Gibson Brands Forums

Your Acoustical Performances!!!

duane v

Not sure about this reply, Nick?

Here, a Wowser is a non drinking, non smoking, religious extremist with a lock on his wallet..... commonly known as a 'party-pooper'.....

I have been called many things, but......

BluesKing777.

We're just two people separated by a common language.

Here it's just an exclamation of awe.

Can't imagine you as any type of party pooper.

Guest J-Doug

...you've got to give a little, take a little And let your poor heart break a little That's the story of, that's the glory of love.

Yes it's me fingerpicking the old pop tune.

Billy Hill's The Glory of Love on a Martin 000-28VS recorded with a Zoom H2n. From an arrangement by Stefan Grossman based of the playing of Big Bill Broonzy.

http://soundcloud.com/tripleohdoug/glory-of-love

I hope you like it.

Really good, Doug. One of the first fingerpicking tunes I learned, and yes, is pretty easy once you learn the patterns. Simon is truly a genius to create that guitar part to sound like a lute to fit the period of the song. And it doesn't hurt that he had a custom Guild F-30R that sounded amazing when capoed at the 7th fret. He's the master.

DC

Standard tuning, capo 7th fret.

Here's the basic pattern. 0=fretted string

PLAYED FIRST (like an Am 7th position)

Fret 10: |_|_|_|_0_|

Fret 11: |_|_0_|_|_|

PLAYED NEXT

Fret 9: |_|_0_0_|_|

The most difficult thing is figuring out the picking pattern. Once you get this down, you can continue to the next part.

Thanks all! I have a number of S&G tunes that I play regularly and this one has just been added. I play:

Homeward Bound

The Boxer

I Am A Rock

America

Bookends

livemusic: I used this really nice video to help with the patterns. The guy doesn't speak at all.. just plays each section at speed and then slow. Very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LisLYZHht4A&index=5&list=FLbT6bph6TcR-6ByiXzU3RYg

Really good, Doug. One of the first fingerpicking tunes I learned, and yes, is pretty easy once you learn the patterns. Simon is truly a genius to create that guitar part to sound like a lute to fit the period of the song. And it doesn't hurt that he had a custom Guild F-30R that sounded amazing when capoed at the 7th fret. He's the master.

DC

Don`t forget Martin Carthy showed Paul Simon how to play this arrangement, something he only got the credit for in recent years.

Steve.

Gee, Bill, I really love your voice, and this song.

To my ear, the cello distracts from both the vocal and the guitar, but if it were mixed down a bit, it might be better. The other option, since it's a fairly long song, would be to introduce the cello for one verse only, or maybe the second chorus and bridge.

I think you just want to play with the variations a bit to see what works best. Do you have a producer on this one, or are you doing it yourself?

Gee, Bill, I really love your voice, and this song.

To my ear, the cello distracts from both the vocal and the guitar, but if it were mixed down a bit, it might be better. The other option, since it's a fairly long song, would be to introduce the cello for one verse only, or maybe the second chorus and bridge.

I think you just want to play with the variations a bit to see what works best. Do you have a producer on this one, or are you doing it yourself?

On this particular song, I am producing it, even though my engineer is also a producer by trade and is helping me with the project with not only engineering/mixing but also lends producer type skills. He struggles to choose on this one, as well. But, it's up to me.

I can't see suddenly bringing cello in far deep into the song. That would sound odd to me. Like, where did the cello suddenly come from! As for it being a distraction, it is not to my ear. I love it. But, that's just me. To me, it's a matter of... this lyric is all about "me alone," so, we could say that prosody could be enhanced by it being just that (no cello). Although, if we want to get technical, that would mean it would need to be acapella, no guitar, lol.

I like it as guitar/vocal only but love the cello with it, too.

Beats me, looking for opinions to see if I can find a consensus.

It surely stands alone - a touching fine fine song.

Must say I'd go for the cello. The role is well-arranged and top performed - is it the real thing ?

You take it out in the beginning of the second verse, which is a good move.

Could even be done in end of the first chorus after "I aim to please" and then reintroduced as done on "just now me and him" - maybe with the deep note on 1:20 in also, , , slightly dampened.

Hey, what do I know - these were my 5 Yen.

In or out, the tune is major .. .

It surely stands alone - a touching fine fine song.

Must say I'd go for the cello. The role is well-arranged and top performed - is it the real thing ?

You take it out in the beginning of the second verse, which is a good move.

Could even be done in end of the first chorus after "I aim to please" and then reintroduced as done on "just now me and him" - maybe with the deep note on 1:20 in also, , , slightly dampened.

Hey, what do I know - these were my 5 Yen.

In or out, the tune is major .. .

Yes, it's a real cello. Thanks.

Amen on the cello. For me it adds to the atmosphere of the song. It helps set the mood. I'm a long time fan of the cello and fiddle in folk/country tunes. The cello is great for setting a sad and somber tone. The fiddle can be sad/somber/happy. I think any instrument that can add to what you're trying to say in a song is a good choice. I like your lyrics too, especially the internal rhymes. They move the song along for me. One thing I can't hear is much of a distinction between the verse and the chorus. If I wasn't reading the lyrics as I listened, I might not have noticed you had moved into the chorus. That said, I simply like this song a lot. I really like the place you are writing from. It's real. It tells me a lot about who you are. "This Old River" is another good one. Shows me how you look at things. Keep writing and I'll keep listening. [thumbup]