Gibson Brands Forums

24 month financing on some Gibby's - Amazon

EvanPC

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_158389822_3?ie=UTF8&node=2206379011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0TAE3EDEX62RX4AS3B8V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1276335902&pf_rd_i=11091801

So being somewhat new here, I'm not sure if something like this would be old news or common knowledge, but while searching the web for guita related merchandise, I stumbled on this "special" from Amazon.

They're offering 24 months no interest on select Gibson's (with an Amazon store card). Last I knew, it was not too often that you could find financing on Gibson's, but perhaps in commonplace with online shopping.

Anyway, thought I'd let you all know in case you already did not.

Watch the fine print, eh?

As long as it's a closed term.

I posted a story earlier this year about a $900 Les Paul Studio costing something like $2,500 before all was said and done.

Credit destroyed in the process.

"12 months/Same as cash" offer at GUITAR CENTER

If it works though, it means more Gibson sales - a good thing.

When I bought my SWD from Andertons in the UK, they offered me 18 months 0% credit. Straight up - 10% deposit and the balance over 18 months. Great stuff. I bought it over the phone, but they had the same deal in store and the price was the same as a credit deal or cash/cheque/card.

I purchased my Studio from GC with 12 months/Same as cash.

I love finding financing like this. Makes these kinds of purchases much easier. But yeah, read the fine print.

If I were looking for a Gibson, I would probably reall consider something like this. 24 months and no interest? Awesome, as long as everything else is legit. Amazon seems like a pretty reputable company...

Not a bad deal if you are wanting to finance, then you can sign up for the Amazon Prime free month and get free 2 day shipping!

I have a steadfast rule that I don't finance toys, which makes for a longer wait sometimes but I like it when its free and clear!

Not a bad deal if you are wanting to finance, then you can sign up for the Amazon Prime free month and get free 2 day shipping!

I have a steadfast rule that I don't finance toys, which makes for a longer wait sometimes but I like it when its free and clear!

Good advice. I've used it but only when I actually have the money up front and just can't get them to come down any more on the price. So, 6 or 12 months no interest is money in the bank earning interest instead of paying interest.

I know people that have gotten into trouble buying stuff on these no money down, no payments, no interest deals. 12 months go by, something happens along the way, and they don't have the money to pay it off = 30% interest.

Good advice. I've used it but only when I actually have the money up front and just can't get them to come down any more on the price. So, 6 or 12 months no interest is money in the bank earning interest instead of paying interest.

I know people that have gotten into trouble buying stuff on these no money down, no payments, no interest deals. 12 months go by, something happens along the way, and they don't have the money to pay it off = 30% interest.

6 or 12 months no interest is a good deal, if you stick with the plan. I watched a friend buy a boat on terms and then months later had some hefty bills come up unexpectedly and it really threw them in a bind. Since then it for me it has to be a necessity or I wait until I have the cash. Its those unexpected things that I fear!

Just comes down to people being responsible for themselves. I would say that if you're anywhere close to having the possibility of something coming up, and all of a sudden you can't make the payment, then you shouldn't be buying the guitar in the first place. Financial responsibility or lack thereof, is atrocious in this country. There's no mistaking that. Don't mean to sound harsh though.

Again, I love the option for financing on things like this. As long as people are honest with themselves and their situations, and I don't see how it could ever be a bad thing.

I don't see how it could ever be a bad thing.

If you miss the deadline by a minute, or underpay by a penny.

THAT'S how a $900 Les Paul Studio can cost $2,500.

I would say that qualifies as a bad thing.

Few people who have fallen prey to it will talk about it openly - they're too ashamed.

This is a dirty little secret that millions of people working in (or studying) finance understand completely.

I could expand this into a societal discourse, but I digress.

The reason GUITAR CENTER does this?

It works!

That's why they push it.

But once you sign on the dotted line, GUITAR CENTER is done with you.

They got paid.

You're on your own.

After 31 days, you have zero recourse.

Furniture stores are probably the worst, certainly one of the BIGGEST offenders in volume and dollars.

Not saying nobody should do it, but I look at it as swimming with sharks.

I don't care how learned or capable a swimmer you are - they're STILL sharks, and they will STILL kill you.

Cash is King, Debt is dumb, Credit is crazy.

ESPECIALLY for a toy.

$.02 from some guy on the internet.

You took my statement out of context. I think we all know what can happen when you don't pay off the balance by the end date. Of course that would be a bad thing.

Not to mention...cutting a check for 2 grand can put you in just as much trouble.

Got 3 in the bank.

Cut a check for 2.

Car breaks down, and you need 1,500...you're stuck.

You can split hairs and come up with a number of scenarios in which each pay method is better or worse. I'm just saying, for some people, financing could and does make sense.

Many of what I consider to be my big purchases were financed 6, 12, 18 months no interest. I never had a problem and the option suited me perfectly. Again, if you exercise fiscal responsibility and are honest with yourself, this option should be beneficial.

I agree that companies that run these finance offers are sharky. Still I often take advantage of them. Why lay out all that money at once? I'm a poor teacher. I walk out with a guitar or some furniture and they hold the note. I rarely even make payments (unless they are required). I just pay it off at the end. Meanwhile I've used my money elsewhere (sometimes even to make money) while they waited. I win. In fact I have been wanting and SG for slide, but didn't want to spend the money at Christmas. I may just order and SG Special faded and let Amazon wait 24 months for my paltry $699! Go me!

Hey, it's layaway on steroids. No fees, and you get to walk away with your gear. But like mentioned, you've got to be responsible if you don't want the 28.9% attached to your purchase. That's how they make $. They count on the ones that don't stick to the plan.

Archived