Gibson Brands Forums

Your Acoustical Performances!!!

duane v

I just recorded a cover of the James Taylor song "Fire and Rain".

Soundclick Link:

Fire and Rain

Acoustic: J200

Bass: Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Drums, Keys and Cello: Edirol Quartet and Orchestral Midi Samples

Many thanks to James Taylor for showing me (finally) how to play this magnificent song!

Here's a video from James on how to play it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTjd4sna_4o

Nice job on Fire and Rain guitar work sounds great [thumbup] - really impressed that most of the backup instruments are digital samples, I'm still trying to figure out how to record just one track in Garage Band. [crying]

Thanks Dan! :)

I don't know about GarageBand. I use Sonar X1 on a PC. But routing MIDI triggers to Synths and then bouncing them to audio tracks is not intuitive at all! It took me a LONG time to figure it out to the point I could pump a MIDI track through a synth and get a wave form audio out of it. I still don't really know how it all works with the channels and the patches. I just know what buttons to push to make it go through my Edirol synthesizer (basically samples of different instruments).

Here is a screenshot of my Sonar X1 program with Fire and Rain loaded (two screens). This is a huge image so I'm only linking it here:

Screenshot Sonar X1

The screen on the right has the three synthesizers (Edirol Orchestral and SuperQuartet and Cakewalk Drumkit). The tracks that are muted (yellow buttons) are the MIDI tracks which are patched through the synths and then "bounced" into audio tracks which are labeled below. Only the audio tracks can be edited and output as a wave file.

Usually I'll bounce the MIDI drum track and other instruments I don't play (piano, strings etc.) and then use those as a bed to lay over the guitars, bass and vocals. I've made my own MIDI tracks (drums mostly) but usually it is easier to use someone else's already created MIDI file as the bed and just use the tracks I want. You know those free MIDI files that sound like crap on your computer? Put them through a good synth and you can almost not tell it isn't a real instrument.

Huh ? [huh] I am SO lost.

Ooops. Sorry. Made it more complicated than it needed to be.

The "notes" in a MIDI file are not really music; they are just triggers. You can make them trigger any sound you connect it to using a software synthesizer. When you play a MIDI file on the web, it is just your computer giving the "triggers" a voice... usually a really awful computerized sounding voice. If you have the right voices (called samples) you can have the MIDI notes trigger samples that were recorded from real instruments. That's what I've done with the non-guitar tracks in my cover song.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooops. Sorry. Made it more complicated than it needed to be.

The "notes" in a MIDI file are not really music; they are just triggers. You can make them trigger any sound you connect it to using a software synthesizer. When you play a MIDI file on the web, it is just your computer giving the "triggers" a voice... usually a really awful computerized sounding voice. If you have the right voices (called samples) you can have the MIDI notes trigger samples that were recorded from real instruments. That's what I've done with the non-guitar tracks in my cover song.

Your cover of Fire n Rain is excellent Drathbun..very pro sounding

I use pro tools and drum tracks downloaded from web. What midi files are you using for your drums? Do you make them yourself?

also you play keyboard i take it?.. very nice

Another wee bit of fun from the end of the night at rehearsals, as usual accompanied by cheesy iMovie effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXK55DzMmjs

Sounds a bit funky on this one, had to compress it down a lot as it was loud and there was some clipping.

You guys are good PM.. nice upbeat stuff..I bet you are fun to see live... what shoes ya got on in these vids then ? [tongue]

You guys are good PM.. nice upbeat stuff..I bet you are fun to see live... what shoes ya got on in these vids then ? [tongue]

He bought them from the lad at his local chip shop. Which begs the question. If you cover Paolo Nutini's 'Brand New Shoes', do you have to change the title?

haw haw, touché msp_laugh.gif

He bought them from the lad at his local chip shop. Which begs the question. If you cover Paolo Nutini's 'Brand New Shoes', do you have to change the title?

Don't knock it, I got a chicken supper and two bags of chips thrown in msp_thumbup.gif

Your cover of Fire n Rain is excellent Drathbun..very pro sounding

I use pro tools and drum tracks downloaded from web. What midi files are you using for your drums? Do you make them yourself?

also you play keyboard i take it?.. very nice

Thanks Del! I'm still not happy with it. I think I'm going to re-record the guitar part with my Songwriter instead of the J200. The J200 seems a tad harsh here. As to the drums, they are just part of the midi file I downloaded from the web. I get rid of all the tracks but drums and keys and use the midi to trigger my drum and keyboard samples. I play a bit of keyboard, but not enough to play a part like this. On my cover of "Everything", I took a stab at figuring out the chord shapes (the keys part on that song is basically plunk plunk chord chord). I played it using my little MIDI keyboard.

Thanks again for your comments and for listening! [biggrin]

http://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/driving-wheel-1

I did this on Garage Band with a Snowball Mic. I played the drums, the bass, the acoustic and electric guitar, and sung the two vocal tracks, which need a little help finding pitch at times.

If you have any suggestions on how to make the vocals less forced, I'd love to hear.

I did this on Garage Band with a Snowball Mic. I played the drums, the bass, the acoustic and electric guitar, and sung the two vocal tracks, which need a little help finding pitch at times.

If you have any suggestions on how to make the vocals less forced, I'd love to hear.

I love that. That is like early Eagles, Grateful Dead, Michael Murphy, etc. The vocals are fine.

Most excellent ! Love the style, and all the instruments, wow, I would never have the patience, metter of fact I don't even have the patience to figure out Garage Band. I have a soft voice - and find that the microphone needs to have a giant amount of sensitivity for me to sound good. I have no idea what a snowball microphone is, but I think you'd have fun with a large diaphragm condenser mic.