Gibson Brands Forums

Christmas gifts...

Silenced Fred

Hello everyone-newbie here

For my Christmas gift I received a 1973 Gibson L-5 CES in mint condition. It belonged to my dear grandfather who passed away in September, just short of his 91st birthday.

I'd keep that guitar in its case, and in a nice, warm, dry place. Don't learn on it.

Didn't really get much guitar related (I think my family wouldn't have a clue what to get me), but I did receive a Fender guitar book (sort of like a "The History of..." book). Pretty decent info about all the Fender models, past and present. Also came with a DVD which I just finished watching.

I've picked up two new guitars in the last 3 months, so I don't need to go out and buy myself anything. Well, I have been eyeing a new amp...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a great Christmas. I spent time with both my family, and my girlfriend's family. I've eaten waaay too many cookies. I fear I may need to buy bigger pants if this keeps up.

As for gifts, I got some really cool stuff...

'Life' -Keith Richards' book.

A gift card to my favorite local guitar shop (Pianos N Stuff).

A Gibson calendar.

I'm still waiting to exchange gifts with my girl, so I'll probably get more awesome things. I'm lucky to have so many terrific people in my life.

I think my favorite gift so far is a new lens for my camera (thanks mom and dad!). It's a f/1.8 which can give a really nice bokeh (depth of field) in images. I was effin' around with it today during holiday craziness downtime. Unfortunately I didn't have anybody to model so, I used old Lester here:

4094_6X9_100DPI.jpg

I want to get a Nikon DSLR camera... that's gonna hold back on my GAS, but that is ridiculously sweet man. It looks awesome

I had a great Christmas! As far as guitar-related things go, I got: BOTH of the Dave Hunter Interactive books ( both Gibson and Fender!), a Cry Baby Wah, a BOSS TU pedal tuner, an Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger, a polish/string cleaning set, a guitar riff book, and a ceramic clock with a Les Paul Supreme painted on it. As far as other things go, I received: Grand Theft Auto Episodes of Liberty City for xbox 360, an electric shaver ( shaved my little stash' off today ), a small reading light, an electric toothbrush, an Alan/Hangover poster and T shirt with sayings about his "one man wolf pack", 2 wallets ( a Billabong that I love and a Fender chain wallet), a remote controlled bug toy ( the dog's gonna stay outta the trash now!), an iPod Touch, a LiveWire guitar cord, an iTunes gift card, a Wendys gift card, an Old Spice kit ( with assorted deodorants, sprays, and a scrub brush), and a bunch of assorted clothing ( including an Addidas set with a black sweatshirt and sweatpants). Im a pretty happy luddite right now!

Shred, that's killer you got a V! We need some sound clips asap!

Dem00n & Fred61, I took that pic with my Nikon D300s. I have a D200 I use too. The lens is a 35mm, but on non full frame SLR cameras it works out to be about a 50mm (that's about the same as what we see if you close 1 eye).

Also I got one more awesome gift last night when my girlfriend and I exchanged presents.. She got me a near mint vintage Russian Big Muff Pi. She found one with the wood box, and it even still has the battery door. -They always seem to be missing on the ones I see on eBay. I'm so stoked! I'm going to work on a sound clip vid for it.

Gear wise, I got a bottle of Virtuoso Polish and a bottle of cleaner. I can't decide whether or not to apply it to any or all of my "faded" or "Tribute" Gibsons. Kind of makes think it's the same as rubbing nose-grease or Vaseline on them...

I did also get a copy of Keef's autobio, as well as a copy of the Beatles book "Here, There, and Everywhere".

Oh, and a pair of tix for the Clapton concert here in March.

All in all, a pretty good day in total, but not so much because of the gifts (which turned out spectacular) but really because I had all of the family at home for the first time in a good long while.

Hope you all had a good time, too.

Shred, that's killer you got a V! We need some sound clips asap!

Dem00n & Fred61, I took that pic with my Nikon D300s. I have a D200 I use too. The lens is a 35mm, but on non full frame SLR cameras it works out to be about a 50mm (that's about the same as what we see if you close 1 eye).

Also I got one more awesome gift last night when my girlfriend and I exchanged presents.. She got me a near mint vintage Russian Big Muff Pi. She found one with the wood box, and it even still has the battery door. -They always seem to be missing on the ones I see on eBay. I'm so stoked! I'm going to work on a sound clip vid for it.

Dooooood so jealous of the green Muff. I'm gonna get my (black) Russian Muff modded to pure sweetness.

Ok I'll play... As couple gifts, my wife and I got a Nuwave Pro infrared oven, cooking ware, house stuff, etc. Me, I got two nice long sleeves, some handkerchiefs, a check, plus a GC gift card (courtesy of my awesome wife)! Now, who says men don't like to got shopping? [biggrin]

But more importantly, we got His gift of being with one another in health and joy.

What did I get? I got me a daughter who makes a good Santa.

A year ago this New Year's Eve, my dog wandered off while we were visiting family in Arkansas. The night was too cold for our little dog to survive the night. After a solid 10 hours of searching and 2 days of waiting for her to come back, we left the state without our puppy. (15 yrs old, 12lbs.) A week later we got a call from someone who found her about a mile from my FIL's place. We had our phone number on her ID tag. My FIL picked her up, then buried here on his property.

For Christmas, my daughter bought me a book. It was a SnapFish item whereby you can create a hard back book using personal pictures. It was a photo biography of my puppy's life from the day I picked her out until a couple days before she disappeared.

When I unwrapped it I thought it was a kid's book for me to read to my grandkids. Then I saw my puppy on the cover. [crying] I usually avoid emoting when my kids are present, but this caught my by surprise and I .... emoted. I will cherish the book for the rest of my life.

What did I get? I got me a daughter who makes a good Santa.

A year ago this New Year's Eve, my dog wandered off while we were visiting family in Arkansas. The night was too cold for our little dog to survive the night. After a solid 10 hours of searching and 2 days of waiting for her to come back, we left the state without our puppy. (15 yrs old, 12lbs.) A week later we got a call from someone who found her about a mile from my FIL's place. We had our phone number on her ID tag. My FIL picked her up, then buried here on his property.

For Christmas, my daughter bought me a book. It was a SnapFish item whereby you can create a hard back book using personal pictures. It was a photo biography of my puppy's life from the day I picked her out until a couple days before she disappeared.

When I unwrapped it I thought it was a kid's book for me to read to my grandkids. Then I saw my puppy on the cover. [crying] I usually avoid emoting when my kids are present, but this caught my by surprise and I .... emoted. I will cherish the book for the rest of my life.

Wow man that made me well up. I've had my dog Fasha for 14 years and can't bare to think about the day she will be gone. I seriously tear up just thinking of it. I got her for Christmas and she has been the best gift ever! So sorry to hear about your loss and can definitely understand the emotion of your daughters gift. Very sweet! There's nothing better than a good dog!

Peace to you and yours.

Sincerely,

Andy

For my Christmas gift I received a 1973 Gibson L-5 CES in mint condition. It belonged to my dear grandfather who passed away in September, just short of his 91st birthday. He was an incredible guitarist, having taught himself how to play when he was quite young. He collected many Gibson guitars over the years, and each of his four grandchildren received one this Christmas Eve. I am so honored to have this amazing gift, but have to admit that I am a little flummoxed over what to do with it. I don't play, and no one in my immediate family plays either. My 14 yo son now is angling to take lessons and learn how to play this guitar (and I admit, I think I want to take lessons as well!) but I don't know that I should let him play something that seems so pristine and only very rarely left the house where my grandfather kept it. (He had one guitar that he used outside the house to play in his band, but his collectibles were kept for playing in the house only.) So, to all you experts out there, is this something we should play and learn on OR do we get a basic guitar and learn on that keeping the L-5 for when we know what we're doing?

Like others more knowledgable than me have said, put it away nice and safe and get he two of you something less precious to learn on.

If your son can manage not to scuff, scratch, bash or dent the learner guitar then by all means let him play it, but you'd be surprised how easy it can be to cause minor damage to a guitar, even if you're being careful and specially if you've not got the hang of handling them yet.

Anyway, Christmas presents...

Guitar related:

Epiphone Special II GT

Jim Deacon short-scale bass

Laney RB1 bass amp

Line 6 Pocket Pod

Not guitar related:

A new pair of purple Converse shoes, a top hat, a juicer for the kitchen (bright purple one), a cupcake recipe book and a storage jar shaped like a giant cupcake, a few jumpers, the obligatory socks and chocolates, a purple woolly hat, Sonic Colours for the Nintendo DS, some perfume, a set of nice looking pens that can be refitted to take fibre tips (for drawing my comic), a funky gypsy skirt, some CDs and several cute cuddly things to further take over the house, including a couple of Hello Kitties.

And on the giving end I made outfits for these two as a present for my mum. :)

DSCF7493resize.png

The tshirt design is one of the characters from my comic.

lets see... i got:

-The Beatles Mono Box set

-Abbey Road and Let it Be

-It Might Get Loud

-Jimi Hendrix Gear (the book)

-Some money

all this was from my grandparents and other relatives... my parents are talking about letting me get a new electric guitar and amp as a combined Christmas + high school graduation gift (i will graduate in May).... so we will see how that turns out!! [thumbup][biggrin]

Boy sad story about the dog and a great gift with the photo book, My dog is getting up there in years (fifteen years old) it's pretty sad to think he won't be around many more years as he truly is a great dog and honestly probably my best friend other than the wife.

As sad as this sounds I didn't really need or even want anything guitar related this year so for christmas I got a Taig brand mini mill for machining steel or whatever that I have wanted for doing jewelry for some time but would never buy myself and a new micro Oxy/Acetylene torch so the wife did real good this year. I bought her another $$$ purse her real weakness and a commercial style stove for the new house. so it was a great christmas all around especially because the wife's mother got out of the hospital on the 21st after a real scare and the girls flew home and were here also which meant the whole family was together which is pretty rare anymore.

Archived