Gibson Brands Forums

Have there been any updates to the SG Standard in the last few years?

miurasv

Hi all. My first post in your great forum. I've been offered an unused 2004 SG Standard in Heritage Cherry and I wondered if this guitar has been updated at all in the last few years? If so have the updates been worthwhile and would I be better of getting a new one? Obviously this guitar is cheaper than a new by about £200. Actually how much do these go for new in UK? Thanks in advance.

The specs of the SG Standard have not changed much, if you compare our website to the specs from back in 1992, see attached:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard/Specs.aspx

Nowadays the guitar receives a Plek Treatment at the nut however, and some of the material used are different however I suppose, like switch, nut and tailpiece.

Difficult to tell nevertheless, as we did not register everything as well as nowadays !

post-15276-044731200 1293121063_thumb.jpg

Basically the same awesome guitar it has been for many years with the exception of recent "Exclusive Run" models for certain retailers that offer coil-splitting pickups.

And the pickups themselves being Burstbucker 1's & 3's on the coil-splitting models instead of the usual 490R & 498T.

Also, since 2004 there may have been additional exclusive models, but the "SG Standard" model has remained unchanged...

No reason to alter perfection.

The specs of the SG Standard have not changed much, if you compare our website to the specs from back in 1992, see attached:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard/Specs.aspx

Nowadays the guitar receives a Plek Treatment at the nut however, and some of the material used are different however I suppose, like switch, nut and tailpiece.

Difficult to tell nevertheless, as we did not register everything as well as nowadays !

Thanks very much for your reply, SijnV. The guitar I'm interested in buying looks the same. I'll have to look up what a Plek Treatment is.

Basically the same awesome guitar it has been for many years with the exception of recent "Exclusive Run" models for certain retailers that offer coil-splitting pickups.

And the pickups themselves being Burstbucker 1's & 3's on the coil-splitting models instead of the usual 490R & 498T.

Also, since 2004 there may have been additional exclusive models, but the "SG Standard" model has remained unchanged...

No reason to alter perfection.

Thanks very much indeed for your reply, GibSinCity.

Glad I can help.

Here's some info on the PLEK System.

"In short, the PLEK system, is a computer-controlled “robot” that reads a guitar’s frets with incredible accuracy, then automatically files and finishes them to produce the desired “action” as determined by a Gibson technician"

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Built%20by%20Humans,%20Perfected%20by/

Dude, I take it you are about to invest some hard earned money on a guitar and you want a Gibson... what styles do you like and how would you describe your playing? That would help everyone give you better input on what guitar to get than asking the changes they've suffered over the years. [thumbup] I would try as many as I can, put aside all details and just end up with the one that sounded and felt the best. At least that's what I do when I buy guitars. [thumbup]

Best of luck.

Archived