Gibson Brands Forums

Your Acoustical Performances!!!

duane v

Thats great AJ, I really like the way you guys combine together, and in particular the vocal harmonies, that is very cool. Something I really need to work on personally. Thanks for sharing mate !

First time for me on this thread I think. Here is Robbie Gladwell, Ashley Bartlett and myself playing Gibsons, Chet Atkins, J185 and Songwriter Deluxe respectively.

An old Zombies song inspired by hearing the great Paul Weller doing a cover of it, I heard on the radio a few months ago.

It's from my little handheld so the quality is not too good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsaMvr_3w0

Last Monday we participated in the Christchurch Earthquake fundraiser on the banks of the Vlatava River in Prague.

There were a number of bands including us doing our little covers, jsut as a two piece that day. It was a great event and several thousand dollars were raised from raffles and auctions.

Here is a video of us perfroming Use Somebody by Kings of Leon from the event.

Hope you enjoy it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn3IQ6wZJRo

cheers,

Mark

Nice! I love the easy energy you guys have-- I wish I'd been there hear more. [thumbup]

Thanks a lot Anne, it was a lot of fun performing in a nice, relaxed environment, and for a great cause !

If youre ever in Prague drop in when were playing ! :-)

cheers.

Nice! I love the easy energy you guys have-- I wish I'd been there hear more. [thumbup]

Here's my latest YouTube posting:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhanners23?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/60pEpeLIRmI

It is a cover of "The Wabash Cannonball," with a twist. I was fooling around with the tune and began wondering what it might sound like in a minor key. It just always seemed to sound to "peppy" to me for a train song about hobos. So This was my result.

Dhanner, I thought that was way, way cool !

I dont know the song but it sounds great in minor key, fits right in, and I in particular love all the slurs and hammer ons you throw in there, gives the song a great driving feel.

Really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing !

Here's my latest YouTube posting:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhanners23?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/60pEpeLIRmI

It is a cover of "The Wabash Cannonball," with a twist. I was fooling around with the tune and began wondering what it might sound like in a minor key. It just always seemed to sound to "peppy" to me for a train song about hobos. So This was my result.

I rememberd this one today.

And since the basic track is me singing and playing my beloved j-45, i thought i post it here. This was meant as a joke at the time (posted under comedy on youtube). Gibsons call for the Dark Fire Contest "inspired" the song. It was written in about 10 minutes and recorded the same day. All other instruments were overdubbed with real instruments (the e-guitar is a 1968 Gibson Melody Maker that i sold recently, lap steel is Gibson br-9).

I got a lot of hateful comments on youtube at the time. Most of the folks did not get the joke. besides the stupid lyrics, I kind of like the music.

By the way, whats the trick to embed the video here?

Dhanner, I thought that was way, way cool !

I dont know the song but it sounds great in minor key, fits right in, and I in particular love all the slurs and hammer ons you throw in there, gives the song a great driving feel.

Really enjoyed it and thanks for sharing !

Thanks for the kind words. "The Wabash Cannonball" is an old American folk song. A number of people have covered it over the years, and if you look around YouTube, you can find some real good versions of it. (And very different form mine.) For example, there's a version of the late Jerry Reed doing it. Boy, that guy was hot.

My philosophy in covering a song is that you might as well bring something different to it, or bring in your own personality. So I decided that since it is a song about the hobo life, I should stick it in a minor key.

So here's the latest. Decided to write a song about the flooding along the Mississippi this spring. I went online and read some articles from a few of the papers along the path of the flood, and was struck by a piece in the Southeast Missourian written after the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers blew some some levees in an attempt to keep the river from flooding Cairo, Ill. (And for our friends living outside the U.S., the Cairo in Illinois isn't pronounced like the city in Egypt. It is pronounced "care-oh.") Of course when they blew the levees, the river flooded farmland in Missouri, and that's what this song is about.

Didn't use the J-45 for this one, though. Used a StewMac kit guitar (with D-18 specs) built by a guy in Browerville, MN. Cosmetically, it's not too pretty, but I love the sound.

Anyway, here's the song:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dhanners23?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/I7ZpDR4JV1s

I've revised the lyrics since filming the song. Here is the current version, and, as always, it is copyright 2011 by David Hanners. And if anyone knows any Big-Time Nashville Star who is looking for a flood song for his/her next big album, tell 'em I'm available....

The Great Flood of 2011

I stood upon the makeshift shores of Highway 102

And looked at what a river could do

I'm tempted to think these fields will never be the same

But they will ‘cause they’ve got my family name

(chorus)

You can dynamite the levees, let this river roll untamed

But when the water goes down these fields still have my family name

My name is Bob Timmons and I’ve lived here all my life

Like grandpa and my dad before me

Grandpa made it through the flood of 1937

Dad survived the one in ‘73

I wish both of them were here with me now

Teach me what they learned about stayin’

Maybe all I need to know is I’ll still wake up tomorrow

And these fields will still have my family name

(chorus)

(bridge)

They said to save Cairo, the levees had to go

I'm just a poor Missouri farmer, so what do I know?

Roofs and barns and diesel tanks float to New Orleans

In a river that’s three miles wide

Each one from somebody’s family farm

I just hope nobody’s died

And my name is Bobby Timmons, I will live here all my life

I plant soybeans, corn and some grain

No other work I know how to do

In these fields that have my family name

(chorus and end)

• Upvote 1

Last week my brother and I were invited in a local german TV music show called Backstage.

It was an Interview and we played two songs with our Gibsons (J-45 Legend and J-45 TV).

It was a nice event and it was funny but I was a bit nervous…;-)

Please take a look if you are interested.

Cheers

Markus

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VYaGVlYUxAg

Last week my brother and I were invited in a local german TV music show called Backstage.

It was an Interview and we played two songs with our Gibsons (J-45 Legend and J-45 TV).

Cheers

Markus

Fine performance, Markus. Two very nice guitars, and you and your brother did a great job with the tune.

(And completely off-topic, what is it with German women and red hair? My second ex-wife, whose mother was German, had hair that shade of red, and when I took a trip to Munich with her, it seemed so many women had red hair. What's up with that?)

Thanks David for your words...

Here in Germany there are many women with red hair, many of them are "original" others coloured it to get red hair. But I don't know why, I think they like it...;-)

Here is a new video from last saturday. We had a gig and we played the last 2 songs outside unplugged in the night. It was a great and have a good time because the people sung the chorus with us.

The video is a bit dark because it was 11pm but the sound of our J-45's are very good.

Homeward Trail unplugged @ night

Christy Moore invited me to sing this song at a concert he gave celebrating 100 years of the SIPTU trade union here in Ireland.

The song will be on my new album which is with the manufacturers as we speak.

OK, here goes.......gulp.......I recorded this today - my 1st effort since starting to learn guitar 6 years ago.

I know the vocals suck but hope you'll forgive me that as I'm playing my beautiful J-45!

Edited - 2nd take trying different key (Bb vs A)

Fine effort Lefty, and congrats for having the guts to make your first recording. The J-45 sounds great and just how it should. Vocals just a little flat but that can easily be worked on.

Thanks for sharing, and also, I love your fireplace !

OK, here goes.......gulp.......I recorded this today - my 1st effort since starting to learn guitar 6 years ago.

I know the vocals suck but hope you'll forgive me that as I'm playing my beautiful J-45!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epWPP3Hhl5w

Fine effort Lefty, and congrats for having the guts to make your first recording. The J-45 sounds great and just how it should. Vocals just a little flat but that can easily be worked on.

Thanks for sharing, and also, I love your fireplace !

Thanks Aussie, yup I know vocals are flat, finally nailing a recording certainly highlights what I most need to work on. But, how best to improve that flatness? Any tips?

Fireplace is great, but not used very often as its in our front hall, where we have piano & guitars etc.

I would suggest practicing scales, like a C major scale from a piano or guitar, lots on youtube referances. Record yourself as you do the scale as see if you are flat or high, then correct it.

Secondly just re-record the song but try singing it generaly a half note or note higher, staying concsious that you need to be higher than the previous effort. When you hit the right note you'll know it as you will feel the harmony with the instrument.

you can also transpose the song to fit your vocal range through different key /chords or capo.

I have same problem, often sing flat but it is about that confidence, warming up your vocal chords and also very important to use your diaphram with singing, activating that will by default give you a bit more oompf and also let you go a bit higher.

Thanks Aussie, yup I know vocals are flat, finally nailing a recording certainly highlights what I most need to work on. But, how best to improve that flatness? Any tips?

Fireplace is great, but not used very often as its in our front hall, where we have piano & guitars etc.

I would suggest practicing scales, like a C major scale from a piano or guitar, lots on youtube referances. Record yourself as you do the scale as see if you are flat or high, then correct it.

Secondly just re-record the song but try singing it generaly a half note or note higher, staying concsious that you need to be higher than the previous effort. When you hit the right note you'll know it as you will feel the harmony with the instrument.

you can also transpose the song to fit your vocal range through different key /chords or capo.

I have same problem, often sing flat but it is about that confidence, warming up your vocal chords and also very important to use your diaphram with singing, activating that will by default give you a bit more oompf and also let you go a bit higher.

thx for the tips. I'm still trying to fathom out which key is best for my voice.....

I rememberd this one today.

And since the basic track is me singing and playing my beloved j-45, i thought i post it here. This was meant as a joke at the time (posted under comedy on youtube). Gibsons call for the Dark Fire Contest "inspired" the song. It was written in about 10 minutes and recorded the same day. All other instruments were overdubbed with real instruments (the e-guitar is a 1968 Gibson Melody Maker that i sold recently, lap steel is Gibson br-9).

I got a lot of hateful comments on youtube at the time. Most of the folks did not get the joke. besides the stupid lyrics, I kind of like the music.

By the way, whats the trick to embed the video here?

Loved the song! Nice playing & those J-45s just sound great don't they?

Cheers

Markus

Beautiful pair of J-45s & nice songs guys. Pity I couldn't understand the interview - I last learnt German at school over 30 years ago!

Beautiful pair of J-45s & nice songs guys. Pity I couldn't understand the interview - I last learnt German at school over 30 years ago!

Thanks for watching the video, Lefty. Yes too bad that it's only in german. But i will try to translate it with subtitles one day...;-).

Cheers Markus