Gibson Brands Forums

Crappy Picture....

Murph

And I wouldn't ever say all Norlin's are crappy - there's gems to be found. And that Norlin SG you've got there looks cool.

Mine IS a gem, I was bouncing off another thread where someone said all Norlins were crap......

I was just VENTING.........

Murph; love the picture of the lil lady. Its a great picture and I was wondering you still playing out or did ya give that up also?

I actually quit the Band a few weeks before I quit drinking. Me and the drummer had been at odds for a while. My phones ran off the hook for several months, I still get offers, but haven't gigged a bar since. Haven't been in one actually. Today (ironically) is 10 months without a drop, I'm going to wait until it's been a year AT LEAST, before I even consider a bar gig.

I'm working on a solo acoustic CD project, I'm playing all of the instruments including bass, guitars, slide, mandolin and banjo so that's keeping me busy enough musically to keep my chops up.......

Hogwash! They may not be for everyone, and some high-end vintage collector nerds would probably run away at the sight of a paddle-headstock Norlin SG or a pancake body 70s LP (and definitely a Corvus!), but I love my Norlin-era 1981 Sonex 180 Deluxe, I was playing her last night for hours and even though she's a total rusty mutt and beat to hell I love that guitar! Heavy as hell, not a spot of chrome on her that isn't pitted out, totally rusty non-stock Seymour Duncans, the headstock's still the yellowed but original white on the back, the body was painted black at some point and the neck has been sanded down to the wood and lightly satin-finished. And the ultimate Gibson travesty, a bolt-on neck too. It's a total Road Warrior of a Norlin that sounds loud and aggressive and I can take it to any gig without worrying about dings and dents. That's an awesome SG that you've got Murph, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! [thumbup] I especially like those '61 style small pickguard SGs like that; my roommate has a Norlin-era '73 SG in a dark natural finish with a third pickup added, if he ever sells it I'll be first in line.

Hang in Murph -

Ive got a crappy old MM from way back in '59 - I inherited it from my brother (gone since '94 - maybe a lesson there for us all, but...)

But my niece won't give it up. I've offered to help her "restore" it, but I think she knows what I"m thinking... so I haven't seen it in years.

The Explorer with the crappy Schaller bridge that looks like a harmonica is in MY closet now, but that's another thing.

INRDC.jpg

As for pics, I use imgur.com for cheap (read:free) picture hosting, no registration, no nothing - just upload and then copy the link to the forum.

Hope all is well with you and look forward to more great gear pics.

How does she play? No matter if it's a norlin or whatever, doesn't matter if it's considered ugly or politically incorrect as long as she plays great (as I suspect she does, or else you wouldn't have it and wouldn't take her to gigs!) [thumbup]

It's a truly GREAT guitar, Thunder. I was just razzin' some moron in another thread who said all Norlins were crap.

I gigged that guitar from Lake Charles, La., up to here, played it in a COUNTRY band for nearly a year with a JCM900 1/2 stack because the other guitar player used a Strat. They blended really well, we did a lot of dual (harmonizing)leads.

The ceremic "velvet brick" cream/white bridge pickup will drive a twin into distortion.

She's a hotty.........

Archived