Gibson Brands Forums

Pots for MIK Riviera

jammybstard

Anyone know what size pots I need (as in hole diameter) to fit an MIK Riviera Valensi? I think the current pots have an 8mm hole.

I want to replace one of the volume knobs with a push/pull knob so I can reverse the phase of a Humbucker for a jangly sound.

In the UK I can order Allparts "500K push/pull audio taper potentiometer w split knurled shaft" from a couple of places but I don't know if they will fit without drilling!

Any help please.

"Drilling" is easier than it sounds. Just take a piece of sandpaper (nothing too coarse, maybe 400 grit), wrap it around a pencil shaft, and bore out the pot hole by hand. All it takes is a bit of faith, some patience, and a little bit of work, maybe 5 minutes per hole. I did exactly that on my WildKat, and it was dead simple.

That sounds like a nice safe technique thoughI'm not too bothered about the drilling part; but if I understand it right; if I go from a metric pot to a US Pot the top hat won't fit. And from there it escalates into changing all the pots and the hats. Which I would like to do but it'll cost a lot for no real gain over just getting a metric push/pull.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Anyone know what size pots I need (as in hole diameter) to fit an MIK Riviera Valensi? I think the current pots have an 8mm hole.

I know very little about the Riviera. As you are saying that it is MIK, the pots are most likely metric.

If you pull one of the knobs off you could check a couple of things.

The metrics are coarse spline. (18) The thread diameter should be (as you stated) about 8mm.

U.S. pots are fine spline. (24) The thread diameter would be 3/8" or slightly over 9mm.

Due to the depth of push pull pots (and me knowing nothing about your guitar) I would also make sure the guitar is deep enough to accommodate it ... not to mention getting it into the guitar in the first place.

I also do not know if your guitar has full size or mini pots?

I hope others can be more help.

Willy

You shouldn't have to worry about the pot being too tall - I just installed push-pulls on my Dot and they fit just fine. If I am not mistaken, the Riviera is the same body style?

I have used the Allparts push-pulls on my Les Paul and my G-400 and did not have a problem with using the old knobs. I used the push-pulls sold by GFS on my Dot (which was also made in Korea) and did not need to enlarge the hole, and the top hats went back on without a problem.

Archived