Gibson Brands Forums

Flatwounds

pmgnut

Hi all, just got my ES-135. What gauge flatwounds would be pushing it on this guitar as far as added tension? Don't want to put one's on that might be too heavy. Can 11's or 12's safely be put on this guitar?

Certainly 11s and 12s would be safe. Some like 14s. I used 14s on everything until I started to get old and feeble.

Had 14s on my old es125 for years with no ill effect. I now use D'Addario Chrome 11s on everything. I consider them to be light gauge.

I'm kind of curious about these tapewounds and what they are used for

http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricguitarblacknylon.html

I played them on my Epi Emp Reg once.

Nothing wrong with them at all .. I was worried they would be too dark.

For now I have settled on my string choices but if I were to get a new archtop (or find my tastes had changed)

I would definitely give them a try.

Certainly 11s and 12s would be safe. Some like 14s. I used 14s on everything until I started to get old and feeble.

Had 14s on my old es125 for years with no ill effect. I now use D'Addario Chrome 11s on everything. I consider them to be light gauge.

+1 on the .011 Chromes. As soon as my P-90s are installed, that's what I'm going to put on my 135. 11s seem to have sufficient mass to provide a good tone and still allow a good bit of bending.

I'm kind of curious about these tapewounds and what they are used for

http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricguitarblacknylon.html

These are the strings I've been using for years on my archtops. I was introduced to these strings by John and Bucky Pizzarelli, and who's gonna argue with two of the greatest living jazz guitarists, plus I love their (the Pizzarelli's) tone. If you want to hear what they sound like, pick up any John Pizzarelli CD (except the bossa nova one).

For what I do with the jazz big band and combos, these are the perfect strings. These strings are certainly not for everyone, and may be even an acquired taste. It did take me a little time to get used to the sound and feel of them, but now I'm hooked. They may also seem a little pricey, but you get a spare 1st and 2nd in each set, and they last forever. I play these strings between 10 and 15 hours a week and change them once a year.

If you decided to take the plunge, one other word of advise.....get the 14 ga. set (800M), don't be scared. Since the nylon wrapping of the wound strings is "inert" as to the string tension, they feel very comfortable under your fingers, and do not cause extreme tension on you neck. The only strings you feel the extra tension of is the 1st and 2nd plain strings, but you will quickly get used to that. I tried the 12 ga. set first for fear of heavier gauge, and found them to be sloppy and floppy.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any more info.

These are the strings I've been using for years on my archtops. I was introduced to these strings by John and Bucky Pizzarelli, and who's gonna argue with two of the greatest living jazz guitarists, plus I love their (the Pizzarelli's) tone. If you want to hear what they sound like, pick up any John Pizzarelli CD (except the bossa nova one).

For what I do with the jazz big band and combos, these are the perfect strings. These strings are certainly not for everyone, and may be even an acquired taste. It did take me a little time to get used to the sound and feel of them, but now I'm hooked. They may also seem a little pricey, but you get a spare 1st and 2nd in each set, and they last forever. I play these strings between 10 and 15 hours a week and change them once a year.

If you decided to take the plunge, one other word of advise.....get the 14 ga. set (800M), don't be scared. Since the nylon wrapping of the wound strings is "inert" as to the string tension, they feel very comfortable under your fingers, and do not cause extreme tension on you neck. The only strings you feel the extra tension of is the 1st and 2nd plain strings, but you will quickly get used to that. I tried the 12 ga. set first for fear of heavier gauge, and found them to be sloppy and floppy.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any more info.

I checked that link out. Very interesting. I never heard of Black Nylon Tape Flat Wound. I've played .014 gauge before and like the chunky feel. I might buy a set for my Eastman 910. Thanks.

Archived