Gibson Brands Forums

Headstocks!¿?

Patrick-

Hi! My name is Patrick and i'm from Argentina...i have a Gibson Les Paul Studio (i had to work for months in a call center to get the money!!!! Here guitars are freaking expensive!)...so, like 3 months after i bought it when i was taking it out the case i accidentaly bang it against the case...nothing serious, just a tiny piece of paint...some months later it hit other guitar while playing...again...just a little piece of paint of the headstock...a few days ago a stupid drummer (nothing against drummers, this one particularly was plain stupid) hit it against a drum when he was looking at it...so far and thanks God, Hendrix and all the other guitar players that take care of us from above, i don't see any cracks or something like that in the surface, but i'm really scared that internally the guitar may be f**cked up! I know headstocks are Gibsons Les Paul weak spot, any advice besides the normal "be carefull with your guitar you stupid kid!" (seriously, i'm really carefull with my guitar, i handle it better than any girlfriend i've ever had...i want to know if there's any way to know if somtheing's wrong with the headstock, and any advice you could give me about it will be very useful!

Thank you all for your time!

Patrick

Hi! My name is Patrick and i'm from Argentina...i have a Gibson Les Paul Studio (i had to work for months in a call center to get the money!!!! Here guitars are freaking expensive!)...so, like 3 months after i bought it when i was taking it out the case i accidentaly bang it against the case...nothing serious, just a tiny piece of paint...some months later it hit other guitar while playing...again...just a little piece of paint of the headstock...a few days ago a stupid drummer (nothing against drummers, this one particularly was plain stupid) hit it against a drum when he was looking at it...so far and thanks God, Hendrix and all the other guitar players that take care of us from above, i don't see any cracks or something like that in the surface, but i'm really scared that internally the guitar may be f**cked up! I know headstocks are Gibsons Les Paul weak spot, any advice besides the normal "be carefull with your guitar you stupid kid!" (seriously, i'm really carefull with my guitar, i handle it better than any girlfriend i've ever had...i want to know if there's any way to know if somtheing's wrong with the headstock, and any advice you could give me about it will be very useful!

Thank you all for your time!

Patrick

At least we all now know why you've had so many girlfriends!

I suspect whether there has been a weakening of the headstock would depend on just how hard it's been hit, (up to 3 times now!).

I had one break in it's case on a train go Oregon years ago, (not a Lester, but a Gibson). I suspect it got hit pretty hard, and the case wasn't exactly the right size for the guitar.

Maybe some pics?

As a general rule all Gibson headstock breaks (or cracks) look somewhat identical. It will look like a "smile" line (or "U" shapped crack) at the back of the headstock/neck area, running from the bottom area of the headstock down to about the middle of the first fret area. The stress point will first show up as a hairline crack in the finish.

There is no way to repair a "hairline" crack in this area, and the repair is easier, and better when, and if, the headstock snaps completely off (or almost completely off). Give this area a good visual inspection and keep an eye on it. If there is a stress fracture in this area the constant string tension will let you know pretty quickly in the form of tuning stability issues (strings going flat), and/or visual signs.

Hope all is OK.

Edit - Added info after looking at photos: Regardless of where the "impact" occurred, the point of "failure" is still as I have described above.

Your guitar is fine. The joint between the angled headstock and neck is the Achilles' heel of the Les Paul, but not to the point where a stiff gust of wind will send your headstock flying off. Your guitar should be able to stand some wear and tear but be careful, and keep your instrument in the case when you are not playing it! And don't let your drummer touch it!

Thanks for the answer! I'm going to upload a picture i just took of the headstock and wait the diagnose doc!

Shoot.... I've got bigger divots than that on my eyeball! (but keep yer Lester away from drummers!)

Your headstock is fine.

Congratz, and welcome to the forum.

Yup !! Keep your Gibby away from your drummer's hands....You've seen what they do with pieces of wood !!!!!!! The only drummer I'll let touch my Guitars is Mayer Shabetay...When on a stand at band practice or jamming, keep the stand away from moving objects like people and drummers, and drum kits......And dings do add character to guitars......

Yup !! Keep your Gibby away from your drummer's hands....You've seen what they do with pieces of wood !!!!!!! The only drummer I'll let touch my Guitars is Mayer Shabetay...When on a stand at band practice or jamming, keep the stand away from moving objects like people and drummers, and drum kits......And dings do add character to guitars......

Yep they get wood in their hands and they want to bang it on stuff!!! Every band has a few musicians and a drummer!!!! msp_tongue.gif

Yes, the one "bad" thing about a Gibson design neck and headstock is that it is not good to use as a bayonet when there are problems on a saloon gig when you are a young musician. Some other brands of guitars work much better.

How do I know?

Don't ask. <grin>

m

Yes, the one "bad" thing about a Gibson design neck and headstock is that it is not good to use as a bayonet when there are problems on a saloon gig when you are a young musician. Some other brands of guitars work much better.

How do I know?

Don't ask. <grin>

m

[thumbup][biggrin]

Archived