Gibson Brands Forums

C'mon Gibson, really? (QC)

TattooedCarrot

I'm a huge Gibson lover (and defender, most of the time). But this guy on another forum just bought a new SG Standard 60's GC exclusive with the open coil pickups and slim taper neck and look at the pickups......someone run out of cloth tape and ran to the local hardware store for some cheap black electrical tape? This is the kind of thing, as minor as it is, that fuels the Gibson QC fires.

ElectricalTape.jpg

ClothTape.jpg

I was thinking the same and if you look at the top photo it looks like the cloth tape is coiled up behind the other tape. And since there is only one photo who is to say this isn't a spoof and someone trying to get others upset. Trolls do it all the time.

I think the tape is covering the cloth. good call [thumbup]

1) You guys would rather believe this is photoshopped or an altered return item rather than a Gibson QC issue? While not impossible, that position seems more based in being overly defensive of Gibson rather than logical.

2) And I already mentioned its a small issue, but an issue none the less. So no need to make the tone snobbery references, this is not about that and I'm not one of those.

Also, I just bought a new LP Special myself (not faded, exclusive run) from GC that had 3 of the 4 pickup screws that hold the P90's in place missing and the neck pickup falls out of the cavity against the strings. Again, not a big deal, but Gibson should tighten up these little issues rather than send stuff out the door like that.

And for what its worth, most my guitars are Gibsons and I am very brand loyal to them where it counts - my wallet. Gibson generally gets about 75% of my GAS money. .

Her's the original thread, for those who care. Judge for yourself http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/118047-guitar-center-exclusive-new-gibson-sg-standard-60s.html

The buyer should contact the store he or she purchased it from.

On a personal note...... Is this buyer blind???? [confused] ...... Shouldn't one look the guitar over before throwing down his or her cash???? That "electrical tape" has a "-100 dollar off the current price" bargaining chip all over it [biggrin].... Then call Stew-mac for $3 worth of pup bobbin [biggrin] .........

Life is grand if one can learn to find dollars of opportunity in a penny of misfortune. [thumbup]

The buyer should contact the store he or she purchased it from.

On a personal note...... Is this buyer blind???? [confused] ...... Shouldn't one look the guitar over before throwing down his or her cash???? That "electrical tape" has a "-100 dollar off the current price" bargaining chip all over it [biggrin].... Then call Stew-mac for $3 worth of pup bobbin [biggrin] .........

Life is grand if one can learn to find dollars of opportunity in a penny of misfortune. [thumbup]

You said it.

How freakin' hard is it to look over a piece of equipment, regardless of its application, before you purchase?

if it is something minor, then use it to your advantage and get the price knocked down.

I agree that it probably should never have made it through the QC process like that, could have been a 4pm Friday guitar.

Still, it all comes to THOROUGHLY looking something over BEFORE you buy it.

You said it.

How freakin' hard is it to look over a piece of equipment, regardless of its application, before you purchase?

if it is something minor, then use it to your advantage and get the price knocked down.

I agree that it probably should never have made it through the QC process like that, could have been a 4pm Friday guitar.

Still, it all comes to THOROUGHLY looking something over BEFORE you buy it.

Considering the GC run SG Standards have pickup covers, this is either a returned one or he didn't get a chance to look under the covers until after he brought it home. As for the screws thing on the Special, I'm guessing you bought a model that was on the sales floor.

Yup on looking at the retailer rather than just Gibson.

And that's not necessarily entirely the retailer either, especially if something's been out a week or so and returned apparently intact.

When my Dad was a car and motorcycle dealer he went through everthing even on new vehicles and even then on occasion something would get past him. Used vehicles? Good luck. Ditto guitars. And I remember noticing more recent bits of "damage" to what certainly were excellent external finishes by they time they got to the showroom.

Bottom line is that life ain't perfect. A good retail operation with good people probably is less likely to allow problems with a good product. But perfection ain't likely in this life.

m

OK, this is a small issue but, as I keep stating, when you buy an expensive guitar it had better be flawless. Why should we have to check it over? We expect a certain level of QC from a quality company. As I've said before I've never had to check over a PRS or Taylor. I bought my PRS sight unseen and it was indeed flawless.

In my opinion Gibson would better serve its customers (both new and old) to make sure EVERY guitar is perfect when it leaves their shop. Yes it's a small thing, just like the filing marks or paint bleeds on my Les Pauls and ES-339 or a missing screw in R9's SG, but in the long run small issues can seriously hurt a company. These issues aren't going to stop me from buying Gibsons and I don't mean to sound b!tchy about it. I want this company to be around for a long time and I think it's in their best interests to make sure small issues like this don't occur.

I'd agree with you entirely if ... a big if ... I picked it up at the factory.

Yes, you are correct. But things like filing marks and paint bleeds are almost always the fault of the company. The tape issue may not be. I've talked with store owners who get Gibsons shipped directly to them from the company. They all say the same thing about these issues too.

Yes, you are correct. But things like filing marks and paint bleeds are almost always the fault of the company. The tape issue may not be. I've talked with store owners who get Gibsons shipped directly to them from the company. They all say the same thing about these issues too.

Gibson should be held accountable for those mistakes, however they shouldn't be held accountable for jerk kids stealing screws and the like at the local wank shop - or when the item is returned or traded and then sold as new which seems to be happening on a more frequent basis lately.

I sure hear a lot of players pissn', griping and moaning about GC this, and GC that. If GC is that Damn Bad give up on the SOB's already. Give it a break. Other shops sell Gibson, Fender, and G&L with no where near the problems posted about GC.

I sure hear a lot of players pissn', griping and moaning about GC this, and GC that. If GC is that Damn Bad give up on the SOB's already. Give it a break. Other shops sell Gibson, Fender, and G&L with no where near the the problems posted about GC.

I think most of the problems that occur at GC are more the fault of the kids being allowed to have their way with the gear than with the entity themselves. As for other shops, the only other shop within 3 hours of me that also sells them is Best Buy.

Gibson makes some great guitars and I do love them. Their sound is second to none. But if their QC isn't perfect then it will hurt them eventually. The signs are already there. Why did Gibson sue PRS over the singlecut design? It wasn't because of the design. They would have sued everyone then. It's because they were worried about PRS' place in the market. They have a reputation for high quality guitars and it's well deserved. Ask Neo how long it took for him to get his PRS. I think they built 2-3 of them before they were satisfied to send it to him.

OK, this is a small issue but, as I keep stating, when you buy an expensive guitar it had better be flawless. Why should we have to check it over? We expect a certain level of QC from a quality company. As I've said before I've never had to check over a PRS or Taylor. I bought my PRS sight unseen and it was indeed flawless.

In my opinion Gibson would better serve its customers (both new and old) to make sure EVERY guitar is perfect when it leaves their shop. Yes it's a small thing, just like the filing marks or paint bleeds on my Les Pauls and ES-339 or a missing screw in R9's SG, but in the long run small issues can seriously hurt a company. These issues aren't going to stop me from buying Gibsons and I don't mean to sound b!tchy about it. I want this company to be around for a long time and I think it's in their best interests to make sure small issues like this don't occur.

+ 1

I don't think it's just GC - I think it's modern society.

I was at a guitar store that carries Epis last summer, yeah a long drive, and I couldn't believe how parents let 10-year-olds run wild in the place. The store staff just kinda cringed but on the other hand I didn't see prices getting marked down.

It's kinda a catch-22 for today's world. The kids break a guitar that's okay 'cuz it's the store's fault and if the store does anything, they're really nasty. Then you add various other factors and...

Ain't the world in which I was raised.

m

I bet the tape was put on that pickup by a GC employee....A few years ago I went to GC and bought what I was told was a new Martin. After a few days I took it to a certified Martin tech he checked it out and told me it was a 5 year old guitar, after he contacted Martin he found out it had already been sold by GC and returned to GC. The top had sunk and needed a complete reset!

I returned it to GC got my money back, I explained to the store manager what the problem was I had a statement from the tech...two weeks later that guitar was back on the wall at GC, right next to a Taylor that had a crack running down the fretboard....

If you buy a guitar from GC your best off having them order a new one from the factory for you, then have it inspected by a certified tech.

Wow that sounds like a nightmare. I like the way the House of Guitars handles things. They keep their guitars behind glass cases. If you want to play one then an employee takes it down for you and walks with you to the amp room. Kids and even adults aren't free to roam and pick up any guitar. It doesn't hurt their business at all.

In most purchases I do from a local Sam Ash, I have them order a bass from the manufacturer. Because of the mentioned abuse the floor models get. It's also getting more rare these days for even the bigger shops to have an unopened bass or guitar in the case or box in the back room. Not everyone is as picky as I am when looking over a possible new axe.

Archived