Gibson Brands Forums

How do I mount a Standby switch

DanielF

Whats up guys I'm new to the forum here I,ve only posted 1 other topic, so here's another 1 for you. I've just done some light modding to my V.3 VJ combo and I'm pleased with the results, but I loath the fact that this amp has no standby switch. The info that I need to know is were on circuit do I need to add said switch of doom!! I'm fairly savvy with amp electronics but just never installed a SB switch before, and to be quite honest with you I'm to lazy to rip the chassis out of my XXX to to trace said wires back to the source!! Thanks Men in advance Daniel

I would try a few different places and see what you think. Try to get a 250 Volt, 10 Amp switch.I would try it on one leg of the PT secondary, between the PT and the Bridge. You may want to parallel the switch with a 2 watt 50k resistor. You could also try it on the other side of the Bridge, between the rectifier and that first filter cap. You have DC there, so it is probably going to pop. I think what guys do on that side is to put a diode (1N4007) in series with the switch. Anyway, try those two spots and see what you think. You can rig it up with jumper cables to start with. After you see what works best, hard wire it together and solder away.

Why do you want an SB Switch though? The amp does not need one, and it may be more trouble than it is worth. But no harm done. That is one of the nice things about these cheap amps. You can do what ever you want. The link below has a schematic.

Good Luck

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/electar/modnotes/Epiphone_Valve_Junior_Euthemia_mods.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best advice is don't.

It does not need a standby switch. The standby switch is a fashion accessory.

Prolonged use of standby can harm your amp.

Turn the volume down or pull the jack half out.

• 1 month later...

either of the red wires coming from the back of the amp to the board..

run it to the appropriate switch and from there back to the board.

I've put a lot of standbys in .. almost everyone wants them...

I have serious doubts about the claim of amp injury, since my amps have them and they have been fine for years.

There is technical argument about anything.. but an awful lot of standbys in an awful lot of amps.

Archived