Gibson Brands Forums

Is This A Fake?

Jesse Reed

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Limited-Edition-/290515175371?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a40dc7cb

This is one of the most rare Gibson Les Paul in history.

I bought this guitar at Rockin’ Robins Guitars in Houston, TX in 1979. They had just 3 of these rare Les Pauls. I bought one of them. The sales rep told me then that Gibson only made 100 of this model and they were only allowed to have 3 for inventory.

Serial number 73449041 Case included.

A couple of Guitar Techs over the years have recognized this rare Paul.

Shipping includes insurance that is why it seems expensive. UPS charges $1.25 per $100 for insurance coverage. You wouldn’t want something that valuable shipped without insurance. I can waive the insurance if the buyer instructs me to do so.

The only things that I know it needs for servicing is have the volume, tone pots cleaned. There is a little hum when you first plug in the cord and the knob that holds the back guitar strap is a little loose.

This is a very painful decision to sell but I would rather pay my property taxes.

One of the challenges when I go to guitar shows to have this guitar appraised is finding a dealer/collector that recognizes this model. At the last show I went to only one vendor recognized this model out of dozens of vendors at the show.

The price of this guitar is substantial. If you’re not recognizing this model I would like to kindly suggest bidding or buy it now some other guitar listing on Ebay.

You are bidding on a guitar Stradivarius, one of Gibson’s most rare guitars. I may never offer this again. When the Ebay free listing fees offer expires January 1st , the price of this guitar will be to prohibitive to list anymore. This is the last days of this offer to get this ultra rare Gibson guitar. Time is running out.

Thank you everyone for visiting this listing and your interest in this listing.

Note: For perspective buyers that have questions please send only relevant questions to be answered by seller. Abusive comments sent to seller will start to be reported to Ebay. Thank you. Happy Holidays.

$27,000 For The Starting Price

Looks like a fake to me, look at the control knobs, they are mis-aligned. Frets are wrong type, does not look like a refret. It's pretty easy to call Robin's and have them look at the auction to verify it

$27k opening bid with 4 crappy images and no back of headstock shot? No image of the back of the neck so as to verify no scarf joint and serial number?

Looks like it was left in a smokers living room for several months

Run screaming in the other direction

To me it kinda looks like one of those early Jimmy Wallace 59 reissue Les Pauls (1980) [confused] .... If it is, those guitars go for serious money....

I have no idea if it's real or not (especially with those inadequate pics). What I DO know is that I'll be amazed if the guitar sells with this listing without a TON of additional information and pics.

He says:

This is one of the most rare Gibson Les Paul in history.

I bought this guitar at Rockin’ Robins Guitars in Houston, TX in 1979. They had just 3 of these rare Les Pauls. I bought one of them. The sales rep told me then that Gibson only made 100 of this model and they were only allowed to have 3 for inventory.

Yet he never even says what this "rare model" is? I'd be trumpeting that at the top of my lungs (and listing!) if it were such a rare model.

But hey, he's got perfect feedback (100%) with a whopping score of 53 ( [laugh] ). To earn that, he's sold LOTS of posters.... [wink] . Pass....

I see your point....

I think we can be assured this individual will not get $30k for that guitar. However the guitar does appear to be an authentic Gibson, and it resembles those 79-85 59RI's that Gibson was making for special distributors.... especially the body.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be nice of you (or anyonoe else that can do it) to ask gibson if it's one of them and then tell him so he can put a decent description of it (including model) on the auction? If it's one of those you are saying he would get more money than by just sayin "it's rare" and not giving a reason why. [thumbup]

To me it kinda looks like one of those early Jimmy Wallace 59 reissue Les Pauls (1980) [confused] .... If it is, those guitars go for serious money....

Agreed the top looks like one of the 'specials' that were made for the likes of Jimmy Wallace (although most of the, admittedly few, JW's I've seen pictured had quilt-tops) but those were pretty much good-quality '59 replicas and, as such, had ABR-1s; covered p-ups; Nickel-plated fittings; narrow headstock; Kluson tuners; 'Jimmy Wallace' engraved on the TRC etc...etc...

The last time I saw a JW for sale it was advertised at $7,500. I don't know if it sold, however.

The one pictured has the wide headstock so it's definitely not a '59 re-issue. It also has a 'burst finished rear (look at the sides of the headstock) so that re-inforces the fact of it not being a re-issue. The tailpiece appears to be a non-Gibson unit; the stop-bar also looks to be an aftermarket piece; the nut has been swapped for a brass one; it's had a re-fret; the tuners have been replaced...and so on.

And, not that it affects the value at all, it's absolutely Filthy!

It's just a regular Norlin era Les Paul, with some hardware changes no way near woth 27 K, I have asked the seller twice what specifically is rare about this guitar and he will not respond.

I agree. Whatever the seller claims it once was, it's just a Norlin-era Standard with a fancy top and lots of 'wrong' fittings. I doubt the Zebra's are original either. He'd be lucky to get $1,500 for that thing.

Archived