Gibson Brands Forums

Shopping in America (gibson)

Enmitygauged

• 2 weeks later...

Ed is Ed ... and that's all he'll ever be ...

On topic, I work for Guitar Center here in Vegas, as my buddy Ratus mentioned. If you get out to the West side of town, give me a call ... always happy to meet a fellow forumite ... and an Aussie to boot!

Jim

Cheers I will stop buy, Im there on the 21st of Jan. Hopefully I can check out the best Vegas has to offer. I swear I wish guitars were as cheap as they are there here. if that makes sense. lol

I tend to agree with the group that think he's tinfoil hat wearer. It's not just Gibson, he slams ALL brands of guitars that he doesn't happen to sell, and even some he does :rolleyes: Then he says don't buy Japanese or Chinese, then he slams all the American brands. No, I've never met the guy, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

The part that irritated me was his nonsense about Gibson and fender should only be able to patent the head stock but not the body design and that Gibson are corporate bullies for protecting their designs. I'm sorry I am pretty sure no business invests millions in design and innovation just to have the competitor copy it. I have personally owned about 75 guitars in my life and am at a music store at least once a week trying all sorts of brands and styles. I have gone from shite to decent guitars to expensive crap guitars. I can only say that I own Three Gibsons for a reason I had my choice of other brands I had my choice of gimmicks, when it comes down to it the Gibson sound is what I wanted. I was happy with the 335 but when I heard that Standard LP I ordered in the colour I wanted and waited like it was a Red Rider B.B Gun. My issue is learn to sell your product without bagging the competitors that's what this "wanker" seems to have missed. If your product is that good that awesome then the Brand your competing against wont stand a chance. Like the Aussie Icon **** Smith said " if I see someone with bad customer service and a bad product I'll buy the store next to em and start selling against em" I bought the Songwriter not knowing and independent body had voted it the best American made Acoustic guitar in 2008 for price and quality. To me it was the perfect sound so my Martin d 28 and my Taylor T5 went and in with the new.

Thank you Gibson for a beautiful product a supreme product and all round kick *** product.

Ok off the soap box now

Hmm, Two pages about a Guitar Shop no one really cares for......No pages about a guitar shop that's worth visiting.....Perhaps he's an Advertising Genius, or he's just a lucky nut with a closet full of tin Foil Clothing.

But what this really brings up is this tendency we have to complain about what or who we don't like, but after we have a good experience or find a "Great Place with Friendly Helpful Staff" it's out of sight out of mind.

So, did you find a place worth spending your money at? If so, was this place cool enough to mention? If not, you've just given "Ed" two pages of name recognition and location specific information. That's much better than the "No Mention" of the decent places you encountered in your travels abroad. Now we have "No Idea" where we might find a good deal and friendly service.

So, is "Ed" really wearing a tin foil hat, or is he rolling in the green because he understands that even Bad Press is Good Press?

Hmm, Two pages about a Guitar Shop no one really cares for......No pages about a guitar shop that's worth visiting.....Perhaps he's an Advertising Genius, or he's just a lucky nut with a closet full of tin Foil Clothing.

But what this really brings up is this tendency we have to complain about what or who we don't like, but after we have a good experience or find a "Great Place with Friendly Helpful Staff" it's out of sight out of mind.

So, did you find a place worth spending your money at? If so, was this place cool enough to mention? If not, you've just given "Ed" two pages of name recognition and location specific information. That's much better than the "No Mention" of the decent places you encountered in your travels abroad. Now we have "No Idea" where we might find a good deal and friendly service.

So, is "Ed" really wearing a tin foil hat, or is he rolling in the green because he understands that even Bad Press is Good Press?

Nope cos I havent gone yet. 9 days left and yes I am in sales and the analogy works for customer service all the time. But trust me if I find a place thats worth while you guys will be the first to hear of it. For example in Australia the best guitar store by far is Derringers Music ( and happens to be in my home town ) You know its good when the biggest guitarists in the world shop there or just drop in to say hi.

So yeah if youre in Australia and want to buy a $100 cort or a 58 or 59 or a SRV number 1 then go see them.

Yeah, I've got to admit that I respect his hustle. He has some seriously valid points that I can agree with and some other ideas that just don't really gel with my understanding of reality. He has an opinion and a strong (written) voice, and a pretty good way of articulating himself. And all he's doing is promoting his worldview and pushing his product. Same thing we all do- just on the other side of the fence. Seems like he's pretty good at it too, considering what guy up top wrote /\ that we've devoted two pages on a forum talking about him, making it easier to pull up his name on a search engine (I'm sure Gibson.com gets some serious consideration from search engines.)

He's probably got some cool guitars in his shop, too.

He's f#ckin nuts tho if he thinks somebody like me would pick an Agile LP copy over the cheapest, most faded Gibson Studio.

Maybe I'll get an Agile and trade with him? LOL

What the hell, I'll say it again: I like Ed Roman. I suspect he was having fun with the Agile talk. (Doubt most people would choose it over a LP Studio, but I absolutely agree with Roman you get more bang for your buck with an Agile.) For the most part, he calls a spade a spade...

i agree with everyone who says Ed is a wanker, fruit loop, tin-foil hat wearer, etc... i have (partially) read some of his rants and i can never get through more than half of them because i just cant take the guy seriously!! i read his stuff when i need a good laugh or two... [lol]

if you're gonna be in Chicago, check out Make'n Music... its got a great selection of both guitars and amps [thumbup]

also, i realize that this shop isnt in chicago (it's in highland park - a suburb) but The Music Gallery has a great selection of both Gibsons and Fender custom shops... i've been in there a couple times and played some of the guitars, and I love every guitar i've ever played there. I just wish i had $$ because all of their guitars are the high-end models. but they take really good care of all of them; they tune and clean/dust all of them every day, and the owner gives each of them a pro set-up before they're put on the floor [biggrin]

I am touring the US and I am going to to take the time to visit some of your lovely stores. I thought I would Google a few Stores in the towns i am visiting. I am doing Vegas and thought I would see what was about. When I cam across a real shall I say Wanker IMO. I dont like people people like this and wont be visiting him and he will be missing out on the 10 grand I am shopping with.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/gibson/resale.htm

Good luck on your shopping, don't spend it all in one place, lol. I wish that were my GAS funds to play with! Hopefully your spree here in the States will more than make up for overpaying for your gear in Oz. [flapper]

Good luck on your shopping, don't spend it all in one place, lol. I wish that were my GAS funds to play with! Hopefully your spree here in the States will more than make up for overpaying for your gear in Oz. [flapper]

Yeah I am lucky on most of my gear I get it at a really good price but still not at the same level you guys get. I mean my martin was 1800 here but I had it bought and sent from Boston for 650. the mark up is huge and they get away with it by saying the warranty isnt covered in Australia if you buy it overseas. I still dont know about that I wonder if someone on here could clarify.

Archived