Gibson Brands Forums

Your Acoustical Performances!!!

duane v

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed mixing my cover version of Gordon Lightfoot's "The Circle Is Small". I'm adding it to the CD I put out every Christmas for friends and family.

The Circle Is Small

Guitars:

Gibson J200

Taylor GA12 12 string

Gretsch G5122

Rickenbacker 4003 bass

Drums, Strings and Piano - Edirol Midi

Tracked with Sonar X1 Producer

Final Mix - Sony SoundForge

MP3 conversion - Acoustica WAV to MP3

acousticcover72.png

I just completed mixing my cover version of Gordon Lightfoot's "The Circle Is Small". I'm adding it to the CD I put out every Christmas for friends and family.

The Circle Is Small

Guitars:

Gibson J200

Taylor GA12 12 string

Gretsch G5122

Rickenbacker 4003 bass

Drums, Strings and Piano - Edirol Midi

Tracked with Sonar X1 Producer

Final Mix - Sony SoundForge

MP3 conversion - Acoustica WAV to MP3

acousticcover72.png

Good job I like it.

Wow, great vocals, good work. Hard to judge the real tone of the guitar through this recording. Sounds a little tight from being new, I always found maple needs some time to warm up and open up. She will sound awesome in a few years.

I have recently acquired a J-200. Thought I'd do a quick run through a few standards and I chose to record a video of me playing 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. The picture quality isn't great as it was recorded on the inbuilt webcam on my laptop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sjfFovP1A

Wow, great vocals, good work. Hard to judge the real tone of the guitar through this recording. Sounds a little tight from being new, I always found maple needs some time to warm up and open up. She will sound awesome in a few years.

Thank you for the kind comments - agree about the sound; obviously not ideal and the video doesn't recreate the sound in the room. Anyway, thought I'd post its 'sister' video up too for comparison. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV2ra5VPFvQ

• Upvote 1

Just an amateur picker/songwriter somewhat intimidated by you good folks but here goes nuthin'. Wrote this for Aunt Johanna last month; a wonderful lady who spent her last couple years in a nursing home. Broke our hearts to see this beautiful, vibrant lady succumb to the disease that accompanies long life. Didn't have my J45 at the time; Nothing fancy... recorded with a USB mic and a Guild 12 string.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10967354&q=hi&newref=1

Just an amateur picker/songwriter somewhat intimidated by you good folks but here goes nuthin'. Wrote this for Aunt Johanna last month; a wonderful lady who spent her last couple years in a nursing home. Broke our hearts to see this beautiful, vibrant lady succumb to the disease that accompanies long life. Didn't have my J45 at the time; Nothing fancy... recorded with a USB mic and a Guild 12 string.

http://www.soundclic...4&q=hi&newref=1

Good job on your song. I can feel the emotions in your lyrics.

• 2 weeks later...

I recorded this last weekend, but not with a Gibson. [scared]

There were, however, a few Gibsons in the room sympathetically vibrating. [rolleyes]

I Don't Want to Grow Up

we just bought our joint Christmas present, an XBOX 360 and to test it was working, spent three hours loving shooting all the 'badddies' in Halo 2, so your song resonated with me a lot!

Great stuff [thumbup]

As stated before, just an amateur Singer/Songwriter with a story to tell. We're in a court batttle trying to get custody of our granddaughter. We raised her for the first seven years of her life. She's such a beautiful young lady (in most part, thanks to her grandma) and her biological dad has now decided he suddenly wants to enter her life:

This is for Maddie: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11271895&q=hi&newref=1

• 4 weeks later...

Some genuinely great performances here!!

Here is a different take on the Robert Johnson classic "Love In Vain"

Done in the style of Texas Bluesman Rambling Thomas.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/VJpjCrO9Xvs

Regards

Ian

was that The Robert Johnson you were playing too? Both you and Jerry are playing quite small bodied guitars yet the projection is superb in both, my loudest classical guitar is a parlour shaped guitar made by a guy called Tony Johnson. Live it is great; you play a bass and you can feel the note ringing through you and the chair; it is just so resonant!

Very coo playing and singingl!

you and that guitar together are a greet combination! msp_thumbup.gif what model of guitar is it Jerry? Nice tone

Matt

It's a Martin 2008 00-18vs, which is a custom designed by members of the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum. I was at Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto recently having some strap buttons put on and started playing this while I waited. After a couple days the thought of it was corroding my brain so I went back and bought it. It's only a little smaller than a Blues King but the sound is so different. Churchy with never ending sustain. Playing it is like the way I fiddle with the black keys on a piano with the sustain pedal held down. It comes across kind of bass heavy on recordings so I need to work on the recording setup to capture a more genuine sound.

Monkethanger, on 01 January 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Some genuinely great performances here!!

Here is a different take on the Robert Johnson classic "Love In Vain"

Done in the style of Texas Bluesman Rambling Thomas.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/VJpjCrO9Xvs

Regards

Ian

Really like this - great playing and Clapton-esque voice!

was that The Robert Johnson you were playing too?

Very coo playing and singingl!

thats just too good

Thanks for watching and comments.

Guitar is a J185 60th Annivarsary custom Quilt model purchased just befor Xmas. FIrst GIbson I have owned and am loving the tone straight out of the box.

Riffs are based on a Woody Mann lesson on the style of Texas Bluesman Ramblin Thomas, done around Robert Johnson's Love in Vain.

• Upvote 1