Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul 59' New Pickups

blizzardz4

Hello there everyone,

I got this new guitar for Christmas, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard 59' Reissue and I'm looking to changing the stock pickups. On my local shop I told them I was looking for something similar to the classic combo of Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz / SH-4 JB. They gave me three possible suggestions from DiMarzio (because they don't sell SD anymore in my country) which were the following :

1- Tone Zone Bridge DP155 + Air Norton Neck DP193

2- Air Classic Bridge DP191 + Air Classic Neck DP190

I'm a bit lost since I can't get good sound samples from the DiMarzio website. I'm looking for this kind of sound :

(Guitar starts at 2.40)

They don't have all the same sound but I find some resemblance between that. So If anyone could lead me to what of the above set up would give me a more close sound to what I'm looking for (or even another setup that would be close) , I'd greatly appreciate it. I tend to play a lot of 70's stuff (prog rock/soul/rock)

Hi

and welcome here.

You know what pickups are stock in this guitar ???

....Gibson USA BurstBuckers !

Why change :-k

LOL, I was just about to post something similar to this, but you beat me to it. I don't think I'd be replacing a $250 set of Gibson pickups for DiMarzio's (or anything else for that matter), but that's just my opinion.

Hey to all, and thank you for replies

To answer a few questions, I live in Portugal.

Yes I was aware that it had two Burstbuckers, it's not that I don't like the tone or the sound, I'm just looking for something diferent. And I'm not sure those pickups cost 250$, the guitar itself cost 755$ (575€)

As for the amp I use an old Laney Linebacker 30 watt, it's not much but it's what I have.

Effects I use crybaby wah wah and some boss pedals (SD-1 overdrive, DD-3 Delay, BF-3 Flanger)

Yes I was aware that it had two Burstbuckers, it's not that I don't like the tone or the sound, I'm just looking for something diferent. And I'm not sure those pickups cost 250$, the guitar itself cost 755$ (575€)

I'm not exactly sure which Burstbuckers are in your particular guitar, but here is what the "Burstbucker Pro's" are are currently going for at Musician's Friend for just one of them.... One Burstbucker from Musician's Friend

The epi's stock pickups are Gibson USA Burstbucker 2 and 3. And well, I always heard Gibson was overpriced? lol [tongue]

Okay, well the Burstbucker 2 and 3 are both selling for $159.99 each. So if you want to get rid of them, just PM me and I'll be glad to take them off your hands at a reasonable price. [wink]

Okay, well the Burstbucker 2 and 3 are both selling for $159.99 each. So if you want to get rid of them, just PM me and I'll be glad to take them off your hands at a reasonable price. [wink]

Well, I'm fairly new to this pickup thingie and I don't know much about the subject but I know that top guitarists that have guitars way more overpriced than I do still change their stock pickups. For what I read in the descriptions Vai and satch use Dimarzio's. So I just thought normally stock pickups wouldn't be as great as the ones developed by one of these companies. I can be totally wrong and it's an entire diferent reason why they change their pickups.

Anyway, If I change them there won't be a problem to selling them to you. Although I'm only going to do the change late january because the guy at my local guitar shop is going on vacations till then.

Well, I'm fairly new to this pickup thingie and I don't know much about the subject but I know that top guitarists that have guitars way more overpriced than I do still change their stock pickups. For what I read in the descriptions Vai and satch use Dimarzio's. So I just thought normally stock pickups wouldn't be as great as the ones developed by one of these companies. I can be totally wrong and it's an entire diferent reason why they change their pickups.

Anyway, If I change them there won't be a problem to selling them to you. Although I'm only going to do the change late january because the guy at my local guitar shop is going on vacations till then.

It's all about what sounds the best to you man. After all, it's YOUR guitar. I would recommend playing some guitars with different pickups in them first though. Then you can find the sound that suits you the best. I was basically just joking around because you have an awesome guitar with great pickups already in it. At the end of the day, it's all about what YOU think sounds the best.

Although I'm only going to do the change late january because the guy at my local guitar shop is going on vacations till then.

The best way to learn about pickups and guitar wiring in general is to do it yourself, why pay someone else to do what is a reasonably straightforward job.

It's all about what sounds the best to you man. After all, it's YOUR guitar. I would recommend playing some guitars with different pickups in them first though. Then you can find the sound that suits you the best. I was basically just joking around because you have an awesome guitar with great pickups already in it. At the end of the day, it's all about what YOU think sounds the best.

Yeah exacly, that's why I posted those videos so you guys could see what I was looking for. At the moment the guitar sounds a lot like the sound of Led Zeppelin / AC/DC'ish. Which is awesome don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for something else [smile]

Bem vindo ao Forum.

If you are in the Lisbon area, I strongly recommend going to Musifex as they cary SD's (at least they have on the website).

And you'd be hard pressed to find a better luthier than João Paulo.

In any case, you know you won't be able to find tone like the one you mentioned but you'd like an approximate sound.

I would suggest changing your amp rather than the pickups as you have Gibson's on your Epi.

In any case, good luck on your search for tone [smile]

Bem vindo ao Forum.

If you are in the Lisbon area, I strongly recommend going to Musifex as they cary SD's (at least they have on the website).

And you'd be hard pressed to find a better luthier than João Paulo.

In any case, you know you won't be able to find tone like the one you mentioned but you'd like an approximate sound.

I would suggest changing your amp rather than the pickups as you have Gibson's on your Epi.

In any case, good luck on your search for tone [smile]

Oh hi there,

I did go to Musifex, that is my local guitar shop. It was actually João Paulo who suggested the pickups I above mentioned. They dont sell SD anymore as far as he told me. Thing is, new pickups cost 200€ tops, and a new tube amp would be +1000€. I have in mind to buy one in the future but I don't have the money to do it right now so, I'll go with new pickups for now.

Two points of help:

1. Order a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set from Thomann.de in Germany. Great price and service............I've had them send quite a bit of stuff to the UK from guitars, to pickups.

http://www.thomann.de/pt/seymour_duncan_sshjb_jazz_rodded_humbucker.htm

2. Keep your burstbuckers. You never know when you might want to put them back in to this or in to another Les Paul. They're that expensive to buy separately it makes sense to keep hold of them.

Oh.....here are some useful installation instructions....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=100119

I don't take the strings off though........just loosen them a lot.

Alan

Archived