Gibson Brands Forums

New cases for old guitars

Montreal Roger

Hello wise Gibson forum,

I am going to be picking up a 1935 (or6) L-50 next week, and am wondering about what kind of case I should get to bring it home on an airplane. I have been looking for measurements/specs for the cases I see on the internet, and they are few and far between. My guitar is one of the 16" lower bout variety, and I am wondering if I should get a case at all, or pack it for shipment in a box. Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

Roger

I am in exactly your same boat. I have been storing our L-50 in the basement in a cardboard guitar case for 40 years and nothing has happened to it. It is 16 1/2" big bout, 12" little bout and about 20 1/2 " body. I brought it upstairs a few months ago because we need to start doing something with our old instruments. Now that my grandson is born we plan on giving the L-50 to our son to take care of it for his son. We will eventually be flying it to California. We are pretty sure we are going to buy a SKB-18 on Amizone for $100. Our kids play string intruments and we have spent money on fancy cases but the sturdy SKB cases that are not fashionable but cheap, seem to do a great job protecting the instruments that we have stored in the basement. They are almost crushproof and padded. I don't worry about the cases getting broken or scratched. I actually bought a SKB cello case when I flew his cello out to him (yes we had to by a seat for it). I would never check or ship an instrument. His wood case is still at my house because it is too big and breakable. SKB cases are relatively lightweight too. Congratulations on your new L-50 Linda

TKL Case out of Canada is the OEM case supplier for Gibson. You can e-mail or call them with the model number and dimensions of your guitar and they will tell you exactly what cases (model numbers) they make for Gibson that is designed to fit the guitar in question.

Although TKL does not sell to the general public, you can then shop retail for the specific case by model number (they will even give you the name of retailers in your area). TKL also makes at least three grades of each size case (good, better, best), so you can pick your price point.

I believe their e-mail address is info@tkl.com, or check their website for "contact info".

I just bought a new TKL case for my 1947 L-7 in this manner. It's a great case with perfect fit and finish, and was very reasonably priced.

I am in exactly your same boat. I have been storing our L-50 in the basement in a cardboard guitar case for 40 years and nothing has happened to it. It is 16 1/2" big bout, 12" little bout and about 20 1/2 " body. I brought it upstairs a few months ago because we need to start doing something with our old instruments. Now that my grandson is born we plan on giving the L-50 to our son to take care of it for his son. We will eventually be flying it to California. We are pretty sure we are going to buy a SKB-18 on Amizone for $100. Our kids play string intruments and we have spent money on fancy cases but the sturdy SKB cases that are not fashionable but cheap, seem to do a great job protecting the instruments that we have stored in the basement. They are almost crushproof and padded. I don't worry about the cases getting broken or scratched. I actually bought a SKB cello case when I flew his cello out to him (yes we had to by a seat for it). I would never check or ship an instrument. His wood case is still at my house because it is too big and breakable. SKB cases are relatively lightweight too. Congratulations on your new L-50 Linda

Thanks - I will look into that case. I like the price for sure!

TKL Case out of Canada is the OEM case supplier for Gibson. You can e-mail or call them with the model number and dimensions of your guitar and they will tell you exactly what cases (model numbers) they make for Gibson that is designed to fit the guitar in question.

Although TKL does not sell to the general public, you can then shop retail for the specific case by model number (they will even give you the name of retailers in your area). TKL also makes at least three grades of each size case (good, better, best), so you can pick your price point.

I believe their e-mail address is info@tkl.com, or check their website for "contact info".

I just bought a new TKL case for my 1947 L-7 in this manner. It's a great case with perfect fit and finish, and was very reasonably priced.

Thanks - I think they also supply cases to Martin, as I got one when I bought my D-16 GT a few years ago. I will check them out as well.

I don't know if it is just me, but this is the best and most informative fourm around! :)

Please show us some pics of this beauty when you get it!

Archtop.com is always a good source for everything archtops. They list a nice case on the accessories page that will fit your guitar perfectly.

As for flying with the guitar, if you don't get a flight case, like a Calton or similar, I'd recommend the Frank Ford method.

Thanks! Very informative sites...

Nothing beats a Calton case for flying

Yeah, and nothing beats the price (as in Highest Price Wins).

The best and most expensive case on earth, and completely out of reach for the working stiff. I keep a standing search on e-bay for a used one for my L-5. They do pop up now and then, but I just can't justify the price (even used).

As for the L-50 in question that started this thread, you would pay more for a new Calton case than you could sell the L-50 for (a used one would be about equal).

Well Calton cases are one of the few guitar related things that were originally made in the UK. Keith Calton has actually improved his designs compared to the licensed Canadian equiv. I've just ordered one and paid £388 for it. Which I consider a fair price as they're all hand made etc. Also, if your serious about touring, or live playing, you won't risk leaving the house in one of those aesthetically pleasing but ultimately joke cases Gibson provides with the standard models.

Please show us some pics of this beauty when you get it!

Archtop.com is always a good source for everything archtops. They list a nice case on the accessories page that will fit your guitar perfectly.

As for flying with the guitar, if you don't get a flight case, like a Calton or similar, I'd recommend the Frank Ford method.

Thanks for the info. I will probably get my tuners from there at least.

I have a great little 00 sized Martin R-18, which is a bent top floating bridge guitar> I just can't find a hard case for that size guitar. Presently, I have it in a padded gig bag. Some of these older guitars like the L-50 and R-18 are just odd sized, and difficult to fit. Good luck in your search!!

Thanks for the comment. I love those Martins as well!

Yeah, and nothing beats the price (as in Highest Price Wins).

The best and most expensive case on earth, and completely out of reach for the working stiff. I keep a standing search on e-bay for a used one for my L-5. They do pop up now and then, but I just can't justify the price (even used).

As for the L-50 in question that started this thread, you would pay more for a new Calton case than you could sell the L-50 for (a used one would be about equal).

I am curious about that - they must be great cases.

Well Calton cases are one of the few guitar related things that were originally made in the UK. Keith Calton has actually improved his designs compared to the licensed Canadian equiv. I've just ordered one and paid £388 for it. Which I consider a fair price as they're all hand made etc. Also, if your serious about touring, or live playing, you won't risk leaving the house in one of those aesthetically pleasing but ultimately joke cases Gibson provides with the standard models.

Thanks! I appreciate the words, but my guitar playing is not at the touring level. Upright bass, now that is a different matter! Also love your name, and the band that inspired it.

Archived