Gibson Brands Forums

SG pups lose power after a year?

Lungimsam

I read Angus Young saying this in an interview. Said you have to replace pups after a year.

Anyone know if this really happens? Maybe just for pros that do high volume on the road alot? 'Course, an open volume on a pup is an open pup, no matter what volume you play at the amp end?

Without having read the interview, the only thing I can assume he meant was his pups only last about a year my be due to corrosion from sweat?

I read an interview with Mark Morton of LOG who mentions having frequent pup trouble due to his acidic sweat fouling his pups.

He's even tried using the plastic covers from old EMGs to fight the sweat factor on his pups.

I've owned some very old guitars and the only thing bad I've ever experienced with pups is having them go microphonic, not lose volume.

It's got to be the sweat fouling issue, Angus gets drenched in sweat.

was his next sentence, "so be certain you replace them yearly with my signature p'up" ?

I guess loss of power/volume/tone is why all those "Holy Grail" '50s & '60s Gibsons and Fenders sound so terrible.......... :rolleyes:

Ha! signature pup...very funny!

Maybe when he was a newbie someone told him this and he has just unknowingly carried it around as fact since.

I thought it sounded funny because, if that was a fact, then everyone would always be swapping out pups and it would be common knowledge.

I love Angus but he is...ummmmm ... lets say mistakenThe pickup will not lose power after a year. Alnico magnets lose their charge at a rate of less than half a percent per 100 years. If the pickups are wax potted then they should be safe from his sweat. The pots would go out before the pickups.

Not all rock stars are gear experts.

But if that quote is exactly what he said I'm thinking he was actually joking.

Guest BentonC

Not quite sure what he's noticing there... the magnets should be the only variable there, and most of the posters here have chimed in on that one... must be from all of the duck-walking across stage night after night.

Archived