Gibson Brands Forums

ES 336 or 339 for fingerstyle jazz?

tipp55

Which, if either, is the best choice for fingerstyle jazz, The ES 336 or the ES 339?

Warm, not-too-bright, mellow is the ideal sound I have in my head.

I'm thinking Howard Morgen-type music.

Any advice or recommendaions appreciated.

John.

Thanks. I thought they both had similar shapes.

Haven't had a chance to see either but going to look at a new 339 in a few weeks.

yes definitely try both out if you can. see if you like the necks, the sound, the playability, etc.

Ive never really played the 336, maybe once or twice. but still, try to check out both guitars. [thumbup]

I don't think of any of the ES-3XX's as jazz guitars, especially not mellow jazz fingerstyle guitars. The ES thinlines and semi-hollows were designed for Rock & Roll.

Have you looked into and played any full depth, fully hollow archtops. There's a full range of hollow body archtop jazz guitars between the Epiphone and Gibson lines.

I had an ES 175 and a 335 but I didn't really care for either and sold them.

I briefly played someone's 339 a year ago and I liked it.

The memory has faded a bit but I thought the sound was close to what I

thought was what I wanted.

John.

I had an ES 175 and a 335 but I didn't really care for either and sold them.

I briefly played someone's 339 a year ago and I liked it.

The memory has faded a bit but I thought the sound was close to what I

thought was what I wanted.

John.

I`ve never played a 336 , but I do own a 339 , and I play with my fingers more than I use a pick. Keith

I don't think of any of the ES-3XX's as jazz guitars, especially not mellow jazz fingerstyle guitars. The ES thinlines and semi-hollows were designed for Rock & Roll.

Funny, my main axe I use for live performances with my Jazz combo and big band is an ES 137... Never had any complaints... I prefer semi-hollows and my LP custom because I don't have to worry about feedback and just think the tone is slightly better...

But really any fat sound will do... It's all up to you... A full big hollow body will do just fine also... So as long as your playing produces the tone/sounds needed...

I play F/S on many different hollow and solid guitars...IMO a lot of it is down to personal preference, technique, amp settings etc.

I like to have definition across the tonal spectrum, so a brighter sound is sometimes better

A Strat or Tele can sound terrific when finger-picked...and warm up when required by EQ adjustment

V

:-({|=

• 4 weeks later...

Archived