Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Kit Build - It's...It's...ALIVE!!!!!!

Andy R

It looks like I will have something fun to do during my Christmas vacation as my new Metropolous JTM 45 Kit was delivered today. I realize this is a "Guitar" Forum but I know some of the other members wanted me to chronicle my build on here so If you're interested follow along.

So Here are some pics starting from the beginning and I will add pics as I progress hopefully ending up with some nice sound clips or possibly a flaming amp video for youtube depending on how it goes.msp_blink.gif

1. A box out of a box

21b3b2a7.jpg

2. Back of the box from the box

b8836b8b.jpg

3. Stuff inside the box from the Box

b2916d10.jpg

4. Stuff inside the chassis that came from the box in the box

f2cfde3c.jpg

5. Output and Power Transformer! Never had a Laydown transformer amp before!

6e3d6490.jpg

6. Front and Back Plates

825a150a.jpg

7. The Big Bottles! Can't wait to see these things glowing!

22392d27.jpg

I can't wait to get started but will Obviously have to! But I have all next week and I have built an amp in 2 days before so Shouldn't take long before this is up and rocking. Can't wait to get that tube Rectifier working!!!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sozo's are great but they take forever to break in.

Yeah I have them in some other stuff I modded. But I got the NOS phillips mustards that will be making themselves at home in the new build.msp_thumbup.gif

OK So I got a late start but here is build day 1 Photos:

Step 1: Sort all the parts and put them in labeled Bins - This saves a bunch of time especially with resistors!

8b11ff1a.jpg

Step 2: Ignore the directions and put all of the tube sockets, grommets, fuse holder, board stand off screws, etc... BEFORE installing Output Transformer, Power Transformer and Choke! Why would you want to start off by adding all that weight and wires in your way when you got all of these little parts that need installed that require flipping the chassis around???? I opted for the heavy stuff last!

c63ee436.jpg

Step 3: Ignore directions again and install the Power cable before PT and OT because getting the grommet for Power cable in is a Biatch and usually takes a little reaming. Which it did so no metal particles in PT or other electronics. Don't forget to put back plate on first though!!!!

b8fd3c8a.jpg

Step 4: Drive to Menards and buy the 11/32 Lock Nuts they forgot to provide.msp_cursing.gif Also buy some big a$ flat washers for the PT since it doesn't come with internal mounting support ring and it is an aluminum chassis.

31da148d.jpg

Step 5: Install Output Transformer and choke. Put some Loc Tite on Stove bolts to prevent rattling loose in the future. Wait until tomorrow to start wiring up the power section.... TBC

19427b3e.jpg

Step 2: Ignore the directions and put all of the tube sockets, grommets, fuse holder, board stand off screws, etc... BEFORE installing Output Transformer, Power Transformer and Choke! Why would you want to start off by adding all that weight and wires in your way when you got all of these little parts that need installed that require flipping the chassis around???? I opted for the heavy stuff last!

b]Step 5: [/b]Install Output Transformer and choke. Put some Loc Tite on Stove bolts to prevent rattling loose in the future. Wait until tomorrow to start wiring up the power section.... TBC

19427b3e.jpg

I still would have waited to install any trannies until the last possible moment for the reason you stated about the weight. Wire the heaters and controls before the tranny. Transformers are almost the last thing I install and wire up

But that's just me and how I do things - everyone is different.

You rock Andy........So many good threads; so much good knowledge.........thanks....this thread has me amped.

Thanks Damian for the very kind and encouraging words. Love your sense of humor too!! msp_w00t.gif

Archived