Gibson Brands Forums

1955 Gibson J-160e questions

Joe B

I have a 1955 Gibson J-160e.

Does anyone know a of good light gauge set of strings that work well with the J-160e P90 pickup?

Also should I need a replacement pickup, where can I find one?

Does Gibson send out the wireing diagram for this model?

Also the guitar has 19 frets, although it has a W to start the serial indicating it's a '55. Any info on that?

Thanks,

Joe

Welcome JoeB! I believe any steel string acoustic set will be fine with the Gibson P-90 pickup in this guitar. Its like any other P-90..... without a cover. These single coils like a regular electric guitar amp better than the 'acoustic amps' available today. Have all the wiring connections and jack tested. If the pickup is genuinely "dead" and can't be fixed.....it can certainly be re-wound to spec OR a replacement installed. P-90's come in different flavors by different makers.....

....the wiring is standard 2-wire,2-control stuff that can be accessed by googling or using a qualified tech.

Not sure about the date question, Rod

Congrats on having a very cool guitar! Any pics to share?

You'll want to use nickel-wound rather than bronze-wound strings. There's not enough iron content in the bronze strings to work well with that P90. GHS does make a "White Bronze" string designed for acoustic guitar magnetic pickups that might be just the ticket (to ride).

+1 on the GHS White Bronze. I recently discovered them and love how they sound on my 1951 CF-100e. I play it acoustically or plug it into a PA or Acoustic AG60 Combo amp. Incidentally, I have a 1955 CF-100e (also W prefix) for sale in the Trading Post section.

I have a 1955 Gibson J-160e.

Does anyone know a of good light gauge set of strings that work well with the J-160e P90 pickup?

Also should I need a replacement pickup, where can I find one?

Does Gibson send out the wireing diagram for this model?

Also the guitar has 19 frets, although it has a W to start the serial indicating it's a '55. Any info on that?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

A '55 with 19 frets, huh? If this guitar has a pre-'55 spec fretboard, I wonder if it has scalloped tone bars? Could you check for us?

John

Not sure what a scalloped tone bar is.

Hi Joe,

A '55 with 19 frets, huh? If this guitar has a pre-'55 spec fretboard, I wonder if it has scalloped tone bars? Could you check for us?

John

The bracing does not look to be scallopped

Hi Joe,

John

Archived