Gibson Brands Forums

80s rock guitar tone?

Dom_JEM

NO!!!! Don't get this pedal! msp_scared.gif

It sounds awful! I have it and it's a $40 waste of money. Do what dem00n said and get the No Brainer. I think it's just what your looking for. msp_thumbup.gif

Well, that's interesting. The DS-1 was probably one of the most used distortion pedals in the '80s.

It was also used on countless hit records.

So I couldn't disagree more.

I think it sounds great!

80's tone and no one mentioned a tube screamer??? msp_blink.gifmsp_blink.gifmsp_confused.gifmsp_confused.gif The Hair metal part pretty much = Start Style guitar with a Duncan JB, Into A Tube Screamer into PQ3 (The secret weapon) , Into Marshall. Tah Dah!!!! msp_cool.gif

NO!!!! Don't get this pedal! msp_scared.gif

It sounds awful! I have it and it's a $40 waste of money. Do what dem00n said and get the No Brainer. I think it's just what your looking for. msp_thumbup.gif

Meh....It's not bad I had one I liked a long time ago.

Maybe its not the pedal.

Oh trust me, it was definitely the pedal. The thing was horrible. I just couldn't manage to get a decent tone out of it. I just replaced it with a Big Muff Pi. And it was like BAM! Amazing distortion and sustain at the click of a button. It was pedal, for sure.

Well, that's interesting. The DS-1 was probably one of the most used distortion pedals in the '80s.

It was also used on countless hit records.

So I couldn't disagree more.

I think it sounds great!

The DS-1 used to be made in Japan in the 80's,

some say the Taiwan made version is not that great in comparison.

If you look on eBay the Japan version is probably going for more $$$.

Oh, yeah! [biggrin] I actually used to get some pretty good tones out of mine by using a speaker sim (Redbox) on it.

The factory presets were buzzy, but with some tweaking (and the Redbox) it was tight. [thumbup]

Damn missed this one. Yes they were all over the place in the 80's and early 90's. I never owned one but had some friends that did and they got pretty good tones out of them. We sold them at the music store I worked on and I was able to get a pretty convincing Judas Priest tone out of it using an EQ before the pre-amp and an EQ after the pre-amp. Boost the mids in and suck them back out after the pre and they sounded pretty good.

The DS-1 used to be made in Japan in the 80's,

some say the Taiwan made version is not that great in comparison.

If you look on eBay the Japan version is probably going for more $.

I think you may be right on this one. The one I had I got in the early 80's and sounded very good in front of a Solid State amp. I picked up a new one cheap a year or so ago and didn't like it at all but I figured it was due to running into a tube amp or that my ears and taste have changed. Probably a combo of all of the above.....

Archived