Gibson Brands Forums

tuner replacement question

BryanFoFyan

i am switiching out my stock tuners on my sheraton to grover rotomatic tuners and the screw holes dont match up. is it necessary to intsall the screws or are the bushings enough to keep the tuners stable on the headstock? id prefer to not drill new holes but if its a must i certainly will

i am switiching out my stock tuners on my sheraton to grover rotomatic tuners and the screw holes dont match up. is it necessary to intsall the screws or are the bushings enough to keep the tuners stable on the headstock?

Probably the best way to find out would be to suck it and see, one not of caution, don't tighten the bushings up too much, you don't want one of them snapping in half.

Bryanfofyan,

Try it if you want but the screws are there for a reason.

If the bushings are too tight you could damage the threads or even the headstock.

Too loose and the string pressure could cause the tuners to twist and scar the back of the headstock.

Easiest fix: If old holes are close to new ones fill with glue and tooth pick.

If not, fill with matching color crayon wax.

Use needle as center punch to mark and start new screw hole. Finish by drilling with pin drill / pin vice:

pinvisex300.jpg

Comes with very small drill bits and costs about $10

Willy

Edit: If you use a pin vice, take your time. Bits that small are very fragile.

Too loose and the string pressure could cause the tuners to twist and scar the back of the headstock.

It depends, some tuners (can't speak for the Grover Rotos personally) have a series of dimples that sit proud of the mating surface, these are designed to bite into the back of the headstock and prevent movement, if the Rotomatics have them, I'd still try the screwless option.

I have been assuming that you wish to keep the headstock in original condition, if this is not a concern then the method Willy outlined above would be the preferred method.

Hey W W, thanks for the heads up on the pin drill. I asked for one as a stocking stuffer this year after seeing one of your posts and I've already used it 3 different times. Slick tool.

Glad you like it and are getting use out of it.

It depends, some tuners (can't speak for the Grover Rotos personally) have a series of dimples that sit proud of the mating surface, these are designed to bite into the back of the headstock and prevent movement

Bryanfofyan,

RaSTuS is correct.

However, Grover Rotomatics do have smooth backs. You can always try. If it doesn't work out you can always add the screws later. I just wouldn't want you to mar the back of your headstock unnecessarily.

Perhaps a thin piece of rubber under the tuner? Don't know if it would help or make it worse.

Willy

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940737000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Willy

Edit: Even if they carried it, they probably wouldn't know what it is.

They are easy to order and pick up. However, the first time I bought one I called half a dozen Sears around Detroit. Every one said they had them but no one could find them. I gave them the model and Sears I.D. number. The sales person in each case said they had them but they couldn't find it.

One sales person even said that the computer told him they had 3 in stock. I asked him to verify. He said that he couldn't find them so they must be in the stock room.

He checked the stock room and couldn't find any.He then told me they must be out.

I asked if he was going to order more. He told me that he couldn't because the computer says he has 3 in stock?

I went to the store and they had 10 of them on a rack not 5' from the tool checkout register where the guy I talked to was standing!......Go figure.

Problem is that they would rather hire someone with a degree in retail sales instead of someone that actually knows tools.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940737000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Willy

Edit: Even if they carried it, they probably wouldn't know what it is.

They are easy to order and pick up. However, the first time I bought one I called half a dozen Sears around Detroit. Every one said they had them but no one could find them. I gave them the model and Sears I.D. number. The sales person in each case said they had them but they couldn't find it.

One sales person even said that the computer told him they had 3 in stock. I asked him to verify. He said that he couldn't find them so they must be in the stock room.

He checked the stock room and couldn't find any.He then told me they must be out.

I asked if he was going to order more. He told me that he couldn't because the computer says he has 3 in stock?

I went to the store and they had 10 of them on a rack not 5' from the tool checkout register where the guy I talked to was standing!......Go figure.

Problem is that they would rather hire someone with a degree in retail sales instead of someone that actually knows tools.

hah i hear you on that one

1+ on that. I printed out the picture for my wife, to make it easier for her to find. She went to the Sears around here and asked the "tool expert" if they carried them. He'd never seen one before. and as he told her that. she noticed them hanging on the display 2' away. Reinforces that old addage, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

got that tool from sears. its wonderful after the sales people searching around for it saying they definatly dont have it. i found it. and i decided to just install the tuners the right way and drill new holes. should be changing pups next week then the sheraton will be all done.

Archived