Gibson Brands Forums

in all honesty...what do you think of the finish on this guitar?

S t e v e

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually I like that Lemonburst finish especially when the top is stained black and sanded back to make the flames pop. Its a pretty decent finish, to be honest IMHO it would look a lot better with pickup covers and some different hardware. All that affects my opinion on the finish.

I like the colors on a burst to have more contrast--for instance, I think Heritage Cherry is perfect, and Vintage Sunburst and Desert Burst and Dark Burst. But Lemon and the other light finishes, where the burst is so subtle that the finish is nearly flat, just don't do it for me. I prefer a very pronounced "tear drop" in the middle which is very light in contrast to the dark border. Not a Clownburst exactly, because the transition between the colors still has to be a tasteful fade, but I just prefer a more pronounced difference between the two.

THAT IS MY GUITAR!!

Somebody stole it from me while playing a gig at the Borgota in Atlantic City. About a year ago I see that Steve has it and I PMed him to let him know that it's my stolen Les Paul. He replied stating that his wife purchased it from a local guitar shop and gave it to him as a Christmas gift. Although I believe him, some how my stolen Les Paul ended up in a small music shop in the UK. Steve will not return the guitar to me.

That ain't right.

[biggrin]

I kinda like it. I'm not into the super shiny look, but after a day or two in my hands that problem would be solved. I like the lemon/honey finish but this one could be a bit less bright yellow and more brown. I really dislike the look of most bursts that have red in them, so that limits my options quite a bit and makes this guitar look nice to me.

ok Steve,...either you are yanking my chain OR you are a genuine newbie after some solid advise, either way i don't think we can help you on here that much mate...if you ain't even got the ability to determine if you like your own guitar's finish yet then i think you need to research other sites that would point you in the right direction or maybe find a teacher or someone else to provide you with a sense of security that your guitar isn't ugly...good luck mate [thumbup]

ok Steve,...either you are yanking my chain OR you are a genuine newbie after some solid advise, either way i don't think we can help you on here that much mate...if you ain't even got the ability to determine if you like your own guitar's finish yet then i think you need to research other sites that would point you in the right direction or maybe find a teacher or someone else to provide you with a sense of security that your guitar isn't ugly...good luck mate [thumbup]

Ha! Ha! Ha!

lol

Archived