitec rp200, but wasn't happy with that, and then Line 6 pod live, though typically I just pull out a pocket pod. The Line 6 seems ok for my solid bodies, but still doesn't work well with the 335

"Doesn't work well" So, now this is a bit subjective, but I would say that the effects I use with the 335 act like when I turn the 335 up to high on a live amp, ie it gets distored and gravelly, and I don't mean the good distortion and gravel that 335's can produce. Maybe someone has some experiments I can try to describe this better, or perhaps you have had experiences similar.

Thanks for any advice,

RC

I've been using the Toneworks AX1500G http://www.korgnorthwest.com/AX1500g.htm for several years now with my 335. I think it sounds pretty good using headphones. Playing through a amp, well lets just say you can do it but it sounds much better with the headphones. It's meant primarily for recording.

Korg made these some years ago. I actually remember seeing them sell as high as $500.00. Then they discontinued them and everyone was getting rid of them for $199.00.

I called Korg and asked them why they discontinued them and told them it was probably the best effects processer out there for $199.00. Within a year they started production again and everyone was selling them for $199.00. I don't see them listed anymore so maybe they have discontinued them again.

They make a newer model AX3000G http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=235 It's basically the same as the AX1500G only with a few more features. The up and down switches are nice for scrolling through the banks.

On the AX1500G you had to hold down two switches at once to get it into the scroll down mode and it is tricky sometimes. You could scroll up using just one switch.

I use high end recording monitor headphones. These units have a stereo out option so it works great with the headphones. Maybe that's one reason the processor doesn't sound as good playing through a single amp because it's in mono. Playing through two amps would sound much better, it would be true stereo.

Read up on the specs, they can imitate any type of amp, cabnet with different speaker configurations, every kind of effects you can imagine. You can custom make the effects by dialing in what you like and save them so you can always have them handy.

Personally I prefer to have individual effects for playing through an amp. But for practicing, recording, these work great.

If I was in the market for a new replacement I would give the Vox Tonelab some serious consideration. http://www.voxamps.com/pedals/tonelable/ It's similar to the the Korg which by the way owns Vox, but I like the way it's built. Better quality, switches, pedal, etc. I don't know if the Vox sounds good through an amp. It does use a real 12AX7 Vacumm tube to help get it's tones.

I use the processer with all my guitars not just the 335.

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,

RC

Hey rewilke:

Thought you passed away, seeing how you disappear after every question you ask. This is my last attempt to communicate to the dead. ](*,)

Archived