Gibson Brands Forums

Is it worth considering the DR 212 Acoustic?

gvdv

I went back and played the one I saw last week, and was less impressed with it this time. It sounded ok tonally but was VERY quiet. I played a $300 Yamaha that sounded much better but it was 100 (50%) dollars more... Course I'm not a 12 string player and have never owned one so take it FWIW.

I went back and played the one I saw last week, and was less impressed with it this time. It sounded ok tonally but was VERY quiet. I played a $300 Yamaha that sounded much better but it was 100 (50%) dollars more... Course I'm not a 12 string player and have never owned one so take it FWIW.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for this.

I have to say that volume is not really an issue for me, as I would probably be mostly recording with the guitar, and even if I were gigging, it would be amplified.

I did have a chance a few years ago to buy a 12 string Yamaha that sounded (from the ad I saw) that it was exactly what I was looking for, but once again decided that I could not allocate the funds. I have a great Yamaha 6 string from the 80's, although I have been really unimpressed with some of their more recent offerings.

One issue for me with 12 strings is the 'width' of the neck (measured from 1st. string to 6th. string) - I often find that 12 strings are a bit to wide in that respect for me to play comfortably.

Has anyone here played an Ovation 12 string? I imagine that the necks would be narrower than on other (Fender, Yamaha) 12's - is that right? Of course, the budget would probably also be outside what I am prepared to pay.

Thanks, once again, for your message,

All the best,

gvdv.

Archived