Gibson Brands Forums

New EJ200

epitex

Hey guys, new to the forum here and have a quick question for you experts. I understand the EJ200 has always had a laminate top but the official website now says it has a solid spruce top. Am I reading this correctly or do I not understand what I am reading. I really want this guitar but I am hesitant about the laminate top. I learned to play on a jumbo Taylor that I loved but sold a few years back and I really want another jumbo (preferably a Gibson but oh well) and think this guitar would work perfectly for me. Thanks for any input.

Sorry but everything I see on the net says that its a select spruce top which means that its a laminate top.Ship

not that theres anything wrong with laminate the sound you have now will be the same sound you'll have 20 years down the raod which can be a good thing in some ways.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Super-Jumbo/Epiphone/EJ-200.aspx

And hey welcome

Thanks for the reply Ship. I've seen lots of sites that state its a laminate (select) top but the only one I see that says its a solid top was the "official" Epiphone site (I guess its the official site, epiphone.com), thats what made me wonder about it. I'm very interested in this guitar either way and I understand I just need to play a bunch of them to make sure I get one of the "good" ones, but what in particular should I look for in one of these or would I be better off getting a solid top masterbuilt or the like. My dream guitar has always been a Gibson J200 (but thats probably not going to happen for a while) so I was pumped to learn of the EJ200 for about 1/8 of the cost, but now I'm worried about the sound I'll be getting with the laminate top.

I don't know how to attach the link but if you go to: epiphone.com/acoustic/EJ200 you'll see what I'm saying. I know the Gibson site says "select" as do the Guitar Center and Musicians Friend sites, but thought maybe something changed.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Ship. I've seen lots of sites that state its a laminate (select) top but the only one I see that says its a solid top was the "official" Epiphone site (I guess its the official site, epiphone.com), thats what made me wonder about it. I'm very interested in this guitar either way and I understand I just need to play a bunch of them to make sure I get one of the "good" ones, but what in particular should I look for in one of these or would I be better off getting a solid top masterbuilt or the like. My dream guitar has always been a Gibson J200 (but thats probably not going to happen for a while) so I was pumped to learn of the EJ200 for about 1/8 of the cost, but now I'm worried about the sound I'll be getting with the laminate top.

I don't know how to attach the link but if you go to: epiphone.com/acoustic/EJ200 you'll see what I'm saying. I know the Gibson site says "select" as do the Guitar Center and Musicians Friend sites, but thought maybe something changed.

Thanks again.

If you go to the Epiphone site it does say solid top.

I just saw solid too: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=77&CollectionID=9

Who knows any more how their guitars are made. I'm trying to figure out if the

Sheraton II necks are still 3 pieces as described in their web-site. Or if they

are regular scarf joints. I'm corresponding with a customer service rep who

replied they are 5 piece. I know that's not right.

When I bought my ej200, it was described as "select", so I'm fine with however

it's made. But, they better get their descriptions right, because this is how

we make our decisions.

they are all laminate tops except the ej-300 but thats not in production anymore. if the new ones are gonna be solid that will be awesome. and as for the sheraton neck i think it is a 5 piece neck. 3 pieces being maple and 2 pieces being the rosewood or darker wood stripes, but i think thats only in the natural finish.

So, say the description on the Epiphone page is incorrect and it does turn out the 2011 EJ 200 has the laminate top, what kind of difference in tone, volume, etc. should I expect if I do decide on this guitar. I have played for a while (strictly at a novice level) but I am really thinking about getting serious now and want the most bang for my buck. Also, thanks for all the insight so far. This site as been very beneficial and I am glad I stumble across it. Thank you.

I just sanded a small spot on the edge ofsound hole under the fret board on my 2010 ej. It was mostly unfinished there anyway.

It was more just cleaning it up a bit. The grain runs all the way through from top to bottom.

It now looks like the 2010 ej200's are solid tops. I'm going to need a humidifier now.

I'd be curious about earlier ej 200's, i.e., 2009 and before.

Archived