Gibson Brands Forums

in all honesty...what do you think of the finish on this guitar?

S t e v e

Is there a similar finish in a Standard, Trad, or Historic? You don't see many that lemony

which is a shame I think. The Warren Haynes was pretty lemony as I recall.

iv'e never seen a finish like this on any other LP, i think this is a one off gary moore colour

read this, from the guitarist mag team...

Of course the finish is nitro-cellulose, as on most Gibbos, but the colour is unusual and interesting. Based on Gary's old Greeny Les Paul, which has faded to the point where it's become, in vintage dealers' parlance, 'unburst', the GM Signature is finished in what Gibson term Lemon Burst. It's literally the yellow base stain with the tiniest hint of watered-down cherry tinting the perimeter. It certainly gets the thumbs-up from the guitarist taste team.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the colors on a burst to have more contrast--for instance, I think Heritage Cherry is perfect, and Vintage Sunburst and Desert Burst and Dark Burst. But Lemon and the other light finishes, where the burst is so subtle that the finish is nearly flat, just don't do it for me. I prefer a very pronounced "tear drop" in the middle which is very light in contrast to the dark border. Not a Clownburst exactly, because the transition between the colors still has to be a tasteful fade, but I just prefer a more pronounced difference between the two.

the colour is unusual and interesting. Based on Gary's old Greeny Les Paul, which has faded to the point where it's become, in vintage dealers' parlance, 'unburst', the GM Signature is finished in what Gibson term Lemon Burst. It's literally the yellow base stain with the tiniest hint of watered-down cherry tinting the perimeter. It certainly gets the thumbs-up from the guitarist taste team.

Archived