Gibson Brands Forums

Best Amp for an SG???

Bldsnn

I have an SG '61 reissue and I'm saving up for a new amp.

I would like to know which amp you think goes best with an SG,

I'm not an impulse buyer, so i'd like to form an opinion. I don't have

a tube amp (never had one) and thought it was time to consider buying one.

(I have a Roland Cube 60. Nice amp, but I'm starting to dislike the overall sound of it.)

It's going to be at least several months before I'll have the money. (800-900 euros, think that's around $1100)

All the time in the world to decide and go try out different amps.

The vox ac 30 caught my eye, is it any good? [confused]

Thanks.

I have a fender telecaster and an SG special, My only amp just now is a fender blues junior. The telecaster sounds fantastic through it and for clean or classic rock the SG sounds great too. If you want more gain, overdrive/distortion etc go with marshall

Recently got myself a Marshall JMP 2204 head 1982 model, i gave 1000 euro for it. Kinda felt it was made for sg, drive it with 2*12 cabinet. But you gotta play loud before the good stuff happen. For home use a guy at the local guitar shop praised the new 1 watt blackstar valve combo.BTW great looking sg you got

The vox ac 30 caught my eye, is it any good?

AC30 is a killer amp. To me the most basic, bare bones amps tend to sound best; something without a master volume to start (although the AC30 has one). I am also knob averse so you can factor that into my comment. What kind of music do you play?

Nice guitar. Make sure you play a lot of amps to find the right one to make that beauty sing.

Well, it's got to be an amp I can use without making the audience deaf.

I have my own PA system in case it's not loud enough so no need for a 50W Marshall [biggrin]

I once left a bar because of a thin lizzy tribute band doing a gig with a pair of marshall

half stacks playing at stadium volume. I might have stayed to listen if I had some earplugs

with me that day.

It don't want to take such a risk because I have a drummer that likes playing

very loud and I want her focused on the music and not following a loud amp...

I play straight forward rock music. (My playing style is very Kurt Cobain-like) My band has only two members.

People always think we're a white stripes cover band or something, but we play our own songs. I like amps that can handle

heavy genres, but I also like playing calmer stuff (mostly ending in overdrive and perhaps a killer (extended) solo B) )

I like to fiddle with knobs on an amp, but I don't like it if there's too many options and settings (like on the cube 60, I only use the clean channel with a distortion pedal in front of it).

The Vox AC30 appeared to be somewhere in the middle. Enough to work with... And still capable of doing what the cube does now...

but sounding better while doing it.

As for the guitar... IT ROCKS! It sounds brilliant even if it's completely unplugged... (To bad my girlfriend doesn't see the difference between my strat copy and this beauty...They're both black you see:P )

I've heard great things about the Bugera V5. It can run at .1W for headphones, 1W for nice overdriven tones in the bedroom without bothering everyone. and 5W to jam or drive the optional 4x12's or mic it to a PA. I do not have one, but have been admiring them from afar.

http://www.bugera-am...roducts/V5.aspx

They look nice.

There's even a shop within 20miles of my town that sells these [biggrin]

I have exams till the 5th of feb so I'm kind of tied to my books right now... shouldn't be dreaming about a new amp...

oh well... [biggrin]

Well I'm currently admiring Egnator amps such as the Rebel or the Tweaker. Plenty of knobs and switches to fiddle with and super basic valve sounds. The Rebel 30 combo, in particular, looks to have about everything you'd want from an amp for both home and gigging duties.

Looks like you have one of the black Gibson 61 Reissues from 2007 that was a GOM (guitar of the month). If it is, I have one just like it. As for me, I have a Marshall Mode 4 full stack. Based on your needs, maybe a Gibson half stack would suit your needs well. I would suggest that you take your guitar to a store with a variety of amps and let your ears do the listening.

AC30 is a killer amp. To me the most basic, bare bones amps tend to sound best; something without a master volume to start (although the AC30 has one). I am also knob averse so you can factor that into my comment. What kind of music do you play?

Nice guitar. Make sure you play a lot of amps to find the right one to make that beauty sing.

Vox AC30, wouldn't hesitate to try that one, plenty of balls and not weighed down with effects

At least get a tube amp. One thing I look for is cabinet construction, go with plywood not particle board, imo. That rules out Bugera.

I play Mesa Boogie but SGs sound awesome through Fender, Marshall, and Orange (no surprise, right?) I avoid Chinese if I can so that takes most Vox amps out.

I think the Marshall Haze is made in India and have serious QC issues.

You don't have to worry about blowing your audience out with a 50-watt Marshall either if you can use your Gain and Master volume stages competently.

For the money, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(40-watt 1X12)is a killer amp.

Thanks for the advice! I will be able to test some amps first week of feb, so plenty of time to research en read reviews.

No sales person will be able to fool me by then. B)

Looks like you have one of the black Gibson 61 Reissues from 2007 that was a GOM (guitar of the month). If it is, I have one just like it. As for me, I have a Marshall Mode 4 full stack. Based on your needs, maybe a Gibson half stack would suit your needs well. I would suggest that you take your guitar to a store with a variety of amps and let your ears do the listening.

It's a 2007 but I think it was GOTW that year [biggrin] . To me it looks and sounds awesome.

And the neck is perfect! (I really like the slim profile)

Since you are in Europe I would advise a good hard look at Laney Amps (they can be hard to find in USA I am told). I have been looking for a new Amp lately and Laney seem to represent the most for your money from a highly respected company. In particular look at the Laney Cub head for a great deal on real all-valve technology if you dont need too much volume. As I recall that particular one gives you a choice of output at either 15W or less than 1 watt. It will be my bench-mark when I come to part with my cash.

Of course, if money was no object, and I wanted a lot of volume, with classic tone, I would be heading straight to a Marshall dealer.

I recently bought an Orange Dual Terror with a orange 2*12 open back. I havent tried it at higher volumes with my SG yet but I used it on rehearsal with my Suhr S1 and it sounded amazing. Texas blues, rock and metall all sounded great. Very articulate, organic and dynamic sound.