Gibson Brands Forums

Your Acoustical Performances!!!

duane v

II played Latin American, Spanish and also English pieces today, this was taken just before I went on officially and is by the English composer William Walton[biggrin]

Matthew, your performances are always incredible. Thanks.

I can't believe I've missed this thread for so long. I've been watching everyone's performances for an hour now and great stuff by all.

Here's one I wrote for my wife of 30 years. Posted it in the Gibson lounge awhile back but more appropriate for here I suppose.

Played on my Epi IB Texan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJjG2pFDXU&feature=player_detailpage

I really wish that I could express things through only the instrument like that cookie.

My attempt at a bluesy song. You can hear a few points where my voice gets over powered by the guitar, and one part where I cut it because there was dead space where I screwed up and tried to recover but over all I am fairly happy with it.

bull frog blues.mp3 - 2.29MB

Here's an audio/video recording I just put on YouTube of me playing "Classical Gas" on my 1956 NY Epiphone FT79 (pre-Texan. When Gibson bought Epiphone they expanded the FT79 to be the FT79 Texan...and the rest is history). The '56 FT79 appears in the video when I'm wearing the larger plaid shirt. When I'm wearing the smaller plaid shirt, the video shows me playing my 1994 Gibson 100 Year Anniversary Gospel...I ran short of photos of me and the FT79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8X7TFZ4K2Y

Hope y'all enjoy!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

So last night .... we had our return gig at the Hard Rock Cafe in Prague after a break of a couple months.

Naturally it was great to be back at this uber cool venue with an appreciative audience.

We recorded the show and I though I'd post a couple of the tracks.

We've been learning some tracks that have a funky rhythm basis as these tracks really work in large venues, with a strong upbeat feel.

First on is Last Night by The Strokes which combines a really clever use of octaves and funk rhtythm (not to mention a wacky solo).

Second track was voted by NME magazine as one of the best tracks of the last 20 years, Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand. Its a really well structured track as it has a killer driving bass line before moving into a sing along funk rhythm. As the NME wrote, first half of the track is for the boys, second half for the girls.

I used my SWD for the whole show but had the SJ as a backup incase my G-string popped .. :-)

Hope you enjoy it, any feedback or suggestion always welcome !

cheers.

Last Night

Take Me Out

ps: sounds much better at 480 than 360

Here's my 1st effort at recording a Bluegrass fiddle tune. I know I need to learn to play a lot faster, but that takes time.

I used my loop machine to lay down the backing rhythm & had trouble maintaining the same pace as you will hear when the loop starts again!

• Upvote 1

Nice work Lefty! I think youre doing just fine and that J-45 sounds great for bluegrass.

Im just getting into bluegreass patterns myself and I know what you mean, but the key is to getting it rights is definitely starting slower and clean and then pickup the pace once you have the confidence.

I found bluegrass to be fantastic training to getting a steady, right rhythm going, in addition to all the cool bass runs which also is really good practice. I foudn this training really helped me with playing more 'modern' tunes that we play out.

thanks for sharing !

Here's my 1st effort at recording a Bluegrass fiddle tune. I know I need to learn to play a lot faster, but that takes time.

I used my loop machine to lay down the backing rhythm & had trouble maintaining the same pace as you will hear when the loop starts again!

Nice work Lefty! I think youre doing just fine and that J-45 sounds great for bluegrass.

Im just getting into bluegreass patterns myself and I know what you mean, but the key is to getting it rights is definitely starting slower and clean and then pickup the pace once you have the confidence.

I found bluegrass to be fantastic training to getting a steady, right rhythm going, in addition to all the cool bass runs which also is really good practice. I foudn this training really helped me with playing more 'modern' tunes that we play out.

thanks for sharing !

Aussie, you are so right - Bluegrass is wonderful training for many styles of guitar playing. My annual visit to Kaufman Kamp is worth 6 months of solo learning.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a note on my SoundClick site last week asking for an acoustic version of Staind's "Tangled Up In You". So I took the vocal track off my cover version and recorded the lead vocal as a lead guitar solo on my SWD. I thought people might light to hear it.

Tangled Up In You

The guitar is tuned one half step lower (Eb) and then the low E string dropped to Db.

What a pleasent surprise ! I was literally listening to Aaron's EP this morning before going to work, my favourite piece of music right now.

Very well played, the SWD sounds great, really good clarity and warmth, lovelly. What strings are you using btw if I make ask, and how old were they ?

Ive been trying to have a go at country boy but came to the conclusion i just dont have the vocal depth to give AL justice. Put it in the cupboard for now, maybe a bit later.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it very much !

I got a note on my SoundClick site last week asking for an acoustic version of Staind's "Tangled Up In You". So I took the vocal track off my cover version and recorded the lead vocal as a lead guitar solo on my SWD. I thought people might light to hear it.

Tangled Up In You

The guitar is tuned one half step lower (Eb) and then the low E string dropped to Db.