Gibson Brands Forums

GFS "New Soapbar 180s" into '56 GT

Bender 4 Life

great idea, humbucker in a P-90 sized soapbar......looks more vintage than minis too.

got a set for Christmas, tried installing them last night.....

everything was going fine, until I tried screwing the p'ups into the cavities.

standard P-90s are "center mount" screws, but the "Soapbar 180s" are end mount see below, (+ = screwhole)

I+::::::+I

the wire rout end screw hole on BOTH p'ups is directly above the rout hole in the cavity, requiring longer screws that will screw directly into the bottom of the rout its'self, the screws supplied by GFS just "dangle" in the air above the target.

i'm sure my local hardware store or Radio Shack will have screws that will do the job, but I DID e-mail GFS to let them know about this.......hopefully they'll start adding a longer screw w/each p'up "just in case".

new product, growing pains, understandable.....just wanted to let y'all know.

I put a set of minis in mine and same problem. I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood and glued it to the bottom of the cavity and screwed them into it. It was only a problem on one end of each pup because of the wiring.

FYI - Allparts sells mounting brackets for minis, not sure if they will work with the 180s. I didn't know that when I mounted mine.

I put a set of minis in mine and same problem. I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood and glued it to the bottom of the cavity and screwed them into it. It was only a problem on one end of each pup because of the wiring.

FYI - Allparts sells mounting brackets for minis, not sure if they will work with the 180s. I didn't know that when I mounted mine.

I remember when you did that, and it turned out a fine looking , and (i'm sure) sounding job.

I installed a set of GFS minis that come with the rings (great deal btw) in one of mine and ran into that problem, ended up screwing a pc of wood into the rout to have some "anchor wood".

Since these 180s are sort of experimental for me, I don't want to glue or screw extra wood to the guitar, i'll try the hardware shop when it opens this morning, and if I strike out there i'll hit "Rat Shack" on my way in to work tonight.

These are the p'ups....

My link

i'll post pics when it's finished.........

Yea, that's what i would do, rather that screw directly into the guitar wood with a longer screw ...just in case.

Archived