Gibson Brands Forums

Building a Speaker Cabinet

Andre S

Yes of course marine grade plywood. Birch if possible. White pine though isn't really that good. That's what I meant to say, a good grade of plywood. Don't let any one talk you into ply-board instead.

Saying that I can't get void free marine grade plywood, I will use nice solid white pine instead then?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problems with solid woods are they are still living, bending, twisting, expanding and contracting etc... Especially as a speaker cabinet and really especially if you go with a sealed back design as now you have a lot of pressure beating the wood. Also each side of the cabinet and front baffle will have different sonic qualities due to the irregularity between the pieces. The irregularity in the woods is why you don't see many solid kitchen cabinets etc... even most solid doors are multiple pieces of wood.

The reason you don't want to go with construction grade plywood is that it usually contains a lot of empty air pockets between the layers which is just bad period not to mention if that is where you land when you try to finger joint it. Using a grade 15 layer Cabinet grade plywood will be your best investment and least headache.

My 2 cents... SYK I used to build 4/12 cabinets for ASI/Quantum years ago.....

The problems with solid woods are they are still living, bending, twisting, expanding and contracting etc... Especially as a speaker cabinet and really especially if you go with a sealed back design as now you have a lot of pressure beating the wood. Also each side of the cabinet and front baffle will have different sonic qualities due to the irregularity between the pieces. The irregularity in the woods is why you don't see many solid kitchen cabinets etc... even most solid doors are multiple pieces of wood.

The reason you don't want to go with construction grade plywood is that it usually contains a lot of empty air pockets between the layers which is just bad period not to mention if that is where you land when you try to finger joint it. Using a grade 15 layer Cabinet grade plywood will be your best investment and least headache.

My 2 cents... SYK I used to build 4/12 cabinets for ASI/Quantum years ago.....

I'll update when I know exactly what type of material the hardware has. Then I'll be able to make the best choice.

I'll update when I know exactly what type of material the hardware has. Then I'll be able to make the best choice.

Oh forgot to mention cupping of solid woods as well. If your stuck with solid white pine you could rip it into strips and then glue clamp them together. Runner it through a planer and an edger and it should stay pretty stable. ....

Oh forgot to mention cupping of solid woods as well. If your stuck with solid white pine you could rip it into strips and then glue clamp them together. Runner it through a planer and an edger and it should stay pretty stable. ....

Working only with: 3 handsaws, drill and chisel.....no electric tools (don't have them, and it would cut into my amp fund to buy some.)

I attempted my first finger joints by hand yesterday.

One of the fingers broke off, but that was because it was smaller than the others, and I didn't do the fingers exactly equal, one of them was half the size of the others.

Working only with: 3 handsaws, drill and chisel.....no electric tools (don't have them, and it would cut into my amp fund to buy some.)

I attempted my first finger joints by hand yesterday.

One of the fingers broke off, but that was because it was smaller than the others, and I didn't do the fingers exactly equal, one of them was half the size of the others.

Man you got your work cut out for you! Where do you live may I ask? You might try finding a local kitchen cabinet maker build you one pretty cheap. You might also consider looking at around at thrift stores, antique shops, etc... to see if there is something already built you could turn into a speaker cabinet. Might even actually find something cool. Good luck!!!

Man you got your work cut out for you! Where do you live may I ask? You might try finding a local kitchen cabinet maker build you one pretty cheap. You might also consider looking at around at thrift stores, antique shops, etc... to see if there is something already built you could turn into a speaker cabinet. Might even actually find something cool. Good luck!!!

Naw, I like woodworking by hand. I've already built some stuff including an amplifier head cab using simple butt joints, glued and nailed.

I like the challenge of hand tools and so far everytime I built something, I've cut myself with the saw or hammered my thumb, so I have a slight hesitation with working with power tools. Except routers.

Okay, I got in conctact with the hardwares. They don't sell Baltic Birch Plywood (big shock there.....), they only have Brazillian plywood, that is NOT marine grade and I don't know if its non void.

So Brazillian plywood or White Pine?

Naw, I like woodworking by hand. I've already built some stuff including an amplifier head cab using simple butt joints, glued and nailed.

I like the challenge of hand tools and so far everytime I built something, I've cut myself with the saw or hammered my thumb, so I have a slight hesitation with working with power tools. Except routers.

I hear ya I have mashed, cut, beat, punctured about every digit I have. I guess you just nailed the most important part of what you're trying to do and that is have fun building something the way you want it! So have fun as I'm getting ready to try to finish building my tube amp hopefully with out electrocuting myself or burning down the house. Let us know how you progress!

Regards,

Andy

`

...V-30 speakers are fine..They can handle much

more than 30 watts...Cabba will probably recommend

Weber speakers..Good choice....

`

Looky here, about the 7th item down on the page, altho

items move downward as new ones are added at the top.

There's Weber 12's just a coupla items below the Weber

"Mass" attenuator.

http://www.chrisguitars.com/spkrs-weber-silverbell-16-pair.jpg

http://www.chrisguitars.com/

Chris is local, I've dealt with him repeatedly over the

past 10 yr. He can seem kinda grumpy but don't be put

off by that. He's knowledgeable and honest, and he's

got a clean pair of 30W Webers you wanna check out ....

He's local to me, but he ships everywhere.

`

So Braz Plywood or White Pine?

Me thinks White Pine.

The handwired fender 57 Champ sounds pretty good with its fingerjointed pine cab

I would go with the plywood if it is decent quality. The champ is a very small enclosure 8" Speaker and low wattage so they could get away with it. What you're talking about building will obviously be much larger and using hand tools I think you will end up with a better result using the plywood. Just my 2 cents!!!

I would go with the plywood if it is decent quality. The champ is a very small enclosure 8" Speaker and low wattage so they could get away with it. What you're talking about building will obviously be much larger and using hand tools I think you will end up with a better result using the plywood. Just my 2 cents!!!

Well the ply is not marine grade and probably not non void. All I know is its Brazillian ply and 3/4" thick. I doubt its high quality.

Well I must digress and admit I'm wrong. msp_blushing.gifmsp_blushing.gifmsp_blushing.gif I would have never thought pine to be a stable medium for speaker cabs but after some quick research it seems you are "Barking up the right Tree" here.

Found a good link for you to check out if you haven't found it already.

Custom Fender Cabinets

Let us see it when it's done!

Well I must digress and admit I'm wrong. msp_blushing.gifmsp_blushing.gifmsp_blushing.gif I would have never thought pine to be a stable medium for speaker cabs but after some quick research it seems you are "Barking up the right Tree" here.

Custom Fender Cabinets

Definitely man! I'm ordering the pine tomorrow. 1" * 12" so I may need two to build two cabs. I hope that the hardware will be open tomorrow though, you know with New Years Eve......if it is I will start tomorrow. School starts Monday so I should have the first one complete by the next weekend.

Custom Fender Cabinets

I wish I could do dovetails though....even though I am tolexing it, dovetails are extremely pretty. Finger Joints, which I have already done once, I feel more comfortable doing. But there is one nice video on youtube that makes it look very easy.

Who knows....maybe I will give it a shot.

Since you are apparently going to use this for a 6 stringer, and not a bass cab, you've got a better chance of a clean sound. I would never go the bass cab route again with the white pine. Really want to see how it turns out. [thumbup]

Archived