Gibson Brands Forums

Your Acoustical Performances!!!

duane v

I am new to the board and thought I would tell a bit about myself and see what you guys think of this song I wrote.

I am 20 and from Texas, and I have been composing solo acoustic music since I was 16. I wrote and recorded this a few nights ago with a cheap

little recorder. Definitely John Fahey inspired.

https://soundcloud.com/hayden-pedigo/the-bill-orcutt-commemorative

Nice. Got lyrics and a melody in mind? What guitar did you use?

I actually don't have lyrics because I don't usually sing. I prefer to write instrumental.

On this piece I actually used a really beat up taylor that someone sat on putting a hole in the front. Traded it for a some headphones

I had when the dude showed me the sad beat up taylor. Sounds great though

Whereas, awhile back, BBG asked how I liked Buc's hand-me-down capo; and

Whereas some folks here were lately discussing intonation up-the-neck, with or without capo-ing; and

Whereas in the recent LG-2 American Eagle thread I was reminded of my young stirrings for an early Paul Simon song;

Now therefore:

I went and did a quick experimental recording: Kathy's Song

in which I use the aforementioned capo (I love it--especially the thin profile!) on the 9th fret (no re-tuning was needed....and I cannot detect any intonation issues, but perhaps more keen ears can). Of course, there is a loss of volume at that "altitude," but I was impressed that I could slap the capo on the 9th fret and not adjust tuning one bit.

Now, I sometimes perform or record with a capo sitting as high as the 7th fret but never further up than that. (No good reason, that I know of.) So it was fun to see if I could even manage it, while testing the capo and my J100xtra's response.

My fretting hand did alright, as far as string pressure goes, but my usually careless right-hand attack required some extra-added attention, with only moderate success. Them strings are stiff when they're shortened that much.

Point is--I had a bit of fun, and nothing broke!!

[scared]

Whereas, awhile back, BBG asked how I liked Buc's hand-me-down capo; and

Whereas some folks here were lately discussing intonation up-the-neck, with or without capo-ing; and

Whereas in the recent LG-2 American Eagle thread I was reminded of my young stirrings for an early Paul Simon song;

Now therefore:

I went and did a quick experimental recording: Kathy's Song

in which I use the aforementioned capo (I love it--especially the thin profile!) on the 9th fret (no re-tuning was needed....and I cannot detect any intonation issues, but perhaps more keen ears can). Of course, there is a loss of volume at that "altitude," but I was impressed that I could slap the capo on the 9th fret and not adjust tuning one bit.

Now, I sometimes perform or record with a capo sitting as high as the 7th fret but never further up than that. (No good reason, that I know of.) So it was fun to see if I could even manage it, while testing the capo and my J100xtra's response.

My fretting hand did alright, as far as string pressure goes, but my usually careless right-hand attack required some extra-added attention, with only moderate success. Them strings are stiff when they're shortened that much.

Point is--I had a bit of fun, and nothing broke!!

[scared]

Terrific. What guitar? Very interesting up that high.

Terrific. What guitar? Very interesting up that high.

That's my maple J100xta. With even the skinny capo, there was barely enough room for my hand, so it was a bit of a challenge.

I don't have intonation issues (that I can discern, anyway) when I use the Shubb or Keyser up to the 7th fret, but both were too bulky up where the fret territory thins out. And since the neck is wider, the Keyser loses its bite up there anyway.

Here is the keyser up on the 7th for a live recording from last July- this, recorded by my Zoom pointed at the house speaker, so it's the factory Fishman PU (thru a DI and then into the PA).

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel/keep-my-peace-live/s-t2O8D

All the variables aside, it's the guitar that rings true all the way up the neck, for as far as it's worth my going at least.

Cheers!

I've been listening to a Shetland air written by Tom Anderson on YouTube called "Da Slockit Light" and came across a video of Barbara Shultz playing it on octave mando....and thought I'd play along and record it. Here's how it came out using my new Tascam DR-05 recorder and my wonderful J-35. DADGAD tuning, capo on 7th fret. BTW, since this tune is an air, it's usually played at about half this speed, but it was fun playing at this speed. You can definitely tell the mando is coming through the computer speakers and the J-35 is live.

https://soundcloud.com/tags/da%20slockit%20light

Here's my son and I doing this great old Charlie Rich song (he didn't write it though) I'm playing my newest guitar a Gibson Super Dove...we just learned this song yesterday and recorded it about an hour later

How cool is that? Playing music with your son -- and a great job to boot! [thumbup]

Very nice! Really a great sound together. Not a tune I'm familiar with but a lovely melody. My awareness of the octave mando is only recent since I've been listening to gal named Sara Jarosz. Liked this a lot. Thx for posting.

Thanks! Glad you like the tune. This is a tune my band does, but as mentioned, much slower. Barbara plays it kind of choppy and is normally played much more flowing, but it was still fun playing along to Barbara's version. I just wanted to show how nicely the J-35 fits into this genre of music...and how good it sounds. :) Wonderful guitar.

Love Sara Jarosz and she's very good on octave mando. But if you want to hear some truly incredible octave mando, check this out. Sierra Hull is at another level!

Here's my son and I doing this great old Charlie Rich song (he didn't write it though) I'm playing my newest guitar a Gibson Super Dove...we just learned this song yesterday and recorded it about an hour later

Great! Very nice guitar/piano combo, the latter adds depth.

Here's a link to my acoustic duo playing a sampling of tunes. Using my J-200 through a Fishman Soloamp...

You guys are great Kevin, I like the idea of using a harp on Cripple Creek-I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense-consider that idea now officially STOLEN

You guys are great Kevin, I like the idea of using a harp on Cripple Creek-I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense-consider that idea now officially STOLEN

Thanks Jimi -- and steal away! I use harp on quite a few tunes -- typically where a guitar solo would be. Tends to go pretty well. Unfortunately, I forgot to hit "record" for much of the night and failed to get our best stuff -- another time, I guess. Since we're just starting out, I wanted a few demo clips up for prospective gigs.

Play on brotha :)

DRC, that is really sweet. I enjoyed that tune. As stated, the instruments blend well. I've always liked mandolins, but your guitar makes its mark also. Nicely done, my friend. If you get anymore audio/video files of your music, lets see/hear them. [thumbup]

Thank you! And thanks to jannusguy2 for the kind words. Here are some other audio files.

Hmmmm.... Just tried posting four audio files but for some reason won't let me do it. I've posted many before. ????? When I get this figured out, I'll post them. Does this forum not accept Media Fire files?

DC