Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Plains

Video games

This is from someone who doesn't play any video game since they took Tempest out of the arcade! [thumbup]

That game and Galaga were my two all-time favorites! Galaga translated better to the home systems, Tempest was never the same again without that wheel... [biggrin]

The argument that games impel anyone to commit murder or grievous bodily harm to another are trite, tired and played out. There has never been a direct correlation between the two, and if people were that easily influenced then books, ads, magazines, movies, and almost all other forms of media would be responsible for massive amounts of mass carnage.

Parents look for scapegoats as to why their children are unable to function in society and point their fingers in all other directions before pointing them at themselves.

This does not mean I condone children playing mature video games, any more than I condone children reading adult erotic literature or gruesome violent books. Simply each child develops mentally at a different rate and it's up to the parents what they should and shouldn't be exposed to.

The ratings on video games are done by the ESRB, a voluntary censorship committee which is not a public organization and is not responsible to any particular body. They are also typically made up of groups of older people who've never played a video game, and instead watch clips of the video game in action and hand down a judgement based on what they saw, not what they played.

I respect whatever decisions you make with your own children but making decisions about all videogames based on what you see on TV is pointless, and usually based in nothing more than hearsay.

Lets see..........games I like?

Well I love FPS games. It's my favorite game type. I own sh!t on COD. Both Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2. I have found a new love for racing games now that I have NFS: Hot Pursuit. I enjoy strategy games like Starcraft II. It's on my "games to buy" list. I like Battlefield Bad Company 2. Pretty good game but it's no where near as fun as COD. I also love any Star Wars game! msp_thumbup.gif

Now for my games and game types that I can't stand list.

First off, PC is the only game system. In Tman's world of awesome, Xbox, PS3, and Nintendo don't exist. I hate all Nintendo games. Can't stand the HALO series. Thats just about it.

People were killing people way before electricity, let alone movies and games. Heck, we wiped out the entire tribes of Native Americans without being "Desensitized" by Video Games.

In fact, any Archeologist would tell you that humans have been making Bone Beds out of each other for thousands of years, what do you suppose they were playing to get them to do that. Sorry, but humans are not Naturally Good and have to be trained to kill, we have to be Civilized so we don't. We must be taught to play nice together at an early age or we'd just be warring tribes of hominids.

On Topic, I love HALO and the Metal of Honor games, mostly the WW2 ones. Black Ops is ok, but too modern for my tastes. I also liked Third Peson and Driving Games, as well as a good RPG like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

I get nausea after playing video games. After only a few minutes I feel sick to my stomach. The old style didnt bother me (Nintendo 64 etc..) It started with the 360 degree gaming systems. Its too bad, I enjoyed them.

Well concerning violence and everything else the moral majority doesn't like they have blamed, (studied) this on something different for decades. Marijuana, Drinking, Rock and Roll, Kiss, Heavy Metal, etc.. I don't have children but I would probably be cautious of what they are playing to some degree at least until an age that seems appropriate to their maturity.

That said I Don't like most FPS but I love Splinter Cell other than that maybe Zelda. Love racing games.

Concerning SG's remark about Guitar players ( Not just calling you out SG) and Guitar hero I was also in the haters club for that game. Then we had a conversation at lunch one day about it. I was the only guitar player at the table with a bunch of gamers and I was complaining about it. They actually made a few good points that made me reconsider my Guitar Player bias towards the game.

1. First of all I dare to say there is not one of us who grew up in the video game generation that if we weren't already playing guitar ( and probably even if we did ) wouldn't have been crying for that game for Christmas years ago. Be honest you know you would.msp_flapper.gif

2. It's A Game just like the sports games, racing games, war games, etc... Do think the Race Car drivers are sitting around dissing the guys that play Gran Trismo or Football players hate'n on the people playing Madden? They all worked hard to perfect what they do.

3. I don't think that the majority of the kids that play this think they are and maybe don't even want to be musicians. They are gamers and some of them are pretty damn good on these things. From a gamers perspective.

4. As musicians we should be glad that there is a game that could inspire a "Gamer" to actually consider becoming a musician. I haven't seen many other games that really promote that.

5. The kids that do think that playing the game makes them a guitar player will realize soon enough that they aint' gettin' no women by playing a toy guitar!

6. Quit hatin' You know you can play... who cares what someone else spends their time doing. I agree that if they put the same amount of time in to playing a real guitar they would probably be damn good but that's not what they want to do apparently... as I said they are gamers not musicians.

Here ends my Rant

I think the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games can give some people a false sense of musical accomplishment or skill, however, I do feel they can do more good than bad.

I know people who have gone out and actually tried to play the real thing because of the game. Some of them have stuck with, others have not, but either way, it was the game which brought them to want to know more about music. I think the game forces individuals to pay attention to composition, technicality, precision, and individual instrument tracks more than they probably had before. It's interesting to get an idea of how someone "hears" music. We all hear it differently, and I'd like to know more about how trying to simulate playing an instrument changes the way someone hears a song.

When my 10 year old sort-of nephew started singing Paint it Black word for word, I knew that the game was doing good things by way of introducing today's youth to music considered to be "classic" or iconic. Far better than the mainstream hip hop crap they're bludgeoned with today, anyway...

I think the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games can give some people a false sense of musical accomplishment or skill, however, I do feel they can do more good than bad.

I know people who have gone out and actually tried to play the real thing because of the game. Some of them have stuck with, others have not, but either way, it was the game which brought them to want to know more about music. I think the game forces individuals to pay attention to composition, technicality, precision, and individual instrument tracks more than they probably had before. It's interesting to get an idea of how someone "hears" music. We all hear it differently, and I'd like to know more about how trying to simulate playing an instrument changes the way someone hears a song.

When my 10 year old sort-of nephew started singing Paint it Black word for word, I knew that the game was doing good things by way of introducing today's youth to music considered to be "classic" or iconic. Far better than the mainstream hip hop crap they're bludgeoned with today, anyway...

I will be even more honest I went out and bought it after the conversation I had with the guys at work. msp_blushing.gif To be honest I am TERRIBLE at it because you have to figure out what they want you to play rhythmically so 3 8th notes could be two clicks.... I figured if anything it would get me listening to songs but it now sits in the box covered in dust.... Ever see those kids on you tube playing on full blast? Man their fingers fly!

Yeah, no kidding, one of the guys I mentioned in my post is "one of those kids". I work with him and he's a Guitar Hero virtuoso. He's got video of himself on youtube playing the most difficult tracks on the hardest setting available. It is impressive. He went out and bought a Strat because of that game.

It is frustrating that the game can be difficult for someone who's actually played the guitar for years. You have to learn to be patient in an odd way...Certain actions like stuttering and accenting notes is obviously not always possible in the game, but as a player, you're natural inclination is to perform those actions (especially when you're very familiar with the actual song, for example), which in turn can hurt your score.

I've got a couple of the games, and being a player DID help with my initial playing. For instance, I found I could play on medium or hard, right out of the box. BUT...the solos can get crazy. I'd liken it to reading music at blazing speeds, in real time. You pretty much have to memorize the lines (or colors in this case) in order to play through them efficiently.