Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute Goldtop middle pickup?

PESIMAX

Hello, I've had my 50's tribute goldtop for a month now, I'm wondering if you guys think it's a good idea to add a middle humbucker ala townsend. Also Do you think it would de-value the guitar if i got it done by a good luthier. In england their like hens teeth.

All the best

G

I'd put a p90 in the middle. [thumbup]

But then again, I don't use the middle pickup on any of my guitars and have contemplated the idea of taking out those on my strats [biggrin]

If you are planning on selling the guitar, don't do it, it will take from the price. But if you really like her and want a middle pickup, go ahead, it should look good and gives you more tonal options. You will need to change the switch too. Maybe one of those 6 position switches Page used? I've seen them for sale in stewmac (I think)

Townsends' middle pups were coil tapped / split with a DPTP switch, his trademark tone from that period used the middle pup in single coil mode. If you're after the sound as well as the look, you'll need a switch somewhere. There are numerous wiring and switching options. The wiring is just as trick as the carpentry.

As I posted in another thread, I've put middle humbuckers into 3 Les Pauls, I think they look great but they don't add much tonally unless you add the split/tap option.

Townsends' middle pups were coil tapped / split with a DPTP switch, his trademark tone from that period used the middle pup in single coil mode. If you're after the sound as well as the look, you'll need a switch somewhere. There are numerous wiring and switching options. The wiring is just as trick as the carpentry.

As I posted in another thread, I've put middle humbuckers into 3 Les Pauls, I think they look great but they don't add much tonally unless you add the split/tap option.

cheers, maybe I should go for a humbucker in the middle then and add the tripple shot pickup ring so i can do out of phase and coil tapping without having to drill (any more) http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/

Hello Pesimax! I would change the P90's to mini's and add a Dimarzio humbucker in the middle...and the six-way switch seems to be a great idea too. BUT I would only do this if I had a second Tribute for this modification, because the P90's are so great and I want to keep my GT in stock condition, since any mod will devalue the instrument as stated before.

Hello, I've had my 50's tribute goldtop for a month now, I'm wondering if you guys think it's a good idea to add a middle humbucker ala townsend. Also Do you think it would de-value the guitar if i got it done by a good luthier. In england their like hens teeth.

All the best

G

Hi There,

Ive got a `70`s Goldtop that I put back together after it had spent 3-4 months in a wet case, in a basement of a house that was wiped out by hurricane Katrina,(see avatar. Ive found that if you want some different tones without devaluing the guitar try a tube screamer,their awsome!!!!

It somehow just works really well with mini humbuckers?

Cheers,

Terry

ps Im a luthier based in UK so I must be a hens tooth eh???

Hi There,

Ive got a `70`s Goldtop that I put back together after it had spent 3-4 months in a wet case, in a basement of a house that was wiped out by hurricane Katrina,(see avatar. Ive found that if you want some different tones without devaluing the guitar try a tube screamer,their awsome!!!!

Cheers,

Terry

Hello Terry! Tube Screamer for tone, is like WD-40 for mechanical devices!!! Awesome pedals! My favorite is the TS-10. Best regards... Bence

Hi There,

Cheers,

Terry

ha sorry i was refering to the 50's trib goldtop not luthiers lol. I might have a look at those tube screamers. *Nearly* everyone else i've spoke to has said just leave the guitar as is, maybe I should. I was thinking of maybe getting a Piezo bridge for it, but it might not be worth it. I'm definatly getting a vibramute and a bigsby though so i'll post some photos when i've put that on. Cheers for all your help.

ha sorry i was refering to the 50's trib goldtop not luthiers lol. I might have a look at those tube screamers. *Nearly* everyone else i've spoke to has said just leave the guitar as is, maybe I should. I was thinking of maybe getting a Piezo bridge for it, but it might not be worth it. I'm definatly getting a vibramute and a bigsby though so i'll post some photos when i've put that on. Cheers for all your help.

Good move,

It actually fattens the sound without more distortion.

Even Les Paul used `em as does Gary Moore!!

Cheers,

|Terry

Drifting a bit OT, I love my Tube Screamers. Two common ways to use them, crank up the OD when playing at lower (clean) amp volumes, or use just a bit of it to drive the front end of the amp when playing at higher levels. Both sound great. Another popular option is to run two, one into the other. Gives the choice of two different settings without resetting the unit, plus being able to have one drive the other, getting a really cool effect.

My larger pedal board (Pedaltrain PT-2) has a vintage TS9 and a reissue TS 808. Liked them so much, that setting up a smaller board (a Pedaltrain PT-Jr.), I bought a reissue TS9 and another TS 808.

Hello all! What I do with my Tube Screamer (TS-10) is to boost and color the signal prior to overdriving it. I set the Drive at 2, Tone at 6-7, Level in the middle. Then the signal goes to Ibanez MS-10 Metal Charger (almost same as TS-10 but with 5 JRC chips) which adds the desired overdrive effect. The MS-10 is as set like this: Distortion at 8, Level in the middle, Attack at max, Punch at 8 and Edge at 9. Works great with both my Ibanez RGA and LP Tribute.

Hi Terry! Keeley's wizardry is great! Unfortunately when I contacted them asking for a DIY kit for my TS9DX they said they don't have such. I have to send the pedal them to US for modification, which would cost way too much...

Hello all! What I do with my Tube Screamer (TS-10) is to boost and color the signal prior to overdriving it. I set the Drive at 2, Tone at 6-7, Level in the middle. Then the signal goes to Ibanez MS-10 Metal Charger (almost same as TS-10 but with 5 JRC chips) which adds the desired overdrive effect. The MS-10 is as set like this: Distortion at 8, Level in the middle, Attack at max, Punch at 8 and Edge at 9. Works great with both my Ibanez RGA and LP Tribute.

Hi Terry! Keeley's wizardry is great! Unfortunately when I contacted them asking for a DIY kit for my TS9DX they said they don't have such. I have to send the pedal them to US for modification, which would cost way too much...

Hi There,

Thats a shame cos they are brilliant!!

Here in the UK we can buy the pedals from a dealer here.

E Bay???

Terry

Hi There,

Thats a shame cos they are brilliant!!

Here in the UK we can buy the pedals from a dealer here.

E Bay???

Terry

Hello again! I know it is possible to buy modded ones. Even closer than UK, they have a dealership in Croatia. The problem is that I already had this pedal, when I first heard about Keeley. I can only afford one, if I could sell mine, which will be losing like 50% of it's price. Maybe a bit later, now I have some more important things on my wishlist, - like a new LP Studio 60 - to save money for. That's why I was thinking about a DIY kit. Cheers! Bence

Archived