Gibson Brands Forums

Shopping in America (gibson)

Enmitygauged

I am touring the US and I am going to to take the time to visit some of your lovely stores. I thought I would Google a few Stores in the towns i am visiting. I am doing Vegas and thought I would see what was about. When I cam across a real shall I say Wanker IMO. I dont like people people like this and wont be visiting him and he will be missing out on the 10 grand I am shopping with.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/gibson/resale.htm

What do you know... another guy who thinks Ed Roman's a wanker LOL [biggrin] I think lots of people feel the same but there are lots of people who trust him and think he's great. Maybe you should give the guy a chance, who knows, maybe you end up being friends with him.

BTW I don't know him, have read a lot of his reviews (more like rants [laugh] ) about gear, especially about gibson, and don't think I'll ever meet him in real life... but, my local luthier who happens to be a really good friend is considered an a-hole by many local musicians and he's just a great guy who speaks his mind and doesn't take sh-t from anyone, that drives most people away, but those of us who chose to stay and become friends of him have gained a lot by doing so: a great friend, an exceptional luthier and tech, one of the best local players as guitar playin' partner and also a guy who will sell only quality stuff at good prices and tell you up front when you are about to waste money on stuff that isn't worth it.

Thanks I have LA Vegas and Houston to temp me. God I wish I had Nashville.

Sorry man... I got nothing for those towns :(

There is a guy on this board though who would tell you to avoid Guitar Center in Vegas and Houston, I believe.

Maybe Ed's right and everyone else is part of a conspiracy :rolleyes:

I'm with you Thunder....because he speaks out against something you like, he's a fruit loop and totally insane? Nope, he has his opinions like anyone and clearly he is not afraid to speak em....seems he's doing ok for himself without Gibson...

His site is fugly though!

I got an Idea, why don't you post a link to his site, then start a big conversation about him. That will get a lot of curious guitarists who've never heard of him (or don't care to have an opinion about him) to check out his site, and maybe even land him a sale or two. :rolleyes:

But anyway, if you're still in Vegas check out Midnight Music if it's still there. Nice little place.

I got an Idea, why don't you post a link to his site, then start a big conversation about him. That will get a lot of curious guitarists who've never heard of him (or don't care to have an opinion about him) to check out his site, and maybe even land him a sale or two. :rolleyes:

But anyway, if you're still in Vegas check out Midnight Music if it's still there. Nice little place.

Done...And DONE. Anything else?

I am touring the US and I am going to to take the time to visit some of your lovely stores. I thought I would Google a few Stores in the towns i am visiting. I am doing Vegas and thought I would see what was about. When I cam across a real shall I say Wanker IMO. I dont like people people like this and wont be visiting him and he will be missing out on the 10 grand I am shopping with.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/gibson/resale.htm

I'm sure you'll find a good place to drop 10,000.

Nice to see I'm not alone in naming my guitars.

Good luck on the tour.

Dave

Sorry man... I got nothing for those towns :(

There is a guy on this board though who would tell you to avoid Guitar Center in Vegas and Houston, I believe.

There is also a guy on here, and a very well respected member he is too, that works for GC in Vegas.

I tend to agree with the group that think he's tinfoil hat wearer. It's not just Gibson, he slams ALL brands of guitars that he doesn't happen to sell, and even some he does :rolleyes: Then he says don't buy Japanese or Chinese, then he slams all the American brands. No, I've never met the guy, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

I agree on the pricing thing. The 'beano' is 14k more just for the signature. It's getting ridiculous. I've never seen Clapton use a Les Paul. Just because he used it on an album doesn't make it special. He's known for Fender Strats. I agree on the point that other guitars could be better quality for the money. But that's just personal choice.

I can honestly say I've seen better finishes on some guitars for a quarter of the price of Gibson. But you're buying the name. I think the quality should go up and 'silly' models come down.

Lash...

I think they'll stop selling silly guitars - Gibson certainly ain't the only company doing this - and pre-bashed-up guitars when people stop buying them.

Most of the time I personally think a lotta that's more than a bit silly.

Why buy a guitar with a famous picker's name on it when one without is a lot less cash and plays as well? I dunno. My guitar styles were played by a lotta folks with a lotta different techniques. I do think it's different to say, for example, that Herb Ellis and Joe Pass both played the 175 and that half the "names" in rock and blues played a 135 at one time or another, and having a "Big Name" version of it like on a Hannah Montana guitar.

grump. <grin> And I'll wear out my own guitars, thank you, rather than buying a new one that tries to make it look like I've been playing it 30 years. The ones I've played for 30 years look a lot better.

m

Ed is Ed ... and that's all he'll ever be ...

On topic, I work for Guitar Center here in Vegas, as my buddy Ratus mentioned. If you get out to the West side of town, give me a call ... always happy to meet a fellow forumite ... and an Aussie to boot!

Jim

Archived