Gibson Brands Forums

pick ups

djroge1

Hey guys/gals - I don't really visit the acoustic section much but thought I'd drop in for a question about acoustic pick-ups.

I have a rather inexpensive fender acoustic guitar which I've had for 20 years now - sounds better now that's it has aged actually.

I'm looking for a good pick-up to install but NOT a peizo. The problem is one cannot just go to a music store and open a pup, install and try it out.

I don't know why, but I'm looking at the LR Baggs M1A active pup. What do you think? Good choice, bad choice? Other suggestions?

Hi, I tried the M1a and was very,very disappointed with the tone.

To me it sounded phasey, unaural and generally way below par. I could not imagine playing out with it, which is a pity.

In the end i didnt try other magnetic pickups and stuck to piezo fishman pups, supported by fishma aura spectrum DI.

So, probably not much help other than suggesting to avoid the M1a and try out a few others.

cheers.

Hey guys/gals - I don't really visit the acoustic section much but thought I'd drop in for a question about acoustic pick-ups.

I have a rather inexpensive fender acoustic guitar which I've had for 20 years now - sounds better now that's it has aged actually.

I'm looking for a good pick-up to install but NOT a peizo. The problem is one cannot just go to a music store and open a pup, install and try it out.

I don't know why, but I'm looking at the LR Baggs M1A active pup. What do you think? Good choice, bad choice? Other suggestions?

I prefer passive (meaning no flippin' batteries) soundhole pickups. The ones I use are all 50 to 60 years old but that is the sound I like (or maybe am just used to). The really good quality newer pickups like those made by Sunrise are pretty pricey. You might take a look at the pickups Seymour Duncan offers. Someone recently gave me an older Duncan SA-1 pup. Alot more acoustic sounding than my old DeArmonds. Not the best balanced pickup I have ever heard but they are pretty cheap and easy as pie to install. Best part, ya can plug them into any old amp you want.

Archived