Gibson Brands Forums

Boss pedals

Silenced Fred

I used to think they were good, but over the past few years I have become not much of a fan. I think the sounds out of them are generic. People talk a lot about their sun-rising-in-the-East like reliability, but both my DD3 and TU2 have crapped out after less than a decade. Try getting someone to fix these. No pedal tech will touch them. While my TU2 did give me years of good service, I have moved on to better things and Boss has not. The TU3 cannot hold a candle to the Polytune.

The one good thing I can say about them is that they make great buffer pedals if you need one in your chain after the dirt boxes.

I've used all kinds of stomp effects and switched to Boss for the majority of my stomps.

I also liked and used their ME-5 (first Boss multifx unit), giged with it for years.

The GT series was an improvement on the ME as it was overbuilt tank tuff like their stompboxes.

Boss pedals are an industry standard for a reason.

I like MXR too, and DOD, Digitech used to suck but their new Hardwire series are nice.

Electro-Harmonix, great stuff same with Ibanez (Maxon) & TC Electronics, I like and use them too.

It all depends on the effect, as to which I choose now. Quality is there across the board.

For most things, Boss sounds great and handles the job fine. Boss' Chorus was unbeatable for the longest time.

It took custom builders to finally overshine it.

Boss is still my benchmark for FX. It needs to sound at least as good Boss or better.

Boss is still my benchmark for FX. It needs to sound at least as good Boss or better.

Same here, man. I used to have a DOD and a Digitech in the bunch. Didn't like em that much. Tried those Ibanez Tanks or whatever they are called (roundish black ones). Didn't like em at all. I have had certain Boss pedals for 15 years and never had a problem with them. It's why I only buy Boss pedals. (With the exception of EB Volume and Dunlop Crybaby)

I have a bunch of Boss pedals. I have some boutique pedals, too.

The boutique pedals don't do anything more, than the Boss pedals,

but, they did cost 2-4 times the price. I'm not all that "brand loyal,"

on purpose, it just seems to work out, that way...more often, than

not. As to their "generic" tone...what does that even mean? Unless

I want a "coloration" specifically, I want "generic" uncolored tone,

from my pedals. I have a Line-6 rotary pedal, that really colors the

tone, and so I replaced it with the Boss Rotary (dual) pedal, and it's

much better. Neither, are a Leslie...but the Boss is great, and it

doesn't break your back, moving it around. I do still use the Line-6

version, for a vocal ("Tomorrow Never Knows") special effect. (Smile)

CB

The boutique pedals don't do anything more, than the Boss pedals,

but, they did cost 2-4 times the price.

CB

So by your logic

Big Mac = Hand chopped, grass fed beef burger

Pinto = Acura

Genius speakers = Epos speakers

$5 dress shirt from Walmart = Custom tailored, organic cotton dress shirt

I'm not trying to be a malaka. That statement just struck me as wrong and I had to say something.

I'd agree with you. Different makers use different materials that cause clipping and overdrive and that's what makes them different. Some use higher quality meat... errrrr parts.

I'm not trying to be a malaka. That statement just struck me as wrong and I had to say something.

Oh, I know. It's a sensitive subject with people. I like this, and if you don't, you're wrong. I didn't want to pick sides on anything, because people are gonna flame me for "stirring **** up" but I fully agree. I like MXR stuff, the polytune seems awesome, but for me, I think its all gonna be boutique stuff when I can afford it. The quality is better.

If Boss pedals do it for you, great! More boutique weird stuff for me [thumbup]

It's weird, but I've always used Boss stompers at least for gigging. I know they're not the best, but they're so abundant around here

and easy to find one cheap I tend to hang onto them.

Like some guys said, it really depends on the effect. The chorus and delay pedals are top notch.

two thirds of my pedals are boss.

I have tried few others in the same price range that, IMHO can stand up to the beating.

They are few and far between.

BOSS has been around and successful for as long as they have, because they make a solid, reasonably priced product.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great company's out there

that make great stuff.

Boss is my go to for basics. EQ, Reverb, Noise suppression, tuners.

but for Analog delay, I got my Mod Tone.

And I can't live without my Rat.

I don't use them on my pedal board, but they are what is built into my Boss BR1600 recorder and they sound pretty good.

I think I'm too much of a tone/sound snob... I guess.

Thats usually a bad thing for your wallet.........

I like some Boss pedals. I like their DD3 but the Distortion pedal gives me bad vibes so I wouldn't touch it.

It's weird, but I've always used Boss stompers at least for gigging. I know they're not the best, but they're so abundant around here

and easy to find one cheap I tend to hang onto them.

Like some guys said, it really depends on the effect. The chorus and delay pedals are top notch.

I'm loving my recently purchased CE-20

I've always considered them the "average" pedal's...I guess is the best way I can describe em...I've had a Modded DS-1, Blues Driver, and a DD-3, and they just didnt do it for me...and I always noticed some loss of highend or some amps would not like them at all...Maybe I'm a fool to fall into all this true-bypass hype but I seriously think there is a difference IMO when the pedals are bypassed. On my Blues Driver the switch got all funky on me as well and was real ***** to get half-way fixed.

Hey, if one love's boutique pedals, great! It's your money,

and if they do the "tone thing" you want...Super! I've

always tried to get "my" tone, with just the guitar and

amp...use the pedals sparingly, for a specific effect, and

NOT for "my tone!" My Boss pedals, fit that bill, nicely.

I didn't say, I didn't like Boutique pedals. But, for what

I do, they tend to be an un-needed expense. If I found one

that I absolutely loved, and "had to have," I'd buy it!!

That just hasn't happened, yet...beyond the one's I have,

already.

CB

Thats usually a bad thing for your wallet.........

I tend to not use a lot of pedals so my wallet is ok. In fact, I'm only splurging on one boutique pedal - a Tim which is due around Feb.

I mean, with a Dumble style amp who needs a lot of extra pedals? I have a Marshall Guv'nor and it sounds great but I only use it on one song with that amp. I'm getting a Tim for when I'm not using the dumble style amp.

So by your logic

Big Mac = Hand chopped, grass fed beef burger

Pinto = Acura

Genius speakers = Epos speakers

$5 dress shirt from Walmart = Custom tailored, organic cotton dress shirt

Hmmm not necessarily. Boutique doesn't automatically mean better or what I need to hear. Especially since over the last few years Boutique has become a business.

Big Mac = Hand chopped, grass fed beef burger - hmmmm Well if I have the taste for a Big Mac then the Hand Chopped, Grass fed beef burger isn't going to cut it.

Pinto = Acura Well no but If I need more trunk space than what the Acura provides then the Pinto might be "Better"

$5 dress shirt from Walmart = Custom tailored, organic cotton dress shirt I have had some expensive tailored shirts that were nice but didn't hold up as well as my wal-mart dress shirt.

Again, this is a opinion question. If you like the way the boss sounds, feels, quality , price point etc.... Then they are every bit as good as the boutique pedals. I have had a little of both and find that each "Is what it is" for what it is.... It also seems that a lot of the Boutique stuff is either about tweaking something that already exists or imitating something that already existed. In the end they are all out to make Money.

Andy

Archived