Gibson Brands Forums

John Hiatt J-45

smann

How ironic. I was listening to JH's greatest hits in the truck all day today. Slow Turnin'.... what a great song. Anyway, I don't know anything about this sig guitar but that particular one in the video is incredibly punchy for only having light strings on it!

How ironic. I was listening to JH's greatest hits in the truck all day today. Slow Turnin'.... what a great song. Anyway, I don't know anything about this sig guitar but that particular one in the video is incredibly punchy for only having light strings on it!

Hey GGirl, +1 on "Slow Turnin'" [thumbup] I am a huge John Hiatt fan. Just a great song writer/lyricist. "Icy Blue Heart" is a great example. His vocal style is inimatable. Check out his album 'Crossing Muddy Waters' also. Lots of acoustic and mandolin.

JH has been a Gibson guitar guy for a long time. He used to be seen with a J-100 quite often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d03jynaUBLM

Rod

Hey GGirl, +1 on "Slow Turnin'" [thumbup] I am a huge John Hiatt fan. Just a great song writer/lyricist. "Icy Blue Heart" is a great example. His vocal style is inimatable. Check out his album 'Crossing Muddy Waters' also. Lots of acoustic and mandolin.

JH has been a Gibson guitar guy for a long time. He used to be seen with a J-100 quite often.

Rod

Retro, he sure is a great songwriter/lyricist, isn't he? "I'm yelling at the kids in the back cause they're banging like Charlie Watts" LOL I will DEFINITELY check out Crossing Muddy Waters as I don't have that one. Thanks for the headsup [thumbup]

I watched this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsu49-orZss of the John Hiatt J45 yesterday. I've always wanted a J45. Having grown up on a Martin D35 I'm used to a V shape neck and this new Gibson sounds like the ticket. Kinda pricey though, I'll probably have to settle for a TV.

Darius

Jannusguy! Looks like John was wearing the same shirt as in your pic. Same day? Favorite shirt?

Is he a cool dude in person? Seems like he would be kinda 'out there'...

I played the John Hiatt model about a week ago before eventually settling on a TV instead. It was a very well made instrument, but was a bit dead sounding, with a lack of sustain. Next to the TV there really was no comparison!

The pickup it comes with is top notch though, so if your a live player who likes to plug in this is probably a great choice. I honestly think that the J-45 TV is as good as a guitar can get (sound wise as it's low on bling for those who like it) for people who play and sing. It's got such an earthy warm sound.

"Jannusguy! Looks like John was wearing the same shirt as in your pic. Same day? Favorite shirt?

Is he a cool dude in person? Seems like he would be kinda 'out there'...

He's nice enough. I have done many shows with him over the years. He's always been pleasant and engaging in our encounters. It's either his nature or he's being deferential because I'm paying his guarantee. Seriously, he's a decent guy.

I played one next to a regular T.V. and I preferred the T.V. seems to me they are just like any other guitar in that it is going to change a bit from each one made. However I will say it seems just as well made and if the difference for the aesthetics was only one or two hundred bones I might grab one... Well grab one in my imaginary world where I have money ($700 or so more and I might be able to get my first gibby).

Cover art INDEED! I love the ol' "California Girl" case sitting open in the right front of the picture. AS IF it had just 'delivered' that SJ into his lap....

Yep, and look at palette - every colour is there (even straight blue in the leather reflections) and they hold back the hue in perfect balance. I'd call it a painting -

Wonder what he was playing. . .

Archived