Gibson Brands Forums

1990 Hummingbird - $1, 900

Shimokitazawa

Hello,

I recently bought a 1990 Hummingbird Gibson acoustic guitar. The price was $1, 900 and included the original case, new strings, and a new strap. The guitar is in good condition but the neck is slightly (very slightly)curved. I was told that it was priced down because of this. It sounds great but I have no reference for price other than that there were other Hummingbirds in the shop priced around $3, 500 - $4, 000.

Can any of the experts here chime in and offer some pointers for me or advice on what the price should have been (or if if was going rate for such a mnodel / year / condition)?

Thank you.

post-27177-010803500 1293110487_thumb.jpg

Nice looking Hummingbird and welcome to forum! Hard to say what is causing the "slight bend' from the picture. It could be too much relief on neck (loose truss rod) or something more sinister (read expensive)such as needing a neck reset, twisted neck or other. I would ask them to elaborate more on the problem or take it to a trusted luthier. Having the neck correct and setup to your style is the first step to getting the Bird to sing.

Nice finish as I see it - sweet caramel. Some weeks ago someone told me that Hummingbirds from the later half of the 80'ties/first 90'ties should be something special due to the then recent new direction of the Gibson ship (they seem to be rare). First they concentrated on the Les Paul, maybe the next major icon polished up was the H-bird. Can you confirm this - do you hear anything extraordinary - are you in a position to compare ? ? ?

Welcome aboard -

@e-minor7: ren ferguson says that from 89 when the bozeman plant opened they had to learn how the guitars were made back in the days, based on among other things sent in vintage guitars. So I would think they were still in a learning process, which would reflect in the quality of the product?

Although that 1990 baby sure looks fine!

Can any of the experts here chime in and offer some pointers for me or advice on what the price should have been (or if if was going rate for such a mnodel / year / condition)?

Most Gibson Hummingbirds on eBay (without neck problems) go for $1700. to $2000. depending

on year and condition. I really hope your guitar can be adjusted with the truss rod.

@e-minor7: ren ferguson says that from 89 when the bozeman plant opened they had to learn how the guitars were made back in the days, based on among other things sent in vintage guitars. So I would think they were still in a learning process, which would reflect in the quality of the product?

Although that 1990 baby sure looks fine!

Ren knew how to build great guitars, he just didn't know how to build Gibsons. The very early hand-built Bozeman Gibsons are very high-quality instruments, as are the later John Walker-era Custom Shop guitars. But Bozeman-built Gibsons' tone has become much more Gibson-y over the years: that's been Ren's consistent objective.

For me, it was the Legend series that really pushed things over the top. My J-45 Legend sounds astonishingly like a younger version of my '42/43 J-45. (To me and some other people who have heard them A/B'd. YMMV!) And the TV series seems to be based on some of the lessons learned from the Legend experience.

Anyway, some people prefer the older ones to the newer ones, and some the newer ones to the older ones. Some people think none of them sound anything like vintage Gibsons, and some think the newer ones are getting there. I don't know anyone who thinks the old ones sound more like vintage ones than the new ones, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone pops up here and claims that.

Sorry for wandering off-topic!

-- Bob R

ren ferguson says that from 89 when the bozeman plant opened they had to learn how the guitars were made back in the days, based on among other things sent in vintage guitars. So I would think they were still in a learning process, which would reflect in the quality of the product?

It says everything about how far out the company had come. Didn't even have drawings/blueprints of their own masterpieces !?! It's more than irresponsible - it's madness.

When I tell friends - musicians as common guitar likers - about what I learn on this trip into the world of Gibson, they drop jaws, lean back and ask for cold water.

Apart from that some pattern is glimpsed. After all they were not bakers and librarians, but carpenters, luthiers, craftsmen, and to get fairly decent guitars up and goin' after opening sent in vintage models and generally kicking their own asses, wouldn't take light-years.

As mentioned a few times before : We need crown-witnesses - people who were actually there.

Now this is becoming a very interesting thread for me, although we were supposed to be talking about the price for a 90s bird (ok that sounds a bit odd when I write it like that:-)). Over here in the netherlands, the price for bozeman hummingbirds seems to be consistent over years of birth of the guitar. Whether it is a new or 90s one, they all go for 2000-2400 euros.

Rar, I don't suppose you want to sell your 43 J-45????

Ren knew how to build great guitars, he just didn't know how to build Gibsons. The very early hand-built Bozeman Gibsons are very high-quality instruments, as are the later John Walker-era Custom Shop guitars. But Bozeman-built Gibsons' tone has become much more Gibson-y over the years: that's been Ren's consistent objective.

For me, it was the Legend series that really pushed things over the top. My J-45 Legend sounds astonishingly like a younger version of my '42/43 J-45. (To me and some other people who have heard them A/B'd. YMMV!) And the TV series seems to be based on some of the lessons learned from the Legend experience.

Anyway, some people prefer the older ones to the newer ones, and some the newer ones to the older ones. Some people think none of them sound anything like vintage Gibsons, and some think the newer ones are getting there. I don't know anyone who thinks the old ones sound more like vintage ones than the new ones, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone pops up here and claims that.

Sorry for wandering off-topic!

-- Bob R

• 3 weeks later...

Rar, I don't suppose you want to sell your 43 J-45????

Thank you for the information. My guitar is apparently a 1990 Hummingbird, although I do not know the specific model of 'bird that it is.

Is it possible that it could be just a plain jane Hummingbird and not any particular / specific model of Hummingbird?

Thanks again for all of the replies.

Archived