Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson CL Special

Acustiman

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a Gibson CL Special acoustic in excellent shape and I'm having a time getting info on it, It's a 02 to be exact...any idea of value and possible reviews would be great.

Thanks much!

The CL, or Custom Line, acoustic is the guitar that "morphed" into the SongBird and later into what is now the SongWriter. A lot of the same visual appointments, such as abalone rosette and the custom pickguard. Visual changes were the MOP dots on the fretboard to MOP florets and now to split parallelograms. The bridge changed from the standard block belly-up to the present bridge. The models come in Standard, Deluxe, and Custom. Rosewood back and sides with Sitka spruce top. A lot of volume from a small-bodied square shouldered guitar! Most CL guitars, in excellent condition, are going around $800-$1200.

I've recently become enamored with the CL series. I think they are great guitars and it's a shame they didn't last any longer than they did. Finding info on this series is like pulling teeth, but I'll share what I know. They were only made in 97 and 98. There was a CL-10, CL-20, CL-30 and a cutaway version CL-35, CL-40/45, and CL-50. All had the batwing pickguard and rosewood moustache-style bridge and most had factory installed transducers.

The CL-10 Standard and CL-20 Standard Plus both had Sitka spruce tops and mahogany backs/sides with black binding and different appointments, nickel tuners and dot inlays for the 10, gold tuners and snowflake inlays for the 20. Some of the early models had laminated sides/backs.

The CL-30/35 Deluxe had Sitka spruce tops and had solid African bubinga backs/sides, rosewood fretboard, pearl headstock logo and abalone floret inlay, an abalone rosette and abalone floret fretboard inlays, white bridgepins, with multiple-ply binding and gold tuners.

The CL-40/45 Artist had Sitka spruce top and had solid Rosewood backs/sides with an ebony fretboard, pearl headstock logo/angel wing inlay, an abalone rosette and abalone angel wing fretboard inlays, abalone dot bridgepins, with multiple-ply binding and gold tuners.

The CL-50 Supreme had Sitka spruce top and had solid Rosewood backs/sides with an ebony fretboard, bound headstock with pearl logo and abalone autumn leaf inlay, an abalone rosette and abalone autumn leaf fretboard inlay, abalone dot bridgepins, with abalone binding and gold tuners.

I'm not sure about the "Special" designation. I've seen it on different models and have yet to figure out what differentiates "specials" from the others. There also seems to be some variance in the construction of the various models. I've seen people talk about black finishes and maple necks. I think these are fairly accurate descriptions, but feel free to correct me. If anyone knows of a resource where I can find more info about this line I'd appreciate a heads up. I'd like to write a blog about them someday.

Harmony Central has some good reviews of the various models. For what its worth, I have a CL-10 and a CL-35 and they are both fine guitars. I'm particularly fond of my CL-35. The Bubinga is beautiful wood and it has a wonderfully balanced ringing tone, great sustain and the playability is excellent.

• 10 months later...

Also.. If Im not mistakin... This Shape of Guitar was From Rens Personnal Designs as well..

Ive had a few of these CL30s.40s and 50s. Not a Bad Guitar... If memory serves me right.. The CL30 I had was Bubinga back and sides.. I liked it.. Sound and Playability Wize... a Nice Guitar..

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Good morning all,

I recently ran across this really nice 1998 CL-20. I picked it up as a gift to my daughter for a birth year guitar since she was born in '98. Even though it hangs in my daughters bedroom with her other guitars, I find myself playing it pretty often as it's such a nice guitar.

I am about to update it a bit with a bond saddle and pins and a new pickup system. If I ran across another deal like this one I would pick it up in a snap.

photo3_zps367cb93d.jpg

I have been trying a variety of strings to try and squeeze a bit more bass out of this guitar. It's mostly a very loud midrange instrument.

What strings are you folks using these days? I am always open to trying something new.

Curt Magnan 12/56...........

I have a 97 CL-20 Standard plus that I picked up a couple of years ago and it has the laminate mahogany back and sides, the back is also the preformed arched back. Have tried a few different strings in the light to medium gauge and find that elixir mediums to be the best for tone and playability for my style of play. My guitar also came to me with nickle Grovers and I found them to be quite tarnished and even scuffed the rest of the guitar was very good condition so I believe this to be an issue with the nickle tuners so I changed them out for the quick change chrome Grovers but other than that it is basically as it came to me, it's a different sound than my J-45 but is is a nice little piece and I've put a lot of time on it. If someone where to steal it or something else ever happen to it I'd go a long way out of my way to try and replace it.

I have a '97 CL-30 Deluxe that I bought in late '97. I love that guitar! I checked with Gibson a few months ago and they said it's laminated Bubinga on the back and sides, but there's no arched back and it has back binding. I had 2 different Luthiers tell me they think it's solid back and sides...both because they thought it sounded so good and one of them matched the grain on the inside to the grain on the outside. Solid or laminate, either way it's sounds great! It's been completely stock up until last month...I put in a compensated bone saddle and bone bridge pins from Bob Colosi and had the bridge slotted and reamed so the pins seat correctly. I've stuck with 80/20's...using Martin Lifespan Mediums right now. Have I said how great it sounds?!?

I got these in an email from Gibson a few months ago...

E4F8D3CB-8E6D-4EC8-9D00-4ECA40FD6A61.jpg

9939481C-711F-43CC-8E7D-24B5CA75C59D.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just got the '98 CL-20 back from the shop. I had a Colosi custom made bone bridge and bone pins installed along with a K&K Pure Mini with Pre-Phase (pre-amp). I also had the neck set up and a few other tweaks. I went with the Elixir Polyweb 80/20 light-mediums. Overall I am very pleased. The tone has way more dimension and a lot more depth. It sounds more like a vintage Gibson than a sound cannon.

My daughter is going to used it at an open mic on Monday to see how well it sounds plugged in a nice PA system. I am looking forward to hearing it live.

Darn nice these CL guitars are. I wont pass one up next time I run accross one.

Archived